TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
dave13077

Tivo announces new Cloud DVR Service

For cable companies and not retail but interesting none the less.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/07/tivo-network-dvr/
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
mattack

Let me put a huge NAS in my home and have that be my house's cloud storage! Then it would hopefully be safe (can deal with drives going bad), and not have to deal with disk space issues... (i.e. I could actually record more stuff in HD.. I am now starting to record SOME stuff in HD, but mostly stuff I'm almost positive I'm going to watch that night.. though I'm already backlogged, so I'll probably move my SPs back to SD station..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
tomhorsley

"Cloud DVR" is just a code word for "the cable companies can prevent you from skipping over commercials". No thanks.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
"Cloud DVR" is just a code word for "the cable companies can prevent you from skipping over commercials". No thanks.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Yep - kind of like letting the fox guard the henhouse!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
That's precisely the reason why I hate "ON DEMAND". There is nothing on demand about it. It takes forever to watch a 42 minute show "On Demand" versus TiVo. I've had to do it to catch-up.

Now, if they somehow had a sponsor who a had a commercial at the beginning and the middle who paid for it, and made it 44 minutes instead of 42, I'd buy it. BUT not the way it's structured now. The whole thing is messed-up.

Until the content providers come-up with a better model and realize and UNDERSTAND what we really want AND HOW we want it, then, I am staying where I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

It took me an hour and five minutes to watch an episode of Breaking Bad On Demand. There was nothing convenient about it at all.

This won't go anywhere. Tivo has spend over a decade making plans with cable companies. Very few have ever gone anywhere.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
That's precisely the reason why I hate "ON DEMAND". There is nothing on demand about it. It takes forever to watch a 42 minute show "On Demand" versus TiVo. I've had to do it to catch-up.
That's funny, because I HATE commercials, but still _SOMEWHAT_ like On Demand.

1) After a few days, most shows "convert" to a version with RELATIVELY few commercials
2) Obviously I can watch the HD version... (I still mostly record SD versions for disk space reasons.. though just in the past week or so have converted more SPs to HD.. I'm already up to 70% on my Roamio Plus, so I'll probably put a bunch back to SD)
3) Some shows DO let you fast forward through commercials.. Mostly not the main networks though. (e.g. Food Network and I am almost positive Discovery do let you FF through commercials.) Yes, latency is a pain.
4) Many channels, including many of the broadcast channels, do NOT have copy protection, so I can still record them (on another recorder) and FF through the commercials. While this is admittedly not HD anymore, it is widescreen, and looks pretty good to me. Yes, sounds like a lot of steps, but for some shows that DON'T convert to the low-commercial-count version, it works..

Basically, having it is a lot better than not having it.

Oh yeah, Colbert & Daily Show do convert to a version that's like 21 minutes long. Some of the commercial breaks are removed ENTIRELY, the other ones usually have one or two short promos for their own shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's funny, because I HATE commercials, but still _SOMEWHAT_ like On Demand.

1) After a few days, most shows "convert" to a version with RELATIVELY few commercials
2) Obviously I can watch the HD version... (I still mostly record SD versions for disk space reasons.. though just in the past week or so have converted more SPs to HD.. I'm already up to 70% on my Roamio Plus, so I'll probably put a bunch back to SD)
3) Some shows DO let you fast forward through commercials.. Mostly not the main networks though. (e.g. Food Network and I am almost positive Discovery do let you FF through commercials.) Yes, latency is a pain.
4) Many channels, including many of the broadcast channels, do NOT have copy protection, so I can still record them (on another recorder) and FF through the commercials. While this is admittedly not HD anymore, it is widescreen, and looks pretty good to me. Yes, sounds like a lot of steps, but for some shows that DON'T convert to the low-commercial-count version, it works..

Basically, having it is a lot better than not having it.

Oh yeah, Colbert & Daily Show do convert to a version that's like 21 minutes long. Some of the commercial breaks are removed ENTIRELY, the other ones usually have one or two short promos for their own shows.
Yes, I've experienced that.

Still, my point is, that's not the RULE, but the exception.

For example, because of a Temp Job I had, I missed the FIRST 10 episodes of "Arrow" this year. Where I was, I only had Time Warner, and there was no "On Demand" option for this show even. I have had to get "Arrow" in other ways to catch-up before I returned to my trusty TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote