TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
moyekj

I'd like to see official SDK for mindrpc related functionality and SDK for video streaming to and from a TiVo (not via Opera but the kind of access Netflix seems to have). I don't expect to ever get either one of those, but one can always dream...

My guess is on SDK front at best they will offer up a lame Opera browser based SDK which is not very useful for video streaming given it is restricted to mp4 container with H.264 video and aac audio only. i.e. Nothing beyond what can already be done without an SDK with built in Opera browser.

I'd also like to see browser client support for TiVo Stream (to extend it to laptops/desktops instead of just iOS/Android), but doubt that's on the horizon any time soon, if ever.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 01-03-2014 at 03:31 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
That would be great, but very unlikely.

Probably lots of promotion of VMS next week, though I gave up on it.
Yeah, I wonder what happened there... Investing less in the FiOS hardware? Sidetracked by the Arris/Moto merger? New streaming features slowing down development? Hm. Just pinged my Verizon PR person for more. Although I may not be able to share anything I learn until next week.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I'd also like to see browser client support for TiVo Stream (to extend it to laptops/desktops instead of just iOS/Android), but doubt that's on the horizon any time soon, if ever.
I actually think this might happen. Encrypted HLS is supported via Flash now, and TiVo already showed a browser based version of their UI last year at the cable show. So the pieces to make it happen exist already.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #34
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That it will get pushed? Or that it wont?

I wouldn't take the bet either way as TiVo is completely unpredictable.

I am actually pretty upbeat on TiVo at the moment. The tempo of development and delivery has been breath of fresh air considering the 2 year malaise they were in.

I think android support and cellular streaming will be demoed and come pretty quickly following CES. As for a new Amazon Prime client, call it wishful thinking.

Worthwhile SDK? I am not very optimistic outside what Opera already offers.

Web based client? I think TiVo is really missing the oportunity with this - but I am also not very optimistic for a near term solution.

How about implementation of dynamic tuner allocation for the stream?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #35
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I actually think this might happen. Encrypted HLS is supported via Flash now, and TiVo already showed a browser based version of their UI last year at the cable show. So the pieces to make it happen exist already.
I suspect what TiVo is trying to avoid is developing a utility that can feed a large screen - and compete with the Mini.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #36
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
TiVo already showed a browser based version of their UI last year at the cable show.
The portal has already soft launched for RCN... yet there hasn't been a press release/announcement by TiVo or RCN yet. Probably coming soon?

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/...rtal-launches/

And here's the video I shot at the Cable Show. What they add to it is limitless, just depends on licensing stuff for folks like RCN and a desire (for stuff like retail Roamio/Stream access).

TiVo Everywhere Portal

Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I suspect what TiVo is trying to avoid is developing a utility that can feed a large screen - and compete with the Mini.
Maybe, but I think the limitations on the Stream thus far have been technical and not some fear of competition with the Mini. They use encrypted HLS for streaming, which was not widely supported outside of Apple products until recently. It was only added to Android in 4.0 and fully supported in 4.2, and only added to the Flash player plug-in for the desktop back in July. The ability to expand the Stream to other devices, without having to convert to a completely different protocol, has only recently become possible so I'm not sure limiting the Streaming to iOS until now is really an indication of intent. I think it's more an indication of technical limitation.

Although why they lock down HDMI and AirPlay I'm not sure. However that could be something they do to appease Cable Labs and not to prevent competition with the Mini.

Personally I think using the Stream in place of a Mini would be a poor experience anyway, so I'm not sure many people would use it like that even if it were an option.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
The portal has already soft launched for RCN... yet there hasn't been a press release/announcement by TiVo or RCN yet. Probably coming soon?

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/...rtal-launches/

And here's the video I shot at the Cable Show. What they add to it is limitless, just depends on licensing stuff for folks like RCN and a desire (for stuff like retail Roamio/Stream access).

TiVo Everywhere Portal
When you watched that demo did they ever show the ability to actually play video via that portal? Or even have a placeholder where that might be?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #39
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
When you watched that demo did they ever show the ability to actually play video via that portal? Or even have a placeholder where that might be?
The demo probably wasn't for public consumption at the time... and I assumed having it out in the open was an oversight - so I quickly took a few pics and just shot this little video before anyone stopped to wonder what I was looking at. Whatever's in there is pretty much most/all of what I saw.

EDIT: I should add that the site looked like a beta for RCN but was hosted on a "tvetest" TiVo URL. Also, I found a pic where there was an on demand playback option. Unfortunately, doesn't look like I have any photos from a NPL/recording.

Last edited by davezatz : 01-03-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #40
bayern_fan

OOH streaming not restricted by the ridiculous CCI byte would be welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
OOH streaming not restricted by the ridiculous CCI byte would be welcomed.
That's more a legal issue. I'm sure they'd add that if they could. Maybe they're just taking a cautious approach and seeing how the cable companies react, or maybe they already asked Cable Labs and this is what they have to do. We don't really know at this point and there is really no precedent. The only other devices that do out of home streaming exploit the analog hole and aren't subject to the CCI byte at all. (DirecTV also does direct streaming, but they are their own provider so they can do pretty much whatever they want)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #42
davezatz
Funkadelic

I believe TiVo will have a presence as tonight's Pepcom Digital Experience event, so some news to go along with it isn't out of the question. The main convention center floor opens Thursday, but here's what TiVo's under construction booth looked like on Saturday:

https://twitter.com/davezatz/status/...367936/photo/1
Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #43
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Looks nice so far. You meant Tuesday?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #44
mrizzo80

Quote:
I believe TiVo will have a presence as tonight's Pepcom Digital Experience event, so some news to go along with it isn't out of the question. The main convention center floor opens Thursday, but here's what TiVo's under construction booth looked like on Saturday:

Hope they used the $1.00 off coupon from TiVo Central for those paper towels.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #45
Dan203
Super Moderator

Those do not appear to be Bounty!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #46
AdamNJ

Quote:

This video link is to "watch people watch tv" and try to break the record. https://www.dropcam.com/p/YsCvYJ

But for now, you can watch (and hear) people assemble the booth. The fact that the sound is on, seems funny to me.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #47
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
This video link is to "watch people watch tv" and try to break the record. https://www.dropcam.com/p/YsCvYJ

But for now, you can watch (and hear) people assemble the booth. The fact that the sound is on, seems funny to me.
Grab a screen shot if anyone eats a booger...

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #48
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Grab a screen shot if anyone eats a booger...
Coincidentally, @TiVo tweets
Quote:
TiVo ‏@TiVo 2h
We are watching American Pickers...

Is TV watching the "exciting project" TiVo was recruiting volunteers for?

Last edited by caughey : 01-07-2014 at 12:41 AM.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #49
drebbe
Carbon Blob

TiVo Demos Network DVR Prototype For Operators At CES

TiVo Inc., a global leader in the advanced television entertainment market, demonstrated a Network DVR (NDVR) next generation cloud television prototype today at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.

"It may surprise people to learn just how many of TiVo's features are already delivered from the cloud but storage in the cloud is the easy part. TiVo is making it easy both for the consumer and the operator to navigate within a cloud environment to facilitate a TV experience that is much more personal and we are once again leading the way in developing the best in class consumer features to enable the consumer to access all the content they want, whenever and wherever they want it -- even as those sources and devices continue to evolve," said TiVo's Vice President of Innovation, Joshua Danovitz. "With an increasingly complicated entertainment landscape that includes a multitude of content choices, sources and devices, both consumers and operators are challenged to find the appropriate means to navigate the burgeoning content. TiVo is once again defining the landscape of how viewers will consume entertainment, and how pay TV operators provide the best in class user experience."

The TiVo NDVR is a natural extension of the TiVo solution and will use TiVo's Emmy Award winning cloud service. TiVo's NDVR will extend the TiVo Service and consistent user experience on every device, while enabling consumers to easily find, consume and socially share cloud delivered content through the TiVo user interface. This is an important next step for operators as they consider a transition to IP delivered content and utilization of low-cost IP clients and consumer provided devices (tablets, smartphones, etc.) while enhancing the user experience anywhere they may be.

TiVo will extend current features and functionality and plans to enable new consumer features that enable co-viewing experiences through social networks and recommendations across disparate libraries of content.

"The natural evolution of the TiVo Service to address network storage is one of the cornerstones of TiVo's overall strategy to deliver an experience that delights the consumer on every screen while driving down pay TV operator costs at the same time as increasing monetization opportunities," continued Danovitz.

In addition to moving the Roamio experience to the cloud, TiVo would be enabling operators and programmers to manage complex content rights, create multiple tiers of network PVR features, and enable multiscreen policies that accelerate the critical transition to an all IP video world. For instance, operators deploying TiVo's NDVR could offer a premium service with expanded catch-up and save options. The service could also empower programmers to more intelligently target advertising in cloud hosted time-shifted content.

CES 2014 runs from January 7 - 10 in Las Vegas. TiVo's booth is located at LVCC, Central Hall - 7920.

Joshua Danovitz will be keynoting at "Connecting to the Cloud @ CES" where he'll explain the competitive edge of cloud-based solutions compared to older, more localized methods of online content distribution (and moreover, how social networking influences how, when and what we stream) on Wednesday, January 8, 5:00 p.m. in the Las Vegas Convention Center North Hall, N262.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #50
ilovedvrs

lame, prototype never will be release knowing Tivo....

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/t...=rss_truncated
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #51
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post

I wouldn't want to be totally reliant on cloud storage for a DVR. If you could pick and choose which Season Passes gets stored locally and which get stored in the cloud, then I could see using it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #52
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post

It doesn't sound like a stand alone consumer offering. Sounds like an offering for/to cable companies who rent you TiVo DVRs.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #53
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wouldn't want to be totally reliant on cloud storage for a DVR. If you could pick and choose which Season Passes gets stored locally and which get stored in the cloud, then I could see using it.
First as I said in my last post I don't think this will be direct to consumer offering and even if it is, given I can not even stream SD stuff many nights without lots of buffering and that my upload speed is less than 0.5/Mb/s I don't personally don't see how I could use the service any time soon.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #54
bayern_fan

Cloud storage of a local recording could provide some hope that we will someday be able to access our Tivo recordings from a web browser.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #55
moyekj

Consumer Roamios (and series 4 units) are already too cloud dependent IMO given the "c133" errors we were all getting fairly recently and the associated loss of functionality. I don't see increasing cloud dependency as a good thing at all...
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #56
lessd

FOX and ABC OD is somewhat like a cloud service, and you are forced to watch ads and can't fast forward, not what I want from my DRV experience. Even Netflix is a pain to go back in a program, not like using a recorded program on todays TiVo. If my cable/internet goes down in a storm I still have any recorded programs on my TiVo I can watch. Non recordable IPTV with ads is of no value to me, and I think many others.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #57
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
First as I said in my last post I don't think this will be direct to consumer offering and even if it is, given I can not even stream SD stuff many nights without lots of buffering and that my upload speed is less than 0.5/Mb/s I don't personally don't see how I could use the service any time soon.
I would be interested in having some cloud space as a component of the solution. One reason Netflix and other streaming services work so well, is that they have the infrastructure to drive the services. You expose the weak link in OOH streaming, you need to (in real time) convert the stream, upload the stream through your network to the internet and then download the stream to your device... Any bottleneck along that path will cause a stutter, stammer or just plain failure.

And even the process of offloading content to your device is a pain, because at least with IOS, it cannot be done in the background.

If you had cloud space you could choose to move a recording (or record to...) that cloud storage. It would then be available to you remotely - with the stability and hardware support to make OOH streaming as reliable as Netflix.

Nobody wants to give up their local storage for cloud storage, but cloud storage as an additonal service would be a very welcome addition in my mind.

Another Thought:

What if - both of us as TiVo owers - I could share my cloud content with you? A process as simple as changing the owner ID and it moves from me to you should make the solution legal... You could then view it from your TiVo or TiVo portal device. When you are done with it, transfer it back to me or the next guy...

I have an open mind on the oportunties of this solution, as long as the industry / TiVo doesn't try to take my local storage away.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 01-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #58
Philmatic

In this scenario, "cloud" means outside your home's network and on your Cable Provider network. Not public internet cloud like Netflix and Hulu. Bandwidth shouldn't be as big an issue as one would assume.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #59
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
In this scenario, "cloud" means outside your home's network and on your Cable Provider network. Not public internet cloud like Netflix and Hulu. Bandwidth shouldn't be as big an issue as one would assume.
First off, we do not know what the full intent of this service is.

It might be as simple as allowing small cable companies to offer a cheap (think TiVo Mini*) solution to customers paired with cloud storage.

It might also be offered as a service to retail consumers for more robust functionality as I outlined above. As a service, the difference between private cloud and semipublic cloud (my content sharing scenario) is a small leap. I never suggested that TiVo would become a Netflix type provider of content or serve single copies of content across consumers. I only suggest that a robust cloud infrastructure would serve content remotely with more stability then the solution in place today.

Both solutions are resonable and bring consumer value.

*note: I realize a new box would need to be designed with tuners, etc.. and the TiVo Mini couldn't be leveraged directly.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 01-07-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #60
JosephB

I highly, highly doubt that this would be something offered to retail customers, nor would it be something that you record locally but then push the content back up to the cloud service. How inefficient is that? Send the video down in a 5-10mbps QAM, only to immediately push it right back up through the public internet at the same exact bitrate, when most people don't have that high of an upstream bandwidth?

This is entirely to compete with the likes of ActiveVideo. The tuners will be at the cable company, they'll just record it directly at the datacenter, and then the video will be streamed to you either via IP or via a VOD type system. To think otherwise is foolish wishful thinking.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote