TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
chadfetter

MFSLive won't recognize new WD 1TB Drive

I just bought a new WD 1TB drive to replace the dead drive in my Series 3. I have made my bootable MFSLive CD, and booted to it. After it scrolls through all of my system information, I page through it, and there is no mention of my new drive hooked up to my SATA cables. I have verified that my BIOS recognizes the drive, but MFSLive does not. Does the drive have to be formatted prior to using MFSLive?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
chadfetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfetter View Post
I just bought a new WD 1TB drive to replace the dead drive in my Series 3. I have made my bootable MFSLive CD, and booted to it. After it scrolls through all of my system information, I page through it, and there is no mention of my new drive hooked up to my SATA cables. I have verified that my BIOS recognizes the drive, but MFSLive does not. Does the drive have to be formatted prior to using MFSLive?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
When the MFS Live cd v1.4 is booting up, that's not specialized TiVo-wrangling software doing it, it's just a version of Linux, and it should see all the drives connected.

Do this

fdisk -l

and see which drives get reported as what

Then do

pdisk -l

and see what gets reported.

Sometimes

fdisk -l

will hit an optical drive, choke on it, and not keep going through the rest of the drives.

But if for example you have no PATA drives, your Windows drive is the on the first SATA port, your dvd drive is on the second SATA port, and another hard drive is on the third SATA port, it may report

/dev/sda

(the Windows drive)

and then get confused when it gets to

/dev/sdb

(the optical)

and never mention

/dev/sdc

but if you do

fdisk -l /dev/sdc

it will report on that other hard drive and only on the other hard drive, because you've added the argument

/dev/sdc

after the option/switch

-l

so it won't do the default it otherwise would of everything if there was nothing after the

-l

(Those are lower-case Ls, and not 1s, by the way)

Although not quite the same as the DOS fdisk command, the Linux one also is setup to take notice of DOS/IBM-PC style Master Boot Records and partition tables, and does not speak Apple Partition Map at all.

pdisk

on the other hand, won't notice an MBR, but only an APM.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote