Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #361
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I also remember that, right before the closing ceremony in 1998 (Nagano), NBC aired a lengthy story about Louis Zamperini, a WWII pilot who had to ditch his plane in the middle of the Pacific and, with two crewmates (one of whom died), floated in the Pacific for almost seven weeks before being captured by the Japanese. (The Olympic link, besides the fact that the Japanese were involved, was, Zamperini competed in the 1936 Olympics.) I was reminded of this because this is also the story of the upcoming Angelina Jolie-directed movie Unbroken, which had its trailer shown during NBC's Olympics coverage.
...and is based on the book of the same name by Laura Hillenbrand, author of Seabiscuit. Harrowing story, but incredible. The book is worth reading.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #362
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I do happen to notice that during the NFL season, when flipping around there are always women's oriented sports on opposite the football games. I have seen figure skating on MANY times on one of the other networks or on the sports networks. Back in the WWOS days, they used to have figure skating quite often. I think it's there if you look for it. But I don't think the audience, on a week to week basis would be large enough to be anything but what it is now.
Obviously you have not considered murgatroyd's Law of Sports TV, namely, that the viewer's perception of how much a sport is broadcast is in inverse proportion to the viewer's desire to watch it.

Thus you see skating 'quite often' when you channel-surf, while I seek it out and can't find enough.

The golden days of ABC/ESPN/WWOS coverage are gone. NBC likes to counter-program football with themed professional skating+music events where everyone skates on a theme (e.g. Valentine's Day, or to the music of The Beatles), or with a live musical performer. The shows where people skate to a live musical act are actually a lot of fun when you are in the area, but the TV coverage of them is wretched. The directors often intercut the skating with shots of the musicians on stage, so you don't get any sense of the flow of the skating across the ice. (If you don't see how annoying that is, imagine that you are trying to listen to a song, only the person who is watching the show is muting the music whenever the skater is on screen.) IMHO broadcasts which don't show entire performances by skaters don't count as having real figure skating on TV. It is annoying as crap to see hours of these half-assed broadcasts when NBC doesn't broadcast all four events in the real competitions OTA (often only singles show up on TV, and you have to pay extra to see pairs and dance over the internet).

Quote:
I enjoyed the Nancy and Tonya thing. The gala to me is boring. What is the point of the gala anyway? It's not a competition, it's Ice Capades. I'd rather see more cross-country skiing or more boblsedders. We sit here and argue that they don't show enough of the competitions but it's ok to show the gala?
They had planned to show the gala in its entirely on MSNBC but it got bumped for other sports. I don't have a problem with them showing the gala in the oh-dark-hundred timeslot, even if they don't show it for a couple of weeks, but I would like to see it, especially since they had told me it would air.

The Gala is the Closing Ceremony. (There are Opening Ceremonies for figure skating competitions, too, but no one ever shows them.) Like the pre-game formalities and the halftime show at a football game, they are not part of the competition itself, but are still part of the whole event. It may seem weird to you, but it's no different than showing a coin toss, or the first pitch (and the seventh-inning stretch), in baseball.

The main difference between football and skating here is that a figure skating competition is made up of many parts; spectators who might not have been able to attend all four parts of the main competition can attend the gala and see some of the skaters from all four events. And for Sochi, the gala was led off by some of the junior skaters, so it gives us a look at some of the future stars of the sport.

Given that I lived through the era when the Tonya and Nancy debacle took place, and I already know that Nancy has married and has kids and is enjoying being a mom, none of the material in the film was news to me. I would much rather have been able to see the newer skaters coming up, for a sneak preview of who might be competing in the next couple of Olympic cycles.

It seems perverse to run the Tonya and Nancy movie on the last day of the Olympics, when the Closing Ceremony looks forward to handing off the torch to the next city. On the last day of an Olympic Games, it's more appropriate to air a retrospective about the Games just past, not things that happened twenty years ago. Retrospectives from Olympics that long ago should be aired before the Games begin.

Oh, and by the way, you said that I could find more figure skating if I just looked for it.

If I had unlimited funds, then yes, I could find more: I would have enough bandwidth and could sign up for the subscriptions to see the stuff that NBC doesn't bother to broadcast. And if I were willing to do illegal stuff, I could find more skating by other means.

I do have an auto-recording wish list for figure skating and it picks up whatever is on -- both the crappy pro shows and the pittance of competitive skating that NBC doles out. It's a bit silly to assume on a TiVo forum that I wasn't already looking for everything that was available.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 02-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
murgatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #363
aindik

The first pitch and the seventh inning stretch are almost never televised.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #364
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
The first pitch and the seventh inning stretch are almost never televised.
But when they are, it is usually a high-level event, like the World Series.

IIRC, ABC regularly broadcast the Gala for US Nationals and Worlds.

For the Olympics, I have the commercial videos for 1994, 1998, and 2002, all of which have a tape or disc for the exhibition. I'm missing parts of 2006 and 2010 so I don't know what was included.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #365
laria
Librocubicularist

I actually enjoyed the Nancy and Tonya retrospective, not as much for the where are they now parts but for the recap stuff. When all this was going on I was a senior in high school, in the middle of my basketball season, doing stuff high school kids did, etc. so while I remember the whole incident, there was a lot going on around it in the aftermath and just their general upbringing parts that I wasn't really knowledgeable about.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #366
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I actually enjoyed the Nancy and Tonya retrospective, not as much for the where are they now parts but for the recap stuff. When all this was going on I was a senior in high school, in the middle of my basketball season, doing stuff high school kids did, etc. so while I remember the whole incident, there was a lot going on around it in the aftermath and just their general upbringing parts that I wasn't really knowledgeable about.
It was the start of a very bizarre season for the paparazzi. Four months later was OJ!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #367
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
NBC cut 38% of the closing ceremony to "save time."

http://deadspin.com/nbc-edited-out-3...ium=socialflow
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #368
Bigg

The more puffed up the coverage gets, the more TiVo shines.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #369
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
NBC cut 38% of the closing ceremony to "save time."

http://deadspin.com/nbc-edited-out-3...ium=socialflow
They had a new sit com to promote

I liked the Tonya and Nancy thing. I had watched the ESPN 30 for 30 show recently and it was good to see this version of the story because Nancy actually participated. Of course, it made me feel old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #370
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
They can waste an hour and a half raking up the whole Tonya and Nancy debacle, but they can't be bothered to show the entire gala.

Nancy has grown up and moved on, so why can't NBC?
Yeah, I agree, not happy that NBC didn't show all of the gala. They didn't show it at all on NBC Sports, showed only a very small portion in Prime Time, and showed a little bit more in late night. Stupid NBC.

And I watched the Nancy & Tonya show. I feel so sorry for Tonya. She had a tough life. She so wasn't an Ice Princess. I was a huge Figure Skating fan back in those days. Kristi, Nancy, Tonya, and Oksana were all so much fun to watch.

I really felt sorry for Tonya when she said she thought she and Nancy were friends, but Nancy said they weren't friends that they'd just roomed together for some competitions.

I like to believe that Tonya didn't have anything to do with the attack on Nancy. And I think it sucks that the FBI told Nancy that Tonya was the mastermind...but they couldn't prove it. Either prove it or STFU (FBI, not Nancy.) Nancy said it best, at this point, it just doesn't matter.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #371
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I like to believe that Tonya didn't have anything to do with the attack on Nancy. And I think it sucks that the FBI told Nancy that Tonya was the mastermind...but they couldn't prove it. Either prove it or STFU (FBI, not Nancy.) Nancy said it best, at this point, it just doesn't matter.
I have no problem believing she knew about it (although not necessarily the mastermind). Even now, in that special, she came across as always trying to blame others for her problems.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #372
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I have no problem believing she knew about it (although not necessarily the mastermind). Even now, in that special, she came across as always trying to blame others for her problems.
In the 30 for 30, she's even worse. The show went into more detail about the whole plan against Kerrigan. I thought it was interesting that they show a scene where Tonya introudces the big dude as her bodyguard, and in the interview 20 years later, she says, no he wasn't her body guard, why did I need a body guard? I don't think she was in on the "hit" but I think she knew about it all along. I don't think it was her idea though. I do wonder, considering the on again off again relationship she had with Gilooly if this was his play to get back in her good graces, to make sure she wins the Gold Medal and he had a hand in it (of course a gold medal means lots of money, so that could be part of it though). But boy, were they the dumbest bunch of criminals ever?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #373
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
I thought it was interesting that they show a scene where Tonya introudces the big dude as her bodyguard, and in the interview 20 years later, she says, no he wasn't her body guard, why did I need a body guard?
She must have forgotten about those supposed death threats she received in the early nineties that scared her into withdrawing from some competitions and that eventually lead to her having a bodyguard while at competitions.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #374
hummingbird_206

Quote:
In the 30 for 30, she's even worse. The show went into more detail about the whole plan against Kerrigan. I thought it was interesting that they show a scene where Tonya introudces the big dude as her bodyguard, and in the interview 20 years later, she says, no he wasn't her body guard, why did I need a body guard? I don't think she was in on the "hit" but I think she knew about it all along. I don't think it was her idea though. I do wonder, considering the on again off again relationship she had with Gilooly if this was his play to get back in her good graces, to make sure she wins the Gold Medal and he had a hand in it (of course a gold medal means lots of money, so that could be part of it though). But boy, were they the dumbest bunch of criminals ever?
The way I understood Tonya was that her ex hubby forced her to keep the big guy around and act like he was her body guard. That way it looked like she was worried about being attacked even though she and her ex knew that she wasn't in danger of being attacked. That's why she said he wasn't her body guard. He was just a cover story concocted after the fact by her ex-husband to make her appear innocent.

I think Tonya went from one abusive relationship (with her mother) to another (Jeff) and just didn't know what to do. She had divorced Jeff by the time the attack happened. I think it was his idea to attack Nancy so that Tonya would have a better chance of winning and she'd be so happy she'd take him back. Tonya said she found out about the attack after it had happened. I believe that. And she said she told the FBI she would cooperate with them if they would protect her from Jeff and his buddies. I believe that, too.

Tonya is not the brightest bulb in the pack. She had a tough life. But I think she really thought of Nancy as a friend. And I think she believed she could beat Nancy. She had already beaten Nancy. I don't think she would have risked being involved in the attack. OK, I'm going to STFU about this, because again, as Nancy said, at this point, it doesn't really matter.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #375
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Yeah, I agree, not happy that NBC didn't show all of the gala. They didn't show it at all on NBC Sports, showed only a very small portion in Prime Time, and showed a little bit more in late night. Stupid NBC.
I wish I had a thousand dollars for every time Bob Costas or one of his substitutes said "Tonight -- figure skating -- but first ..."

I've hardly seen any of the Primetime coverage because it was on so late in the timeslot, I had to go to bed. Then it was the next day and I was watching MSNBC.

And I just checked my late-night recording, and NBC ran over the timeslot. So I didn't even get a chance to record all of the skaters they showed.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #376
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I wish I had a thousand dollars for every time Bob Costas or one of his substitutes said "Tonight -- figure skating -- but first ..."

I've hardly seen any of the Primetime coverage because it was on so late in the timeslot, I had to go to bed. Then it was the next day and I was watching MSNBC.

And I just checked my late-night recording, and NBC ran over the timeslot. So I didn't even get a chance to record all of the skaters they showed.
Yeah, they did say that a lot. But it wasn't just figure skating, it was whatever the marquee event was that night. The idea, obviously is to keep you hanging around until it was shown. Most nights you could count on it around 9:30 Eastern until about 11:15. There's nothing wrong with this. It's just TV.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #377
secondclaw

I was watching the closing ceremony in the volunteer village canteen - room packed with Russian and international volunteers. Of course this was Russian-language broadcast, and two things stand out. First, they didn't cut anything, and second, their Russian commentator was doing same play-by-play that Costas does for opening/closing ceremony. The main difference was the commentator spent a lot of time relieving 1980 Olympics.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #378
Bigg

Quote:
Yeah, they did say that a lot. But it wasn't just figure skating, it was whatever the marquee event was that night. The idea, obviously is to keep you hanging around until it was shown. Most nights you could count on it around 9:30 Eastern until about 11:15. There's nothing wrong with this. It's just TV.
Thank god for TiVo. TV would be horrible without it...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #379
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondclaw View Post
The main difference was the commentator spent a lot of time relieving 1980 Olympics.
Part of the closing ceremony itself (especially when they extinguished the torch) did a good job of that on its own. I guess they wanted to remind the USA that there actually was a Summer Olympics in 1980 (well, besides in the movie Goldengirl).

Ironically, NBC had the broadcast rights to that Olympics; as a result of the boycott, NBC did not air any Olympics between Winter 1972 and Summer 1988. Forget about Nancy and Tonya; NBC should have done a story on the 1980 women's gymnastics all-around - now there was a controversy!
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #380
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Part of the closing ceremony itself (especially when they extinguished the torch) did a good job of that on its own. I guess they wanted to remind the USA that there actually was a Summer Olympics in 1980 (well, besides in the movie Goldengirl).

Ironically, NBC had the broadcast rights to that Olympics; as a result of the boycott, NBC did not air any Olympics between Winter 1972 and Summer 1988. Forget about Nancy and Tonya; NBC should have done a story on the 1980 women's gymnastics all-around - now there was a controversy!
NBC had broken a long string of ABC aired Olympics, and ABC aired 1984 Summer and Winter, and 1988 Summer, before NBC got the rights to the rest (I think CBS air the Winter Olympics in Calgary IRC). As a kid, I always thought of ABC as the network of the Olympics, and Wide World of Sports, used to show LOTS of Olympic sports to help promote their coverage. It was a different time, but I knew a lot more of the athletes those days than I do now, because WWOS had track and field and swimming and gymnastics and skating and skiing among other events on quite often. A lot is on now, but it's buried beneath dozens of college and pro mainstream sports that are all over the dial.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #381
DLL66

Quote:
NBC had broken a long string of ABC aired Olympics, and ABC aired 1984 Summer and Winter, and 1988 Summer, before NBC got the rights to the rest (I think CBS air the Winter Olympics in Calgary IRC). As a kid, I always thought of ABC as the network of the Olympics, and Wide World of Sports, used to show LOTS of Olympic sports to help promote their coverage. It was a different time, but I knew a lot more of the athletes those days than I do now, because WWOS had track and field and swimming and gymnastics and skating and skiing among other events on quite often. A lot is on now, but it's buried beneath dozens of college and pro mainstream sports that are all over the dial.
I still remember one of the World Wide of Sports lines "the agony of defeat" with that ski jumper crashing at the end of the ramp.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #382
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
I still remember one of the World Wide of Sports lines "the agony of defeat" with that ski jumper crashing at the end of the ramp.
Yep, that is definitely ingrained in my brain from childhood.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #383
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
That was from something called the "Ski Flying" championships, where the hill is much larger than what they usually used - then again, the "large hill" back then was only 90m. (Apparently, ski flying still exists, with 180m hills.)

There were some "Winter Olympic" events that appeared regularly on WWoS:
Alpine Skiing - the men's downhill at the Hahnenkamm in Kitzbuhl, and I think they aired the world ski jumping championships (they also aired a lot of professional skiing events - mainly head-to-head slalom racing)
Figure Skating - US Nationals and World Championships
Skeleton (well, Toboggan) - they always aired an event from the St. Moritz Cresta run each year
Old 02-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #384
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
That was from something called the "Ski Flying" championships, where the hill is much larger than what they usually used - then again, the "large hill" back then was only 90m. (Apparently, ski flying still exists, with 180m hills.)

There were some "Winter Olympic" events that appeared regularly on WWoS:
Alpine Skiing - the men's downhill at the Hahnenkamm in Kitzbuhl, and I think they aired the world ski jumping championships (they also aired a lot of professional skiing events - mainly head-to-head slalom racing)
Figure Skating - US Nationals and World Championships
Skeleton (well, Toboggan) - they always aired an event from the St. Moritz Cresta run each year
Vinko Bogataj (or something like that) was the fellow who fell off the ski-jump. He was uninjured. I remember them having a WWoS retrospective on ABC and they invited him to appear on the show.

I think they had some speed skating on WWoS as well, especially in Olympic years. They regularly showed T&F (NCAA championships I believe) and gymnastics for summer games. They also used to show the EPL final game regularly from Wembley. And of course some real obscure stuff. Wrist Wrestling from Petaluma, CA, Demo Derby, Barrel jumping, quite a few Eval Kneival jumps. And LOTS of boxing.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #385
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Has anyone seen a good schedule for the Paralympics?

There's one at the bottom of this Press release from 19 February, but the formatting is butt-ugly.

Quote:
STAMFORD, Conn. – Feb. 19, 2014 – NBC Olympics and the United States Olympic Committee will present an unprecedented 52 hours of coverage of the upcoming Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games across NBC and NBCSN including 27 hours of live coverage, beginning with the Opening Ceremony on Friday, March 7 at 11 a.m. ET on NBCSN. TeamUSA.org will live stream all events from the Paralympic Winter Games.

NBC Olympics’ coverage will include all five Paralympic winter sports – alpine skiing (which includes snowboarding), cross-country skiing, biathlon, wheelchair curling and sled hockey – spread across 11 days of coverage on NBC and NBCSN.

NBCSN will provide 48 of 52 total hours of coverage, as well as live coverage nearly every day of the Paralympic Winter Games. NBC’s coverage is highlighted by the sled hockey gold medal game on Saturday, March 15 at 1 p.m. ET.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #386
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Has anyone seen a good schedule for the Paralympics?

There's one at the bottom of this Press release from 19 February, but the formatting is butt-ugly.
Here's a better one
Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #387
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, that's much more readable.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #388
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't want to cancel any of the athletes' dreams, but it seems kind of wrong to be honoring Putin and Russia right now.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #389
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Well, the US delegation isn't going now, right? Just the team?
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #390
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Well, the US delegation isn't going now, right? Just the team?
That's what I have heard as well.

Quote:
Vinko Bogataj (or something like that) was the fellow who fell off the ski-jump. He was uninjured. I remember them having a WWoS retrospective on ABC and they invited him to appear on the show.

I think they had some speed skating on WWoS as well, especially in Olympic years. They regularly showed T&F (NCAA championships I believe) and gymnastics for summer games. They also used to show the EPL final game regularly from Wembley. And of course some real obscure stuff. Wrist Wrestling from Petaluma, CA, Demo Derby, Barrel jumping, quite a few Eval Kneival jumps. And LOTS of boxing.
Bogotaj has appeared at least twice - they interviewed him remotely decades ago, and he made an appearance at either the 20th or 25th Anniversary specials. (At one of those, they aired a couple of minor events (I think one of them was a 10K in Butte, Montana) for no other reason that they were in the two states where they had never aired events up to that point.)

While WWoS aired the Rugby League Cup Final (usually from Wembley, but if it ended in a tie, they replayed the entire match in northern England a week later, and ABC aired that game instead) every year (usually with an NFL player along for a comparative analysis with football), I think they aired the F.A. Cup final only once, in the 1960s (and it was not limited to what would now be the EPL; any team, no matter how minor, could enter, although only once has a team that was not in what is now the EPL or England's "Championship" league even made it to the final).

WWoS aired NCAA championships in track & field, swimming, wrestling, and volleyball every year. Note that, back then, the NCAA only conducted championships in men's sports; by the time they started having women's championships (1981-82, IIRC), they had moved to ESPN.