TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Downton Abbey (Final Season) S6E5 - OAD 1/31/2016

Starting up a thread for this week's episode... Planning on watching it tonight, so I'll have more to say at that time

Last edited by MikeekiM; 02-08-2016 at 08:47 PM.
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
soccergrunt

What an epic dinner scene. You knew Lord Grantham was sick and going to show it then, but not like that!!

And Mary's face when she heard Marigold's name was great. Didn't see that coming right at that moment.

soccergrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccergrunt View Post
What an epic dinner scene. You knew Lord Grantham was sick and going to show it then, but not like that!!
Right! Completely, 100% telegraphed that Robert's "indigestion" was going to intersect the hospital subplot, but that was completely unexpected. I actually found myself unnerved by it.

My thought had been that this would be the spur to convince Granny that Cora is right about the plan. And maybe it will be. But if Robert recovers under local care, why would she change her mind?

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccergrunt View Post
And Mary's face when she heard Marigold's name was great. Didn't see that coming right at that moment.
I feel like I missed something there. When was this?

At the end, Edith said something about going to check on the children, and then that's when Mary started asking Anna about it, but I feel like I missed something that prompted it.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
eddyj

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought an alien was gonna burst out of his chest or something!

Granny mentioned Marigold when Cora said something about too many secrets, and Mary overheard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- South FL in February? Doesn't get better than this!
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
soccergrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I feel like I missed something there. When was this?

At the end, Edith said something about going to check on the children, and then that's when Mary started asking Anna about it, but I feel like I missed something that prompted it.
When Cora and Violet were leaving for the hospital, Cora said let's not have any more secrets. Violet responded something like "you mean Marigold, that is all fixed and I apologized" They then showed Mary in the background who overheard.

soccergrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
laria
Librocubicularist

Ahhh... I missed that Mary overheard that.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
stellie93

Did Anna know about it? I don't remember. They always say the servants know everything. How embarrassing for Mary to have to try to find out what's going on with her family from Anna.

The Doctor said, "It's his ulcer" like he already knew he had one. If so, why the mystery when he had stomach pain?

Are they going to fix up the cook (whose name escapes me at the moment) with Daisy's friend? (yeah, I can't remember his name either--I'm old)

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Are they going to fix up the cook (whose name escapes me at the moment) with Daisy's friend? (yeah, I can't remember his name either--I'm old)
Mr. Mason.

I hadn't thought of that, but maybe. I was thinking they were going to fix up Daisy with Thomas' crush that is interested in learning about the pigs.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
eddyj

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The Doctor said, "It's his ulcer" like he already knew he had one. If so, why the mystery when he had stomach pain?
I'm not sure there was any mystery. Nobody seem surprised when he was in pain, so he probably knew he had an ulcer, just not that bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- South FL in February? Doesn't get better than this!
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Did Anna know about it? I don't remember. They always say the servants know everything. How embarrassing for Mary to have to try to find out what's going on with her family from Anna.
Pretty sure the only person who doesn't know was Mary. That's why Anna was deflecting the questions when Mary was asking her about Marigold.

Quote:
Yeah, they're being pretty heavy handed about that... and also apparently pairing everyone else off before the finale
  • Mr. Mason and Ms. Patmore
  • Molesley and Ms. Baxter,
  • Barrow and the new guy (even though he doesn't *think* he's gay),
  • Edith and that new guy
  • Mary and the race car guy
  • ....And I think they'll find someone for Tom Branson soon enough

It's like that Jeff Goldblum quote from The Big Chill: "I'm almost certain there's sex going on around here."

Last edited by Hank; 02-02-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
hummingbird_206

Quote:

Last year during the Xmas episode Robert had to abstain from rich foods and alcohol because he had been diagnosed with an ulcer. So yes, he knew he had one. I was surprised he hadn't gone back to the Dr to have it checked when he started having stomach pains. Maybe he didn't want to be told to cut back on the booze again.

I thought it seemed like they were going to make a couple of Mrs Patmore and Mr Mason (Daisy's FIL). IMDB FTW on the character names.

hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
  • Mr. Mason and Ms. Patmore
  • Molesley and Ms. Baxter,
  • Barrow and the new guy (even though he doesn't *think* he's gay),
  • Edith and that new guy
  • Mary and the race car guy
  • ....And I think they'll find someone for Tom Branson soon enough

I know it won't happen, but I'd like Mary/Branson to be the couple.

Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

Spratt and Denker?

pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #15
Larry M

Does anyone know how many episodes in this season? I haven't seen this anywhere.

Larry

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #16
Eight47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Does anyone know how many episodes in this season? I haven't seen this anywhere.

Larry
There are 9, including the Christmas episode. Four episodes left.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606375/...ref_=tt_ov_epl

Eight47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #17
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
I know it won't happen, but I'd like Mary/Branson to be the couple.
No thank you, we need Matthew Goode to be hanging around the next 4 episodes.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #18
MikeekiM
Palindromer

FINALLY watched last night...

What's up with Daisy? Is she tired of people fawning over Mason? Is she jealous of the extra attention he's getting? If she wants his undivided attention, why would she push back so hard when Mason asked her to live in the cottage with him?

Wow... For a show that is generally tame, I was surprised to see so much blood at the dinner table! That was shocking... I thought he might faint...but erupt in blood?

Looks like Carson and Mrs. Hughes marriage is not the bed of roses that we expected... Rocky start...lots of little bits of friction here and there...

I wonder what Mary's reaction will be to the Marygold secret... She's likely more upset at being kept out of the loop than anything else I presume...

Spatt is in too deep... Denker will pull that nephew card out everytime she needs to see him wiggle... He needs to figure out how to neutralize this...maybe get some equally damning dirt on her would do the trick...

Old 02-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
bacevedo

We just watched it this weekend, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
What's up with Daisy? Is she tired of people fawning over Mason? Is she jealous of the extra attention he's getting? If she wants his undivided attention, why would she push back so hard when Mason asked her to live in the cottage with him?
I agree. I can't figure out what she's being so weird about. She goes through all of this effort to "save" him and then snaps at people who show genuine concern and care for him.

Quote:
Wow... For a show that is generally tame, I was surprised to see so much blood at the dinner table! That was shocking... I thought he might faint...but erupt in blood?
Yeah, didn't see the blood coming at all. Way more graphic than I expected this show to be. Seeing him cough blood on everyone was pretty funny, though, for a show that has been so "proper".

Quote:
Looks like Carson and Mrs. Hughes marriage is not the bed of roses that we expected... Rocky start...lots of little bits of friction here and there...
I was telling my wife imagine if you had lived a certain way for 60+ years and then suddenly changed that. Carson is still so traditional and Mrs. Hughes is ready to move forward but doesn't have the experience of being a housewife.

Quote:
I wonder what Mary's reaction will be to the Marygold secret... She's likely more upset at being kept out of the loop than anything else I presume...
Yep, I agree. She doesn't like the fact that she was kept out of the loop on something, especially when it has to do with Edith, whom she seems to hate for no apparent reason.

bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #20
Hank
AC•FTW

oops

Old 02-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #21
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

This isn't the latest episode thread. This is for 2/1/16.

pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #22
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
This isn't the latest episode thread. This is for 2/1/16.
Oops... I saw "Final Season" in the thread title and thought this was a season thread.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #23
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Maybe I need to add OAD based on the US original airdate to my thread title in the future...

Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #24
laria
Librocubicularist

Personally I think that is more useful for threads. I never know what number or title anything is, but at this point it is almost over. I think there's only a few eps left now?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #25
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Personally I think that is more useful for threads. I never know what number or title anything is, but at this point it is almost over. I think there's only a few eps left now?
Yeah... 3 more... Episode 6 was last night...

Every other season has gone to 9 episodes in total...

I don't think it's too late to implement though...I'll start with the next one...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #26
ADG
Allan

8 regular season episodes plus the Christmas Day Episode (which was the series finale this season)

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #27
mr.unnatural

I won't spoil it for anyone, but all of the final season episodes have already aired in the UK and are available via other means. As such, I've already seen the final episodes. Let me suffice it to say that they were among the most satisfying episodes for a series finale of any show I have ever seen. You won't be disappointed. My wife and I will miss this show immensely. Definitely a classic and raises the bar for quality TV.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #28
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I won't spoil it for anyone, but all of the final season episodes have already aired in the UK and are available via other means. As such, I've already seen the final episodes. Let me suffice it to say that they were among the most satisfying episodes for a series finale of any show I have ever seen. You won't be disappointed. My wife and I will miss this show immensely. Definitely a classic and raises the bar for quality TV.
Agree completely. My wife is still rewatching the episodes of the final season.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote