TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #61
JudyLew

Good evening folks. Gee, after I closed FireFox and ran my cleaner, it sure was fun trying to get to this discussion thread again! Glad I found you.

Anyway, I want to thank BobCamp1 for the thought that I should let the machine "do its thing" for a while.

I'm happy that I now have guide data (and therefore "to do" items) thru Jan. 6.

Machine says it will make a daily call after midnight tonite, so I'll not mess with it for the time being.

Best wishes to you all. ♥ ♥
JudyLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #62
brendag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
I never got the "Only X days of guide data left" message. If I had not been looking in my FIOS outgoing call logs, I would never have noticed my Tivo was having problems.
Yes it could be that others don't even know they have the problem. I knew something was up because shows were not having descriptions as to what the episode was about. I saw that it had be several days since a successful call happened. I knew I had had this issue before, and started trying to fix it. I never figured out the true cause when it happened the last time.. I just knew it eventually worked again.

Many people probably don't report the issue to Tivo because they don't even try to come to a forum like this. They just think, oh its old, its dead.. get a new one.

Last edited by brendag4 : 12-26-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added the word "don't" to "even try"
brendag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #63
brendag4

Quote:
I'm guessing that the POP provider that Tivo uses reduced the number of available phone numbers due to lower traffic. Or maybe two POP providers merged into one company.
When I manually dialed the dial in number and listened in, I was getting modem sounds of trying to make a connection... so the # was not totally dead. Well of course it wasn't.. I was getting a "Downloading" message.

In a way my comments were right... that the dial up number has changed and that is the reason for the issue. People are calling an invalid number so their guide data begins to run out. Even though people are using Turbocards (etc), it still wants a valid phone number.

It must be that the phone numbers change, but Tivo does not update users that they need a new number for many days. I couldn't even connect to get a new number when the problem first started. The user is given no indication that their number is bad. if I remember right, when I got a notification that I needed a new number.. the problem was already fixed by then or almost fixed. (I think it was fixed before I even got a new number list which wouldn't seem to be possible.)

Did you see my post where I said I put ,#401,phone number in the dialing prefix? (Where "phone number" was a phone number from an online list of good numbers.) I know this is not standard procedure but I couldn't get it to get a list of new numbers. I didnt just put a phone number there because there is not a phone line attached. I tried to connect manually 50 times. Gave up and the next time I looked, the Tivo was loading data. Just wondering if what I did is a workaround to the issue or if it had nothing to do with when it started to work for me.

If the issue was due to the number of POP lines being reduced then it wouldn't seem it would be someone needing to press a reset button.

About it always happening at the same time every year.. you can see posts about it at other times of year if you go looking. I saw some in august. Also I wonder if this culling of lines happens at year end.

I found an old post where it happened to me and I was saying I had tried every number in my number list. (I was stuck in Guided Setup.) I even tried some in another area code. None worked. (This was on dialup) Tivo wanted everyone's TSN.. wanted people to do tests. I would think if the issue was due to reduced lines they would have known the cause instantly and not had to figure it out with having people give their TSN and run tests.

This thread has some good info about the issue when it happened in the past. (I see you and I were both posting on that thread too.)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=410172
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #64
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendag4 View Post
When I manually dialed the dial in number and listened in, I was getting modem sounds of trying to make a connection... so the # was not totally dead. Well of course it wasn't.. I was getting a "Downloading" message.

In a way my comments were right... that the dial up number has changed and that is the reason for the issue. People are calling an invalid number so their guide data begins to run out. Even though people are using Turbocards (etc), it still wants a valid phone number.

It must be that the phone numbers change, but Tivo does not update users that they need a new number for many days. I couldn't even connect to get a new number when the problem first started. The user is given no indication that their number is bad. if I remember right, when I got a notification that I needed a new number.. the problem was already fixed by then or almost fixed. (I think it was fixed before I even got a new number list which wouldn't seem to be possible.)

Did you see my post where I said I put ,#401,phone number in the dialing prefix? (Where "phone number" was a phone number from an online list of good numbers.) I know this is not standard procedure but I couldn't get it to get a list of new numbers. I didnt just put a phone number there because there is not a phone line attached. I tried to connect manually 50 times. Gave up and the next time I looked, the Tivo was loading data. Just wondering if what I did is a workaround to the issue or if it had nothing to do with when it started to work for me.

If the issue was due to the number of POP lines being reduced then it wouldn't seem it would be someone needing to press a reset button.

About it always happening at the same time every year.. you can see posts about it at other times of year if you go looking. I saw some in august. Also I wonder if this culling of lines happens at year end.

I found an old post where it happened to me and I was saying I had tried every number in my number list. (I was stuck in Guided Setup.) I even tried some in another area code. None worked. (This was on dialup) Tivo wanted everyone's TSN.. wanted people to do tests. I would think if the issue was due to reduced lines they would have known the cause instantly and not had to figure it out with having people give their TSN and run tests.

This thread has some good info about the issue when it happened in the past. (I see you and I were both posting on that thread too.)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=410172
I think the thing you don't quite understand is that a POP is just a generic connection to the Internet. Once you get to "getting account status" or "setting clock" or "downloading" then you know the number is good. Trying multiple numbers is generally a waste of time unless your status is "busy" or "no answer". I thought I might be having modem problems which is why I started this thread. But when Turbonet card users are having problems, and they were, the issue is always at Tivo HQ. Not with the POP or your box.

If the POP number has been disconnected or switched to a voice number, the status would be "no answer" or "busy". It would never be "call interrupted". Tivo sends out the new list a month or two in advance, giving their customers plenty of time to switch numbers. If you HAVE to switch the number, I think that the Tivo even forces you to that screen before you can watch TV once it downloads the new list.

Finally, nothing says the every time this happens it has to be for the same reason. This time around the solution was very simple (or was a previously known problem), because once they acknowledged the problem the fix was implemented quickly. On a holiday week, no less.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #65
ggieseke

Quote:
I think the thing you don't quite understand is that a POP is just a generic connection to the Internet. Once you get to "getting account status" or "setting clock" or "downloading" then you know the number is good. Trying multiple numbers is generally a waste of time unless your status is "busy" or "no answer". I thought I might be having modem problems which is why I started this thread. But when Turbonet card users are having problems, and they were, the issue is always at Tivo HQ. Not with the POP or your box.

If the POP number has been disconnected or switched to a voice number, the status would be "no answer" or "busy". It would never be "call interrupted". Tivo sends out the new list a month or two in advance, giving their customers plenty of time to switch numbers. If you HAVE to switch the number, I think that the Tivo even forces you to that screen before you can watch TV once it downloads the new list.

Finally, nothing says the every time this happens it has to be for the same reason. This time around the solution was very simple (or was a previously known problem), because once they acknowledged the problem the fix was implemented quickly. On a holiday week, no less.
They seem to have the same problem on S1s every year around Nov or Dec. Nobody has ever fessed up to the basic problem so it's all guesswork, but it's repeatable.

Every year they break it, we bitch, and they fix it with no explanation.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #66
BDM351

I have been getting the same thing on a couple of SVR-2000's in the last week.

call interrupted
Yet there is nothing I can find that would cause this. I hook up a series 2 or 3 and they connect just fine.
If you find out please post your findings.
Thanks
BDM351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #67
bobwojo

Crap, i have 3 series 1's and all have been getting data since the "fix". Even ran Guided setup on all 3 to get rid of the Analog Cable connection that Comcast got rid of.

However not One unit is having problems. Getting "Failed to load Series " and "Failed.Call Interrupted" errors. test call works with no problem.

Al my units connect through the Internet so it is not a phone # problem....Going to restart the unit and hope it clears up.
bobwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #68
JudyLew

Well, calls have been connecting and downloading for the past few days. Unfortch, the old problem of "failed loading series" is back. The only thing I can do is take power away from the unit for about a minute, reconnect (reboot) then the next call is usually successful.

It's kinda tedious looking after the TiVo machine this way, but I'm limping along til I break down & get a Roamio or something. I just hate to lose all the nice recordings I have saved in the current machine.

Thanks 4 your thoughts, everybody, and happy new year!
JudyLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #69
brendag4

Quote:
If the POP number has been disconnected or switched to a voice number, the status would be "no answer" or "busy". It would never be "call interrupted". Tivo sends out the new list a month or two in advance, giving their customers plenty of time to switch numbers. If you HAVE to switch the number, I think that the Tivo even forces you to that screen before you can watch TV once it downloads the new list..
My number sounded like a modem answered when I called myself, but it was NOT on the list of good numbers as listed on the website.

I know the phone number should have nothing to do with it but it makes it seem like it does when things like using 000 as an area code and Sales and Marketing work for people. (Of course, it could have been a coincidence)
Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #70
brendag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLew View Post
Well, calls have been connecting and downloading for the past few days. Unfortch, the old problem of "failed loading series" is back. The only thing I can do is take power away from the unit for about a minute, reconnect (reboot) then the next call is usually successful.
)
You should search on "failed loading series".. there are many posts on it. One person said he fixed it by deleting programs he didn't need, some old season passes etc.

Also, I would NOT take power away from the unit unless it is really forcing you to do that. if you are getting partial data each time, when you unplug it you lose all the work up til then.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #71
unitron

Those old, off-the-list phone numbers probably still get answered by modems, but they're there to service other needs and aren't being leased by TiVo anymore.

If I had a TiVo dial one of the local Earthlink dial-up numbers I used to use before switching to cable internet, I'd expect to hear two modems talking to each other, but I wouldn't expect the TiVo to be able to connect to the TiVo, Inc. servers over that connection.

Although if there was some way to get the TiVo to pass on my Earthling password...I wonder.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #72
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

Quote:
You should search on "failed loading series".. there are many posts on it. One person said he fixed it by deleting programs he didn't need, some old season passes etc.

Also, I would NOT take power away from the unit unless it is really forcing you to do that. if you are getting partial data each time, when you unplug it you lose all the work up til then.
If you continue to actively use the thumbs rating you might want to try clearing that out as well. I remember reading (a LONG time ago) that a combination of too large a headend + too many thumb ratings (and maybe too many old season passes) could push these old boxes past the edge.

Lastly, try disconnecting the phone line and leaving the box running for several days without interruption before connecting the phone line again. It could allow the garbage collection to run in its entirety.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #73
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Those old, off-the-list phone numbers probably still get answered by modems, but they're there to service other needs and aren't being leased by TiVo anymore.

If I had a TiVo dial one of the local Earthlink dial-up numbers I used to use before switching to cable internet, I'd expect to hear two modems talking to each other, but I wouldn't expect the TiVo to be able to connect to the TiVo, Inc. servers over that connection.

Although if there was some way to get the TiVo to pass on my Earthling password...I wonder.
There's an authentication process that goes on before the POP gives you Internet access. A username and password are exchanged, probably embedded in the TIvo software. Tivo pays the ISP (POP provider), and the ISP allows the Tivos to connect using that name and password. If authentication is rejected two or three times, the POP usually hangs up the call. But you'd get a "call interrupted" during the "connecting" status, and BEFORE "setting clock", "getting account status", or "downloading".
Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #74
BobCamp1

Quote:
My number sounded like a modem answered when I called myself, but it was NOT on the list of good numbers as listed on the website.

I know the phone number should have nothing to do with it but it makes it seem like it does when things like using 000 as an area code and Sales and Marketing work for people. (Of course, it could have been a coincidence)
I guess we'll test it again next year!

Edit: Maybe I can test it now! My Tivo is acting up again.

Last edited by BobCamp1 : 12-31-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #75
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLew View Post

It's kinda tedious looking after the TiVo machine this way, but I'm limping along til I break down & get a Roamio or something. I just hate to lose all the nice recordings I have saved in the current machine.

Thanks 4 your thoughts, everybody, and happy new year!
My Tivo looks like it's acting up again as well. Outgoing calls are happening every 12 hours again, starting yesterday AM. It looks like they really didn't fix it.

Edit: Mine now says "failed while loading series". Looks like it's time to contact Weakness again.

Last edited by BobCamp1 : 12-31-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #76
unitron

Quote:
There's an authentication process that goes on before the POP gives you Internet access. A username and password are exchanged, probably embedded in the TIvo software. Tivo pays the ISP (POP provider), and the ISP allows the Tivos to connect using that name and password. If authentication is rejected two or three times, the POP usually hangs up the call. But you'd get a "call interrupted" during the "connecting" status, and BEFORE "setting clock", "getting account status", or "downloading".
Since I'm still eligible to connect with Earthlink via dialup for a certain number of hours per month as part of my Earthlink over TWC deal, I was thinking more along the lines of having the TiVo present itself to the Earthlink modem as me.

But just out of curiousity to see what would happen.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #77
unitron

Quote:
My Tivo looks like it's acting up again as well. Outgoing calls are happening every 12 hours again, starting yesterday AM. It looks like they really didn't fix it.

Edit: Mine now says "failed while loading series". Looks like it's time to contact Weakness again.
How does weaKnees figure into this?

They don't have enough clout with TiVo to get TiVo to fix anything on their end unless TiVo wants to fix it anyway, and if the problem is on TiVo's end, you can replace power supplies, hard drives, and motherboards until the cows come home and that won't change the problem.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #78
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How does weaKnees figure into this?

They don't have enough clout with TiVo to get TiVo to fix anything on their end unless TiVo wants to fix it anyway, and if the problem is on TiVo's end, you can replace power supplies, hard drives, and motherboards until the cows come home and that won't change the problem.
WeaKness has an inside contact at Tivo. It's a way to get past the level 1 CSR who just wants to sell you a new Tivo. This forum is another method -- if anyone from Tivo is still listening.

For example, here is his blog about this current problem:

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/

My call completed successfully last night. It could be the problems they had caused corruption in some of our Tivo's databases.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #79
brendag4

My Tivo seems to be ok, says it has guide data to Jan 12.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #80
fozzir

got a Phillips series 1 with turbonet card. bought the unit back in 99, been working fine every since. What gives? I still get failed. Service unavailable....... Is it time to turn my tivo into a Paper Weight?
fozzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:50 AM   #81
fozzir

Quick update. I didn't change a thing on my system regarding IP address but as it turns out my Gateway on my Tivo wasn't set right. Found the solution here . http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/ti...d.php?t=186047
fozzir is offline   Reply With Quote