TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #31
Series1Ron

Thumbs up Area Code = Call Interrupted

After successfully downloading data guide, I changed my area code back to '760'

Tried to download local numbers to call.

Same result as before: Connecting works, download "fail. call interrupted".

The '000' calls an 800 number that works; but trying to call a local area code = Call Interrupted.

I'm going back to '000' and 'Sales & Marketing' for now until they problem is fixed.

Thanks again Pianoman!
Series1Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #32
ashipkowski

Smile Mine just managed a download!

I'd given up and decided to wait it out after no data since Thursday. I didn't clear anything, didn't re-run Guided Setup let alone set my area code to 000, nothing. I did try a few times to force daily calls without success, but I never got up to the 20+ listed above.

Sitting in the living room, I heard a fair bit of drive churning (my SVR-2000 still has its original drive in it). Wondering, I went to check.

It downloaded successfully on a call automatically initiated at 3:58pm EST. It's going to take it hours and hours to load the data, apparently, but it downloaded.

So for those not getting anywhere: perhaps lay off the fiddling for a bit and see if the next regular call works for you, too.

(Edited to clarify that I didn't make it call the time it finally worked.)

Last edited by ashipkowski : 12-24-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Clarify that I didn't make it call the time it finally worked.
ashipkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #33
ashipkowski

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendag4 View Post
Before I did this, I renamed /var/log. (The log dir got renamed not the /var of course.) I don't know if there are logs in more than one location. Did not work. (updated to my previous post)
Speaking as someone who works with Linuxes professionally but hasn't fiddled with TiVo innards:

Depending on exactly how the logging daemons work, renaming the dir without a reboot might not force the logs to be done anew -- if the files are still open, they will still accept writes even though the location has been changed. (I'd also regenerate the log directory so as to avoid any issues if it can't find it.)
ashipkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #34
JudyLew

Me again, gang! LOL

I just spoke to a nice agent named Marcus at the TiVo service # 877 367-8486. I was pleased to know there are still folks available to talk to customers by phone!

Before I could launch into a long tale of woe, Marcus told me the engineers are aware of the "call interrupted" problem and they are "working on it as we speak". YAY!

I am holding out hope for good news soon.
JudyLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #35
brendag4

Finally gave up and left the Tivo alone.. when next went to check it, it was on a channel I didn't expect it to be on. (I made a manual recording, maybe it had a problem changing the channel.) Went to the Phone Connection screen and it was loading data! Not sure what my settings are... too afraid to look until it's done loading the data.

My email to support was answered. Appears to be a canned response, thinking I have problems connecting to my phone line when I clearly laid out what was going on.
brendag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #36
brendag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashipkowski View Post
Depending on exactly how the logging daemons work, renaming the dir without a reboot might not force the logs to be done anew -- if the files are still open, they will still accept writes even though the location has been changed. (I'd also regenerate the log directory so as to avoid any issues if it can't find it.)
I rebooted. It recreated the log directory. (Sorry I forgot to mention that before.)

The sources I was reading said you had to take the drive out and put it in a PC to mount it etc. (You also have to have the ability to telnet in set up which I already had done years ago.) Then you rename the directory from there. I don't have easy access to a desktop to do this and it is a lot of work. I telneted in, and accessed the log that way. I don't know if I was accessing the same log directory as the sources referred to... I barely know what I am doing

Last edited by brendag4 : 12-24-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #37
brendag4

Now its getting weirder. Loaded data successfully. Didn't do the indexing thing. I figured maybe that was because I deleted my season passes.

I had it set to ,#401,(phone number from valid list). I set it back to just ,#401. It now can complete calls normally even without the phone number added.

The weird part is.. it thinks it has no program guide data when it does. Says "No Program Guide Data remains. Please make a daily call." When I make a call, it only takes a few minutes because there is nothing to download. Does not say the message about how this will take hours to complete indexing like it normally says when you have no data and then get it.

Rebooting fixed that problem.

Now to restore the backup make by TivoWebPlus. It's not as straightforward as I expected it to be. Some channels have to be remapped etc. But hopefully I can get everything working again.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
JudyLew

Here I am again.

Good news, bad news!

Good: A call at 5:20 PM got thru, completed downloading around 6:30.

Bad: At 7:10 I found "Loading data 40% and 112 minutes remaining"
At 8:40 I found "Failed loading series" message.

I rebooted and will see how my dear old TiVo machine does on its next try.

Interesting that "Guide data to" now shows Monday Jan. 6, though I doubt that's really so.

Fingers crossed! Seems like some progress.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #39
JudyLew

Oh, Brenda, I just noticed your message of 7:14 (my time) Seems like you are making progress. YAY!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #40
unitron

Quote:
Now its getting weirder. Loaded data successfully. Didn't do the indexing thing. I figured maybe that was because I deleted my season passes.

I had it set to ,#401,(phone number from valid list). I set it back to just ,#401. It now can complete calls normally even without the phone number added.

The weird part is.. it thinks it has no program guide data when it does. Says "No Program Guide Data remains. Please make a daily call." When I make a call, it only takes a few minutes because there is nothing to download. Does not say the message about how this will take hours to complete indexing like it normally says when you have no data and then get it.

Rebooting fixed that problem.

Now to restore the backup make by TivoWebPlus. It's not as straightforward as I expected it to be. Some channels have to be remapped etc. But hopefully I can get everything working again.

,#401 as a dial prefix and nothing after that (no phone number, etc.) is what you're supposed to set it to to get it to use a TurboNet or Cachecard over Ethernet on your home network to use the internet instead of the phone line.

If it's doing the internet thing, it doesn't need a phone number.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #41
brendag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
,#401 as a dial prefix and nothing after that (no phone number, etc.) is what you're supposed to set it to to get it to use a TurboNet or Cachecard over Ethernet on your home network to use the internet instead of the phone line.
Yes I know... but one of the suggestions was to put your phone number in the dialing prefix. I don't have a phone line hooked up so I left the network part in. I didn't know if it would work or not. It might not have helped, but it didn't stop it from working when it eventually did work.

Still trying to restore data with TivoWebPlus. It keeps crashing. (TivoWeb crashes then the tivo reboots)
Old 12-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #42
pianoman
:-|

Quote:
If it's doing the internet thing, it doesn't need a phone number.
This SHOULD be true. However, there is obviously some interaction going on between dial-in numbers and Series 1 TiVos right now, regardless of whether they're set to dial in over a phone line or via Turbonet. I can vouch for that. I have a Series 1 with a dead modem (and it has been dead for years) with a Turbonet card installed. Only recently have the daily calls been failing.

When I switched my TiVo to area code (000) and selected that it was part of the Sales and Marketing program (which apparently uses an 800 number), all was well - even though it wasn't using that number to dial out at all.
pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #43
bobwojo

OMG, I Santa just delivered a Christmas present, One of my TIVO Series 1's is loading data. 25% done. The other Failed but took a long time to do so....Going to keep trying.

There is hope that after many dozens of attempts it will eventually work...

I did delete most of my recorded programs and most of the less important season passes. Also reset Thumb Ratings and Suggestions.....

Update, second Series 1 is Loading data, 4% done....Took about 6 call attempts but at least it is working..

Last edited by bobwojo : 12-25-2013 at 12:42 AM.
bobwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #44
Series1Ron

Big Grin Just downloaded again....because I can!

OMG this is fantastic.

After spending 1 week dead in the water; the rest of the family saying dump the Tivo for a new DVR, this is fantastic.

Before this I must have tried over 50 different settings and tried to download 100+ times.

With family on the internet while I'm downloading at the same time....no problem.

Area code '000' and 'Sales & Marketing'.
Series1Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #45
brendag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwojo View Post
I did delete most of my recorded programs and most of the less important season passes. Also reset Thumb Ratings and Suggestions.....
I dont think this makes any difference.. I deleted my guide data/to do list and I still had the problem. I did NOT delete my recorded programs or Thumbs/Suggestions. Just trying to save people from losing their data if they don't have to.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #46
JudyLew

Good morning and Merry Christmas!

Call this morning 2 AM-ish "failed loading series" but at least it seems the call went thru and download happened!

I have rebooted and I'm holding out hope that a call today may be fully successful.

Good luck everyone.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #47
brendag4

Finally got my data reloaded. Whew!

Had lots of problems trying to restore the backup from TivoWebPlus of my Program Data and To Do List. Found out the problem was memory related. If you get crashes when trying to remap the channels (maybe other stuff too?) put this line at the top instead of what is there. (This is actually mentioned in the file itself to increase to this size. I didn't think about that and went hunting all over to find what size to use. Then loaded the file to make the change and it was already in the comments as an option!)

export TIVOSH_POOLSIZE=3244032

Still have to figure out if I lost any data since it was not able to restore everything. It's probably going to be stuff like season passes for cancelled shows. (although some of them showed up fine)
Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #48
brendag4

And I also deleted some HD channels from the channel lineup in hopes that less memory would be needed. (the channel list shows HD channels even if you don't have an HD plan)
Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #49
glen_a_stewart

Seems guide calls are now working....

Quote:
Finally got my data reloaded. Whew!
My 12am call failed, but a manual call succeeded, and I didn't do anything to the configuration at all.

So it appears Tivo engineers have solved their problem.

Merry Christmas!
glen_a_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #50
brendag4

Interesting development... and my crazy theory as to a possible cause

If you read my above messages, you know I had ,#401,local phone number because the 000/Sales and Marketing idea did not work for me. You would think this wouldn't even work. But I got data after it called on its own when set like this. (It didn't when I tried to force the calls.)

After I got it working, I changed it back to ,#401 and it still can get data. I figured I was done with that part.

Decided to investigate it some more.. and it was set to a different area code from me. I had changed it when trying to see if I could somehow get a valid number since it wouldn't even connect to get the number list. I think the number I was testing wasn't even from that area code so you would think it wouldn't have worked. Just now I changed it back to the proper area code. It was able to retrieve a new list of numbers!

Originally I would get the failed call interrupted right at the Test Phone Connection screen. (This is even though I would get a message when forcing a daily call that it was Downloading so I was getting past this point there) I let it test the new number I chose just now.. and it did something I don't remember seeing it do this whole time... where it says Connecting it said "getting account status". (it said that when making a daily call but not when trying to retrieve a phone number)

Of course it would seem none of this should matter to a device getting data over the network! But just maybe it does.

So here is my oddball theory... could it be this happens when you are using an outdated number, and Tivo can't even call out to get a new list, so it thinks you don't qualify to get any data???? Note I said it was not saying "Getting account status" until just now. That is what made me think that.

You all might want to check and see if your phone number is valid even if you are using a Turbocard. I got the list of numbers even though the Tivo is not connected to a phone line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_a_stewart View Post
My 12am call failed, but a manual call succeeded, and I didn't do anything to the configuration at all.!
Someone else reported that they didn't make changes and everything eventually worked. It might be none of the stuff we did worked, its just that it suddenly started to work because the Engineers fixed it.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #51
unitron

I still want to know why this happens every year about this time.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #52
brendag4

Quote:
I still want to know why this happens every year about this time.
If you do a search, you will see it also has happened at other times. My private messages to TiVoJerry when it previously happened to me were from the end of January.

IF it is related to phone numbers going invalid, maybe around the end of the year is when the list is updated.

Or maybe many people get new TiVos at this time of year and the system is getting heavy traffic causing people to get bumped off.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #53
JudyLew

Hello fellow sufferers! Hope you had a nice Christmas. ♥

I thot the darling TiVo had died last nite, as I came home from family time, found screen tiled & frozen, remote commands ignored. Reboot brought "a few more seconds" message, no song w little TiVo man, then black screen.

This morning, after a couple reboots and odd things, machine seems 2 B feeling better. A call initiated by the machine at 7:54 AM had line in use a little over an hour. I'm afraid to mess with the little sweetie, although I changed from channel 7 to channel 5 around 9:30 without disaster.

If broadcast keeps coming thru, I'll try checking in a couple hours to see if "loading data" was successful. Jeekers, this is quite a gut-wrenching process!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #54
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLew View Post
Hello fellow sufferers! Hope you had a nice Christmas. ♥

I thot the darling TiVo had died last nite, as I came home from family time, found screen tiled & frozen, remote commands ignored. Reboot brought "a few more seconds" message, no song w little TiVo man, then black screen.

This morning, after a couple reboots and odd things, machine seems 2 B feeling better. A call initiated by the machine at 7:54 AM had line in use a little over an hour. I'm afraid to mess with the little sweetie, although I changed from channel 7 to channel 5 around 9:30 without disaster.

If broadcast keeps coming thru, I'll try checking in a couple hours to see if "loading data" was successful. Jeekers, this is quite a gut-wrenching process!
Tivo fixed the problem on their end for good at around 3:00 PM EST on Christmas Eve. It was intermittent that day and the day before, so some calls worked but most didn't. But everything should be back to normal for everyone else. No settings needed to be changed.

In your case, though, it sounds like you're messing with it too much. "Failed while loading series" means guide data is corrupted, probably caused by you rebooting it in the middle of indexing. It takes several hours for a Series 1 to update anything regarding its status, so don't panic.

The good news is that corrupt guide data eventually works itself out over a few days, so I'd just leave it alone and see what happens. You should see it getting to a higher percentage each time it loads the guide data before failing. Eventually, it'll get to 100% and be successful. If not, the hard drive might be dying and the glitch just exposed it.

And yes, everyone should see a pop up telling you the dial in numbers have changed, even Turbonet card users. I didn't have to change mine personally, but you might have to if the message tells you to.

Last edited by BobCamp1 : 12-26-2013 at 03:39 PM.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #55
BobCamp1

Quote:
So here is my oddball theory... could it be this happens when you are using an outdated number, and Tivo can't even call out to get a new list, so it thinks you don't qualify to get any data???? Note I said it was not saying "Getting account status" until just now. That is what made me think that.

You all might want to check and see if your phone number is valid even if you are using a Turbocard. I got the list of numbers even though the Tivo is not connected to a phone line.

Someone else reported that they didn't make changes and everything eventually worked. It might be none of the stuff we did worked, its just that it suddenly started to work because the Engineers fixed it.
All the number does is give you Internet access. That's it. It either works and you are "Connecting" or it doesn't work and you get "no answer".

The list of numbers it downloads is based on the area code you entered, so each time you change the area code your Tivo will download a new list.

The call status screen is slow to update, so very often you won't see "Getting account status" even though it did do that.

Turbonet cards aren't really supported. The Tivo isn't smart enough to know you're using one, so it goes through all the motions of a dial-up user even if you're not actually using the numbers.

The problem was simply that Tivo HQ stopped putting up the guide data up for Series 1 units. That's it. I'm guessing that is generated by a computer somewhere running an automated script, and the script and/or computer went south. So the Series 1 units contacted Tivo HQ, asked for a file that didn't exist, and the Tivo HQ immediately terminated the connection, which in turn terminated the call.

The problem is getting the right people at Tivo to acknowledge the problem, then finding someone to go push the reset button on the server.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #56
brendag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
The list of numbers it downloads is based on the area code you entered, so each time you change the area code your Tivo will download a new list.

The call status screen is slow to update, so very often you won't see "Getting account status" even though it did do that.

Turbonet cards aren't really supported. The Tivo isn't smart enough to know you're using one, so it goes through all the motions of a dial-up user even if you're not actually using the numbers.
In my case the Tivo did NOT download a new list each time I changed the area code. It would stop with an error message saying "failed call interrupted" Most of the time it was doing this... the status would show as () then it would show the error.

Maybe others had a valid number and I didn't. Eventually when the phone list downloaded for my area code, my previous number was not on the list. (Maybe it was but my memory of it was wrong.. but I don't think so.) Also the Tivo gave me a message that the dial in number was not valid (one of those internal things that pop up with the green screen, and also an email symbol one)

About the Turbonet cards not being supported.. that is why I thought my theory might be true.. that it wants a valid dial in number even though you aren't using a phone line. My Tivo could not get what it thought was a valid number because it would not complete the call to get one. Test calls worked, program data would get to downloading for about 10 seconds then abort with failed call interrupted, phone list failed with same error.

When I read a previous post on this topic.. TiVoJerry was forwarding TSN to the engineers. And there was multiple posts saying stuff like please keep sending them. So that makes it sound like it wasn't as simple as pressing a reset button. (Or maybe the engineers didn't know that was all that was needed back then)
Old 12-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #57
brendag4

Quote:
And yes, everyone should see a pop up telling you the dial in numbers have changed, even Turbonet card users. I didn't have to change mine personally, but you might have to if the message tells you to.
Thanks for your informative messages!

Why should we all get a message that the dial number changed? I didn't understand that part. If it was simply that guide data was not being sent to series 1 machines, why would that require a phone number change?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #58
unitron

Quote:

The problem was simply that Tivo HQ stopped putting up the guide data up for Series 1 units. That's it. I'm guessing that is generated by a computer somewhere running an automated script, and the script and/or computer went south. So the Series 1 units contacted Tivo HQ, asked for a file that didn't exist, and the Tivo HQ immediately terminated the connection, which in turn terminated the call.

The problem is getting the right people at Tivo to acknowledge the problem, then finding someone to go push the reset button on the server.
If the problem happened to every S1 owner everywhere at exactly the same time, that might explain it, but it doesn't explain the staggered yearly recurrence or the occasional spillover to S2s.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #59
BobCamp1

Quote:
Thanks for your informative messages!

Why should we all get a message that the dial number changed? I didn't understand that part. If it was simply that guide data was not being sent to series 1 machines, why would that require a phone number change?
The two are not directly related, but maybe that message was indirectly screwing things up.

I'm guessing that the POP provider that Tivo uses reduced the number of available phone numbers due to lower traffic. Or maybe two POP providers merged into one company. Tivo just asked if I had received that message yet, and I said no, and they said all Tivos should be getting it. I didn't see it until I used the Tivo on Christmas morning AFTER the problem was fixed. I guess they weren't sure based on my log files. I contacted Weakness, who forwarded my info to Tivo engineering, and they contacted me.

I'm also guessing that transition for those numbers is gradual, so the "old" numbers would still work today if you could still select them.

Last edited by BobCamp1 : 12-26-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #60
BobCamp1

Quote:
If the problem happened to every S1 owner everywhere at exactly the same time, that might explain it, but it doesn't explain the staggered yearly recurrence or the occasional spillover to S2s.
I never got the "Only X days of guide data left" message. If I had not been looking in my FIOS outgoing call logs, I would never have noticed my Tivo was having problems. Normally it calls once every 28 hours, but last week it was calling twice or three times a day. That tipped me off to look at System Information where I saw the now famous "call interrupted" message.