TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #91
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I don't suppose they'll announce android streaming at CES?
CES 2014 or CES 2015?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #92
patrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
What do you mean direct connect without a proxy?
I blame my OOH streaming quality issues on the proxy connection. When I've tried to stream OOH in the past I'm doing it with 5mbs up with the Roamio directly connected to my FIOS router. I'm pulling down the stream on my iPhone which was also connected to FIOS with a 20mbs down connection. The pixalation and constant freezes and overall quality of the stream was horrible. My best guess is that my connection to the proxy isn't very good...directly connecting to my Roamio would give me the best shot at a watchable experience.
patrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #93
jcthorne

With this the 2nd day of CES, its sure quiet on the Tivo front. Would have expected something more than a lame video of folks trying to watch TV too long.

Really had expected some major announcements from Tivo this year. The networked DVR is nothing more than a mini with slightly different software to access a remote server rather than a local one. Big deal.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #94
JosephB

The network DVR is a big deal for TiVo. You have to keep in mind, partner deals are more important to them than retail DVR customers. CableCard will die eventually, and there's no guarantee there will be a replacement. This may be the only hope for the TiVo interface and service at some date in the future.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #95
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
With this the 2nd day of CES, its sure quiet on the Tivo front. Would have expected something more than a lame video of folks trying to watch TV too long.

Really had expected some major announcements from Tivo this year. The networked DVR is nothing more than a mini with slightly different software to access a remote server rather than a local one. Big deal.
I agree - first time in years they have a booth and we get people watching TV.

All the future functionality and near term enhancements are still being discussed in invitation only closed door meetings.

Kind of dissapointing...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #96
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Now that the major press conferences are about over, you will see the companies like TiVo make their announcements. My guess is they are saving a few of their announcements until near the end of CES. I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering this year though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #97
aaronwt
HD Addict

At this point Android Stream support would be earth shattering. I'm hoping now it will show up by the 2014 NFL season. And to think I was hoping I would be able to use a stream with the 2012 NFL season.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #98
Balzer

Watching Tebow greet the TV watchers right now... But I don't think they are going to make it.. They look pretty dead.

Roamio/Stream (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Oct '13)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #99
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

CES 2014: TiVo reveals second screen viewing behaviour

http://www.iptv-news.com/2014/01/ces...ing-behaviour/

TiVo data indicates that overall, 78% of ‘streaming-capable’ TiVo subscribers are streaming content to their mobile devices at least once per month since in-home capability was launched in September 2012. Additionally, the average number of streaming sessions per month has increased by almost 50% in the second half of the year, while the time spent on streaming sessions is up 20% per user on a monthly basis.

No mention that is for iOS devices only and us Android users have been left out in the DARK.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #100
Dan203
Super Moderator

The fact that there was another announcement from TiVo at all is good news. Maybe we still have hope that more things will be revealed.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #101
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

so far, yahoo! wins my vote for best presentation at 2014 ces :

SNL Stars at CES Yahoo
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #102
Dan203
Super Moderator

That was terrible! Until Kenan came out every joke she told fell completely flat. I felt like I could hear crickets chirping. Even after Kenan came out the laughs were sparse.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #103
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That was terrible! Until Kenan came out every joke she told fell completely flat. I felt like I could hear crickets chirping. Even after Kenan came out the laughs were sparse.
It was the completely wrong audience to do that skit with. Someone should of realized that before sending them out there. It isn't surprising that Yahoo doesn't get their audience considering they called everyone that didn't live on the coast "normals" aka idiots.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #104
jcthorne

Quote:
The network DVR is a big deal for TiVo. You have to keep in mind, partner deals are more important to them than retail DVR customers. CableCard will die eventually, and there's no guarantee there will be a replacement. This may be the only hope for the TiVo interface and service at some date in the future.
If this is the 'only hope' I will no longer be a Tivo customer at that point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #105
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
"He also confirmed that TiVo has 4K/Ultra HD support on product roadmap, and that the company expects to support native 4K later this year on its new retail-focused Roamio line of DVRs, MSO-distributed TiVo hardware, and on software that it ports to third-party DVRs from suppliers such as Pace."

"Because 4K is in the early stages of deployment, he views 4K support as a “future-proofing” measure. “We’re still trying to judge the timing on it,” he said."

http://www.multichannel.com/distribu...ork-dvr/147562

Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #106
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
"He also confirmed that TiVo has 4K/Ultra HD support on product roadmap, and that the company expects to support native 4K later this year on its new retail-focused Roamio line of DVRs, MSO-distributed TiVo hardware, and on software that it ports to third-party DVRs from suppliers such as Pace."

"Because 4K is in the early stages of deployment, he views 4K support as a “future-proofing” measure. “We’re still trying to judge the timing on it,” he said."

That Virgin Media is testing the network DVR from TiVo is interesting. Virgin is one of TiVo's biggest partners and is owned by Liberty Media, who owns a significant stake in Charter. I know Tom Rutledge killed Charter's TiVo trials when he came on board at Charter but this gives me hope that TiVo still has a chance at some point with Charter here in the US.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #107
lessd

Quote:

TiVo was late on HD TV, as I got my first HDTV in 2004 and had to use a Comcast DVR to record HDTV until 2006 when TiVo came out with an $800 HD DVR (the original Series 3), so now they will be early on 4K!!, to get true 4K will require much more bandwidth than normal HDTV, whatever the compression used (if used on both types of xmission). What I don't understand is the need of any DVR if your program(s) are in the cloud, you just need a interface to download and watch. A DVR without a hard drive is well not a DVR IMHO. Now in your home a TP or Roamio can serve as cloud storage for a TiVo Mini, but your still controlling the total system.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #108
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo was late on HD TV, as I got my first HDTV in 2004 and had to use a Comcast DVR to record HDTV until 2006 when TiVo came out with an $800 HD DVR (the original Series 3), so now they will be early on 4K!!, to get true 4K will require much more bandwidth than normal HDTV, whatever the compression used (if used on both types of xmission). What I don't understand is the need of any DVR if your program(s) are in the cloud, you just need a interface to download and watch. A DVR without a hard drive is well not a DVR IMHO. Now in your home a TP or Roamio can serve as cloud storage for a TiVo Mini, but your still controlling the total system.
You had an HD DVR in 2004? I had an HD cable box that got about 4 channels, was a special cable box (my main cable box didn't do HD) and didn't have a DVR in it.

My original S3 was my first HD DVR.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #109
jcthorne

Quote:

Gee, I wonder how they expect to change the hardware in the Roamios to handle 4k? IE the statement is out of whack. Tivo may indeed support 4k on a future device, but the Roamio hardware currently being sold will not.

Overall for Tivo putting up a full display and all at CES this year, they announced very little new and none of the things that were anticipated. No android support, no new Amazon client, no new partners to speak of.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #110
spaldingclan

I asked @tivomargret via Twitter about any "real" announcements and all she said was this:
We're showing the Opera TV Store with 100+ free apps for Series4 and Series5 TiVo boxes.

wow, really? 100+ worthless Roku like apps? thanks Tivo!
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #111
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo was late on HD TV, as I got my first HDTV in 2004 and had to use a Comcast DVR to record HDTV until 2006 when TiVo came out with an $800 HD DVR (the original Series 3),...................
I got my first HD TiVos in May 2004. It worked with OTA and DirecTV.

Prior to that I had to use a couple of HTPCs to record and watch my HD content. A couple of HiPix DTV200 cards. I started using them in 2001 to recrod HD. But it was basically a digtal VCR that recorded OTA HD. I was so glad when I got a couple of the HD TiVos in 2004 and could stop monitoring all my HD recordings to make sure the shows came on at the time I had set.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #112
ThomC

I'd be happiest if I could stream from my Roamio to my Samsung Smart TVs via an Opera App.
Don't think they'll be making me happy though...
ThomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #113
Philmatic

4k support is interesting when coupled with the Netflix & Amazon announcements at CES.

Also, 4K support could potentially lead to four simultaneous 1080p screens in a 2x2 grid or six 720p screens in a 3x3 grid. I never understood why TiVo never explored this option, multiple live TV screens, would be epic for Football and News junkies.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #114
Dan203
Super Moderator

Why try to watch multiple live stations simultaneously when you can just record them and watch them one at a time? And why are you watching live TV at all? The whole point of TiVo is to record everything and watch whatever you want whenever you want.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #115
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
87 hours is crazy! I hope someone brought some meth.
Quote:
If I were going to sit down for 87 hours of binge watching, you can bet the blue stuff would be on the playlist
Wolf of Wall Street: "I'm not going to sit through that without being high."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #116
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
You had an HD DVR in 2004? I had an HD cable box that got about 4 channels, was a special cable box (my main cable box didn't do HD) and didn't have a DVR in it.

My original S3 was my first HD DVR.
Comcast (in CT) had a HD DVR at the end of 2004, it only had 15 or 20 hour of storage. Few stations were in HD at that time, most of our family recording was with the Series 2 analog, not in HD. Cable Co starting HD xmission in 2003.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #117
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Why try to watch multiple live stations simultaneously when you can just record them and watch them one at a time? And why are you watching live TV at all? The whole point of TiVo is to record everything and watch whatever you want whenever you want.
Because you like to football sports book look with multiple games on.

Or at least that why one of my friends does that - with multiple DirecTV DVRs driving it so he can replay anything interesting for everone over watching football and tracking their various fantasy teams.

Don't entirely get that myself, but it's certainly an impressive collection of screens. A projector which is usually on the Red Zone channels, one monitor with the scoreboard channel, and 4 or 5 more with individual games on.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #118
retired_guy

Quote:
Sometimes when watching something on Comcast Video on Demand I won't get back to the program prior to Comcast losing my position in the program. Then I have to replay the entire program I've watched, including commercials, until I get back to where I was. Since I've got two TiVos, I switch to the other one during the playback and then back to the Video on Demand recording when I think it's at my restart point. Two screens would be a nicer solution to the problem, assuming Comcast never allows fast forward during viewing. And it would also give people a trick to do something more interesting during Comcast's irritating VOD commercials.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #119
Dan203
Super Moderator

VOD is an app isn't it? Not sure this feature would even work with that. I know it technically uses a tuner to function, but it's still being controlled by the app so I doubt that even if this feature existed you'd be able to push it to a PIP window while you watch something else. This would be more for live TV stuff. I know some people use it for sports, but even then you can't actually watch 2 things at once so you're either constantly darting your eyes between them or watching one and ignoring the other. But I'm not a sports guy, so maybe I don't understand.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #120
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
I asked @tivomargret via Twitter about any "real" announcements and all she said was this:
We're showing the Opera TV Store with 100+ free apps for Series4 and Series5 TiVo boxes.

wow, really? 100+ worthless Roku like apps? thanks Tivo!
Could one of the apps be Amazon Prime Instant Streaming???

I have having to switch to my PS3 to watch that.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote