Old 02-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
SeanC
ECT

SNL 2/6/16 Larry David; The 1975

A Message from Ted Cruz
Larry David monologue
FBI Acadamy Firearm Training
bern your enthusiasm
The Sinking of the Titanic (Bernie Sanders cameo)
The X Files commercial
The 1975 performs
Weekend Update
..Top Stories
..Sturdy Barbie
..More Top Stories
..Jon Rudnitsky
..More Top Stories
..Derek Zoolander and Hansel (Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson cameo)
Intro to Songwriting
A Superbowl Greeting from Cam Newton and Peyton Manning
The 1975 performs
Last Call at Donnelly's

Well I really enjoyed that, I thought Larry did a great job as host, I would have been disappointed with anything less.

The cold open was OK, a little flat for me.

Larry's monologue was great, good energy, good delivery.

I generally liked the FBI skit, but even after googling Kevin Roberts I don't get them hitting that name so hard. Have I completely missed this Kevin Roberts in the news? Is this a NY thing? Or was it just the name they wanted to have on the sign in the punchline?

Best Skit Of The Night: bern your enthusiam, holy **** that was just epic.

Bernie's cameo in the Titanic skit was well done, couple of good laughs.

The X Files commercial pretty much blew my mind. At first I thought they reshot an older superbowl commercial they did that was an activity kit for the woman to do in the kitchen but even when I was thinking that it didn't make much sense cuz they could just replay it, then the mom starts freaking out, and BAM, X Files... awesome.

This was the best Weekend Update of the Colin/Michael era for me, though mostly because of the guests.

Barbie was pretty good, but holy crap Jon's mime routine was hysterical, and having Zoolander and Hansel show up was a nice finish.

ETA I was just rewatching the FBI skit and the crowd explodes on the name Kevin Roberts, so I think there is some context there I don't understand.

The first hit on Wikipedia goes to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_...s_(businessman). Nothing there jumps out at me at why this guy would be a known figure.

Last edited by SeanC; 02-07-2016 at 07:58 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

Someone really needs to help Bernie work on his "Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good" if they're going to make him do it every time Larry doing Bernie comes up.

pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
morac
Cat God

This was one of the better SNLs in a long time.

Bern your enthusiasm was awesome and I really enjoyed the Dirty Dancing thing during weekend update.

I don't think Kevin Roberts is a real person. I think the crowd just cheered because it was Larry David.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
This was one of the better SNLs in a long time. Bern your enthusiasm was awesome and I really enjoyed the Dirty Dancing thing during weekend update. I don't think Kevin Roberts is a real person. I think the crowd just cheered because it was Larry David.
I agree, but I am a huge LD fan.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Same here, really enjoyed the episode. I didn't get the zoolander stuff, but I've never watched (or cared to) watch the movie, so that fell flat for me. Michael Che needs to stop cracking up during every WU (at least the ones that I've seen). Bern Your Enthusiasm was awesome as was the Titanic skit.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Bern Your Enthusiasm was great. Some very good impressions of the characters - especially Super Dave and JB Smoove. My wife, who hates the real show, asked about halfway through the short: "Why is everyone screaming?!"

That should be the tagline of CYE

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
DUDE_NJX

"pube check!"

DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

This was a great one. Loved all the sketches mentioned above. My favorite part of the Titanic sketch was the guys tossing the water: they really got into it and totally nailed LD at least twice: that was a riot.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Excellent episode. Great sketches all the way through, even down to another revisiting of Last Call.

For those of you who really like the show, I recommend the Post Show Recaps podcast where they go over each new episode and talk about the sketches and performances. It's fun to learn a little extra backstory about stuff and hear other people's perspective on the humor and the business.

http://postshowrecaps.com/tv-show/la...bruary-6-4112/

Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
nickels
opinionated dope

The guy on the news that did the Dirty Dancing skit was one of the single funniest solo performances that I can think of to date. At first I was like, well this is weird. Then it keeps going, and going, and going. Hilarious! Hope "that guy" shows up in more sketches.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
DUDE_NJX

Yeah, he was REALLY good.

DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

I hadn't watched SNL in a long time. Even though my TiVos record it every week. I watched the entire show and really enjoyed it. Especially Bern Your Enthusiasm. But then that was the reason I watched it. CNN had mentioned Larry David and that skit. But since I like Larry David I had to watch the entire show.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I don't watch it all that often anymore. I'm really struck by how talented Kate McKinnon is.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
warrenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
The guy on the news that did the Dirty Dancing skit was one of the single funniest solo performances that I can think of to date. At first I was like, well this is weird. Then it keeps going, and going, and going. Hilarious! Hope "that guy" shows up in more sketches.
I agree. He did a great job of conveying the story through mime.

Larry was a writer on SNL a long time and there are a few funny stories around that. I wish they had somehow incorporated them in the show. One I remember is something that became a Seinfeld episode. Larry was upset he wasn't getting any skits into the show so he goes to Lorne on Friday and quits. Over the weekend he realizes he made a mistake and shows back up to SNL on Monday. Everyone looks at him and says they thought he quit, and he says that was just him blowing off steam. It would have been funny if they had a skit where he quits midway and then shows up later in the show like nothing happened.

warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Yeah, he was REALLY good.
When you see the featured players on Update doing things like that (like Leslie Jones and Pete Davidson doing a bit), it usually means that was something the cast member did in their stand-up act prior to being hired on the show, and so they're just using something that was previously written and prepared.