TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
cwozny

Arrow MoCa Networking Problems

Hi! We are trying to set up a MoCa network in our home to connect a Roamio and a Mini. We have 2 MoCa adapters (as the TiVo representative told us to do) - one connected to the cable modem and router and one connected to the Roamio. The Roamio device works perfectly on its own but we are having problems with setting up the network.

The power light and the ethernet light both light up solid on both MoCa adapters. However, the coax light does not light up on either MoCa adapter and have never been illuminated on either.

I am very competent with troubleshooting technical issues on my own and with representatives but this one is stumping the entire family. All of the wiring has been checked and rechecked and all of the wired connections are set up correctly. We have no idea about how the cables in the walls are wired or if we have appropriate splitters and would not know how to find out that information. I have called TiVo twice now to try to fix this issue but we still are out of luck with the Mini (and also the coax lights on the adapters).

Any help is appreciated!!

cwozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

What kind of Roamio? The Roamio Pro is MoCa ready so I would think you would go from the adapter at your modem straight to the Roamio and the Roamio would connect. Are the minis MoCa ready? I don't use one.
I have FiOS which has MoCa running thru the cable and my Pro connected right up, no issues.
Good luck!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS
1 TiVo Mini
Series 2- Just sittin around.
Connected via MoCa and wireless adapters
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
UCLABB

Need more info. What type of Roamio, do you have a tuning adapter and if so how is it connected.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
cwozny

We just have the "Roamio" (4-tuner).

We do not have a tuning adapter connected and do not need one from our cable/internet provider (TWC).

Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #5
DJHall

I would put both adapters next to each other and connect them directly together with a coax cable. If they don't find each other and establish a connection then you probably have a bad adapter.

If they connect when wired directly together then you'll probably have to either start tracing and inspecting the wiring in your walls or give up on MoCA and try powerline adapters instead.

DJHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwozny View Post
We have no idea about how the cables in the walls are wired or if we have appropriate splitters and would not know how to find out that information.
That seems the most critical bit in setting-up a MoCA network, understanding how the coax lines are wired.

Do you know where the coaxial enters the house? (Are you IN a house? Or apartment/condo?) If so, can you trace this line to where it splits-off for the various runs to your individual rooms? This is an especially critical step, as you'll need to install a MoCA PoE filter on the input port of your main/first splitter, to isolate your network from your cable provider *and* neighbors. (You may also require a MoCA PoE filter on the coax in on your cable modem, if your modem doesn't have MoCA filtering built-in.)

Also, how many rooms do you have coaxial runs to? Ideally, you could trace/identify each of these runs simply by disconnecting outputs from the main splitter and seeing if a given room loses its connection. If two or more rooms lose their cable signal when you disconnect a single output on the main splitter, you likely have another splitter on the line you'll need to track down.

All that said, a rudimentary test to verify you have functioning MoCA adapters, as suggested by DJHall, might be your best next step.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
krkaufman

Quote:
Hi! We are trying to set up a MoCa network in our home to connect a Roamio and a Mini. We have 2 MoCa adapters (as the TiVo representative told us to do) - one connected to the cable modem and router and one connected to the Roamio. The Roamio device works perfectly on its own but we are having problems with setting up the network.
Is the Roamio Basic close to the router (or downlink switch) such that it could be directly connected to your Ethernet network? (That is, is a MoCA adapter actually necessary for your Roamio? If it can be Ethernet-wired, then it doesn't *need* to be on the MoCA network -- though I'm assuming you need MoCA for at least one of your Roamio or Mini.)

Pages 4-6 of this doc (linked in "main" MoCA thread) provide good diagrams for common coax network layouts. Ideally, you can figure out how your house is wired and map it to one of those diagrams... or draw something up and post back here for feedback.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
cwozny

The Roamio is too far away from our cable modem to connect via Ethernet.

The MoCa adapters work when hooked up directly to each other.

We were able to locate the main splitter in the basement where one cable goes into the Internet and one goes into TVs.

We have 4 coax outlets in the house.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
fcfc2

Quote:
The Roamio is too far away from our cable modem to connect via Ethernet.

The MoCa adapters work when hooked up directly to each other.

We were able to locate the main splitter in the basement where one cable goes into the Internet and one goes into TVs.

We have 4 coax outlets in the house.
Do you have any POE / Whole Home DVR filters? On belongs on the input of that main splitter you found, also how many ports is it. Is the main splitter MoCA rated? Do you have any amplifiers anywhere on your system?
From your limited description, it sounds like you may have other hidden splitters on your setup, do you have coax outlets in adjoining spots of different rooms?
Verizon
https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-accessories/
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ctronics%2C188
Tech Tool Supply
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Search...atv+moca+rated

http://pctcorporate.com/products-mai...mplifiers.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pieces-MoC...item2344277b9c

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote