TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
caslu

Shows that almost lost you, but now you're addicted...

In watching the latest amazing episode of Person of Interest I was reminded that I sampled a few episodes not once but on two separate occasions, and gave up on it both times as being just another boring procedural. Then Shaw turned up and I liked her character enough to start watching it again from the beginning. Now I think it's one of the best shows on television, and not just because of Sarah Shahi .

Fringe is another show that I had to give a second and third look before coming to my senses (Firefly, on the other hand, is a show that I've sampled three times now and just can't get the love for it).

Are there other shows people gave up on but came back to for some reason and then got hooked?

caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

Most recently, Gotham. Watched the pilot and ep1, was totally on the fence.

Kept the SP, binged watched the series over a weekend just before the Jan re-start. I really enjoy the genre, characters and story.

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
SeanC
ECT

Homeland was like that for me. Huge fan of season 1, the start of season 2 turned me off, after talking to a friend I gave it a second chance and then watched the rest of 2, then 3 and 4.

SeanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Doctor Who and Firefly.

For Doctor Who, I watched the first episode of the rebooted series and it looked like it was going to be a crappy monster of the week show. I tried it again after reading here about how amazing it was and was hooked.

For Firefly, I saw the first episode broadcast (the one with the train robbery) and thought it was fun, but those days were pre-Tivo, and I rarely had time in my schedule to watch live tv, so I didn't bother with it. I gave it a second chance due to the enthusiasm here, and loved it (And watched the episodes in the order they were meant to be seen.)

ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Doctor Who. And I gave up on it again for a while in the Matt Smith era. Then I caught up and now regret my stupidity.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Raising Hope.

I was a huge My Name is Earl fan, but the first episode of Raising Hope didn't bring me in. Luckily I tried a few more episodes at a later date, and found myself really liking it.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Also, Parks and Rec. The characters were re-tooled a bit at some point and it made the show infinitely better.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I gave up on Arrested Development after a couple episodes. This was when it was first airing. A couple years later, a coworker was watching it on DVD and talked about it constantly. I went back and watched it and loved it. I've probably watched the entire series 4 times.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Also, Parks and Rec.
This is one show I keep hoping I can turn the corner on. My 25yr old son absolutely loves this and keep prodding me to watch.

I just cannot get into it due to the shaky-cam crap.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
gweempose

For me it would be Babylon 5. I had heard such great things about the show, so I watched the first few episodes with very high expectations. I didn't care for it much at all, but my brother insisted that I keep watching. I'm glad I did, because I now think it's one of the best shows ever made.

(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
This is one show I keep hoping I can turn the corner on. My 25yr old son absolutely loves this and keep prodding me to watch.

I just cannot get into it due to the shaky-cam crap.
I know what you mean. I can grow tired of the quasi-documentary feel of these sorts of shows.

Plus, the concept can be limiting... exactly how often can you have a camera crew following you around? I remember wondering how the producers of Life, the cop series starring Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi, were going to deal with the confines of the documentary crew following the wrongly convicted cop.

I was getting a bit annoyed at the documentary camera crew always being there, until the series' producers solved their problem by arranging to have a crime lord kill the video crew.

It was a clear wink at the audience, acknowledging that the producers idea about a documentary wasn't working.

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
zalusky

I really think that binge watching changes the whole experience. Some shows have a lot of character and plot development that gets lost when you have to wait weeks at a time.
A lot of people complain about Walking Dead focusing on just a couple of characters for an episode and that complaint completely disappears when you binge IMHO.

On the other hand I need a lot of community energy to get me to try again on certain shows. The librarians was so bad I could not finish the first episode.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
I know what you mean. I can grow tired of the quasi-documentary feel of these sorts of shows.

Plus, the concept can be limiting... exactly how often can you have a camera crew following you around? I remember wondering how the producers of Life, the cop series starring Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi, were going to deal with the confines of the documentary crew following the wrongly convicted cop.

I was getting a bit annoyed at the documentary camera crew always being there, until the series' producers solved their problem by arranging to have a crime lord kill the video crew.

It was a clear wink at the audience, acknowledging that the producers idea about a documentary wasn't working.
I feel like Parks and Recreation plays loosely with this. The documentary aspect is way less at the forefront than it was in The Office, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I really think that binge watching changes the whole experience. Some shows have a lot of character and plot development that gets lost when you have to wait weeks at a time.
A lot of people complain about Walking Dead focusing on just a couple of characters for an episode and that complaint completely disappears when you binge IMHO.

On the other hand I need a lot of community energy to get me to try again on certain shows. The librarians was so bad I could not finish the first episode.
Binge watching Battlestar Galactica made it a much better experience for me. It softened the blow of waiting for a week or more and then having an episode about unions and miners, etc.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Three shows come to mind:

1 Seinfeld - I watched a few episodes early on, then kind of stopped. A friend of mine kept talking about it so I gave it another shot (around the time of the Keith Hernandez episode) and was hooked

2 Mad Men - Watched the first episode, thought it was boring and didn't come back. Kept toying with rewatching after everyone said it was so great, rewatched and was hooked.

True Detective - Well, I didn't quite quit on it, but after about 3 or 4 episodes I was ready to give up, gave it one more and was hooked.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
scooterboy
Very Clean

The Big Bang Theory. I was very late to the party. I had tried an episode or two when it started, and it didn't grab me.

I think around the third season I caught an episode or two and decided to binge-watch from the beginning. Haven't missed an episode since.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
leswar
leswar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
For me it would be Babylon 5. I had heard such great things about the show, so I watched the first few episodes with very high expectations. I didn't care for it much at all, but my brother insisted that I keep watching. I'm glad I did, because I now think it's one of the best shows ever made.
I had the same experience. What I managed to sit thru of the first season,
I thought dull and boring. Abandoned it until a friend insisted I revisit it, especially the 2nd season when they brought Bruce Boxleitner.

Amazing to think J. Michael Straczynski had written out a five year run for the
show for Gene Roddneberry, who refused it but then went on to produce Deep Space Nine-- which pretty much mimicked B5.

leswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
Doggie Bear

"24" . . . I watched the pilot episode and was largely unimpressed. I think I tuned back in for the finale, but little did I know it would become my favorite TV show of all time.

Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #18
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leswar View Post
. Michael Straczynski had written out a five year run for the show for Gene Roddneberry, who refused it but then went on to produce Deep Space Nine-- which pretty much mimicked B5.
I don't think Roddenberry had anything to do with DS9... it started over two years after he died. It's said he approved a vague concept before he died, but he certainly didn't produce it. B5 was pitched to Paramount execs in 1989, so they saw the pre-production B5 bible. Straczynski has stated that he doesn't think that the actual DS9 creators were aware of the B5 material, though.

JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Raising Hope
I watched a couple random episodes the first season and was thoroughly unimpressed. Then near the end of season 2 I was watching an episode live(ish) and halfway through had to leave so I actually recorded the ending. When I went to watch it, I also had a couple of episodes in suggestions so I watched all of them in one sitting and I was hooked.

Scrubs
I hate doctor shows, so I went in wanting to hate it. I have no idea anymore how that changed, but I have seen every episode at least three times.

3rd Rock From the Sun
Awful awful awful show. My oldest sister loved it and my other older sister and I made fun of her for it. Then for some reason after a couple of seasons, it was the greatest sitcom on tv.

Charmed
Shannon D? seriously? No thanks. Then TNT started airing two eps every morning when I was getting home from work. I started watching when I saw an ep with some time travel in it and I was hooked. I was watching old eps on TNT and watching new weekly primetime eps at the same time.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #20
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
"24" . . .
Yes! Good one.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #21
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
Doctor Who and Firefly.

For Doctor Who, I watched the first episode of the rebooted series and it looked like it was going to be a crappy monster of the week show. I tried it again after reading here about how amazing it was and was hooked.
I've tried Doctor Who a couple of times, and never make it to the end of an episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
The Big Bang Theory. I was very late to the party. I had tried an episode or two when it started, and it didn't grab me.

I think around the third season I caught an episode or two and decided to binge-watch from the beginning. Haven't missed an episode since.
I remember watching the pilot, and that's it. My son, probably 20 or so at the time, told me later that season it was worth watching. Went back, watched a couple more. And the rest is history.

While it's now on the retired list, Breaking Bad was one for me. Watched the pilot twice, about a year apart, never saw the love. But for some reason, went back around season three and tried it again. Binged till I was caught up.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #22
Cainebj

Breaking Bad.

I watched the first episode and thought to myself no way in hell am I watching a show about a meth dealer.

Cut 2 all the buzz about it and right before the second season I watched a marathon of Season 1 and that was that. Hooked.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #23
mrizzo80

New Girl.

The first 2 or 3 episodes were pretty bad. Then there was a wedding-themed episode very early on that was great. I was getting ready to delete the SP but that episode saved it; been watching ever since.

mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #24
JMikeD

Two come to mind. The first is Longmire. The second is The Blacklist. Neither impressed me with the first episodes I watched, and I ignored them for a few episodes. I gave them another try a 5 or 6 eps later, and then had to go back and play catch up. Glad I did.

JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #25
JYoung
Series 3

Community.

I had a problem with Chevy Chase being in the cast and almost took a pass because of that.

I decided to take a chance on the pilot and saw some potential in there.
The second episode almost caused me to drop the show but the series improved tremendously after that.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #26
secondclaw

Babylon 5 for me as well. I watched first few episodes and just didn't like it. Then years later watched a random episode of Season 3, which was so good I went back to the beginning.

secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #27
MarkofT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leswar View Post
Amazing to think J. Michael Straczynski had written out a five year run for the
show for Gene Roddneberry, who refused it but then went on to produce Deep Space Nine-- which pretty much mimicked B5.
DS9 and B5 only had one thing in common, a space station. B5 had a very specific story to tell while DS9 just had running plots without a singular goal.

MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #28
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
24 was this show for me. I remember turning off the pilot because it was so fast-paced and I wasn't keeping up, I guess. I binge-watched the first season and was totally hooked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #29
secondclaw

They also shared a guest star (Robert Foxworth, playing General Hague).
I vaguely remember reading that JMS was fairly pissed off at Foxworth appearing on DS9, and changed Hague's arc on B5 because of it.

On topic: Breaking Bad was also a show that just didn't grab me in the beginning. But my friends kept insisting that i watch, so I recorded entire series and binge-watched again, and couldn't tear myself away from the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
DS9 and B5 only had one thing in common, a space station. B5 had a very specific story to tell while DS9 just had running plots without a singular goal.

secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #30
Pacomartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I've tried Doctor Who a couple of times, and never make it to the end of an episode.
It is like a huge cultural divide you have to cross. Once you are there, it is very moving, but you have to get there.

But when you first see it, you feel like you are watching a bad Saturday Afternoon kid's show with a big budget. The episode "Turn Left" which is like "It's a Wonderful Life in Dachau" is one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen.