TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
verdugan

How to replicate my Directv set up with Tivo+Xfinity?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting back to Tivo after being away waaay too long.

This is the set up I have with Directv and I would like to know what I need to get to replicate it.

Directv current set up:
1 Directv GENI HD DVR
1 Directv regular HD DVR
1 Slingbox connected to the Directv regular DVR
I also have multi room viewing
I watch recorded programs from my laptop while traveling by connecting to the Slingbox.

I want to have two Tivo receivers and I need to be able to watch my recorded programs/live TV from anywhere in the world. Downloading programs to my laptop before travelling is not an option. I'm away from extended periods of time and I'll be watching programs that haven't aired by the time I leave (that's why I have the Slingbox.)

I'll get Xfinity and I would like to get Cable Cards so that I don't have 2 boxes (Tivo and Xfinity.)

Thank you in advance.

A.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Davelnlr_

1- Roamio Pro 6 tuner
1- Roamio Standard 4 tuner or Premier 2 tuner or a Mini if you dont actually need the 7th tuner. Mini would save you a lot of money.
1-Keep using the slingbox? It should work with the Tivo's. Im not sure if the Stream lets you stream outside the country...Dont know much about that one.

Multiroom viewing is standard fare. Works with Moca or ethernet.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

what Dave said, with a few more details thrown in:

(You didnt specify a budget so...)

1. Roamio plus/pro. (Only difference is storage space between the models*)
2. Mini for 2nd location
3. Slingbox connected to the Roamio's component outputs

-6 tuners - one cablecard (only one saves you a few $$/month... 1st card is free with many Comcast packages.. but this is Comcast, so your mileage WILL vary)
-Multi-room viewing to mini. One shared list of recordings/easily manage recordings/season passes/etc from either room.
-Use either Moca (built-in, puts ethernet onto coax) or ethernet + coax to connect the Roamio n Mini
-You can use the tivo Ipad app to slickly manage your tivo(s) from on the road. Android app has most of the same features but is less slick.
-Roamio can Stream/download from Roamio to Ipad/Iphone (currently has to be wifi on the other end). Android and maybe? other platforms at some point with built-in streaming/downloading feature**
-Continue to Sling from the Roamio, just like you were before.
-Depending on where you are, some Comcast areas allow on-demand streaming on Tivo (basically via an app)

If you need more storage or tuners, swap in a full-blown unit of your choice for the mini. You'd only lose the unified playlist and have to pay for another cablecard.

*Drop-in drive upgrades up to 3gb can make the Plus more cost efficient than the Pro depending on the deal you get, if you can turn a screwdriver.

**Streaming is relatively new, compared to Slingbox which is naturally more mature
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
verdugan

Thanks for the replies.

One of the things that I was trying to do was to get rid of the Slingbox. It works well, but it's a separate box, but looks like I'd have to keep it.

Comcast does offer ondemand via Tivo in my area, which is nice.

I guess it'll come down to how badly Comcast wants me to come over and/or how badly Directv wants to keep me.

Thank you.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote