Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #331
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I agree with Lori about Johnny and Tara.

Here is a good piece from the New York Times. It addresses their work, plus the controversy over the scoring.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/22/sp...e-for-nbc.html
The Times has had good coverage of that side of the mic for these games, but I missed that column. Thanks for the pointer.

There are a couple of reasons besides their personal chemistry that Lipinski and Weir make a good analyst team. One, both of them are of the sport recently enough that they know first-hand what it takes to be a modern skater. And two, their results give each of them valuable personal perspective. Lipinski is a gold-medalist. Obviously very few people win those. And Weir never medaled at all, arguably because he skated more like he wanted the attention than he wanted to be the best skater. He never got as much as he might have out of his ability, preferring to be a peacock on the ice. So he understands well the duality of the sport, artistic vs. technical, and how you have to balance those to really excel.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #332
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

As far as I know, NBC Sports Network didn't air the figure skating exhibition as planned (it aired the men's biathlon relay instead). I have a feeling it's because they got Weir and Lipinski to do the commentary for the NBC broadcast. (Also, the whole thing is available online, and it's about 3 1/2 hours long, including some routines NBC probably isn't interested in; for example, the first routine was by Adian Pitkeev, a Russian skater who didn't even compete in Sochi, but was second in the Junior Grand Prix series.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #333
realityboy

I preferred Tara and Johnny myself. The outfits were just a bonus. Even if they were never on camera, they would've been my preference. They had a great mix of chemistry and knowledge. I may be biased since I've never cared for Hammond on skating events.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #334
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
As far as I know, NBC Sports Network didn't air the figure skating exhibition as planned (it aired the men's biathlon relay instead). I have a feeling it's because they got Weir and Lipinski to do the commentary for the NBC broadcast. (Also, the whole thing is available online, and it's about 3 1/2 hours long, including some routines NBC probably isn't interested in; for example, the first routine was by Adian Pitkeev, a Russian skater who didn't even compete in Sochi, but was second in the Junior Grand Prix series.)
Well, crap, wonder why they didn't show the gala as previously planned? The version available online doesn't have Tara and Johnny.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #335
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Well, crap, wonder why they didn't show the gala as previously planned? The version available online doesn't have Tara and Johnny.
Because they got promoted to Prime Time

I guess the original plan was for Johhny and Tara to do it for NBC Sports Network during the day and then have the regular Prime Time crew (Tom Hammond, Scott Hammilton, etc.) do it in Prime Time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #336
hummingbird_206

Quote:

I guess the original plan was for Johhny and Tara to do it for NBC Sports Network during the day and then have the regular Prime Time crew (Tom Hammond, Scott Hammilton, etc.) do it in Prime Time.
Yes that explains why they didn't have Tara and Johnny on NBC Sports, but doesn't explain why they cut the gala from NBC Sports altogether.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #337
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Yes that explains why they didn't have Tara and Johnny on NBC Sports, but doesn't explain why they cut the gala from NBC Sports altogether.
You mean have a different team do it on NBC Sports Network with Johnny and Tara doing it on main NBC for prime time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #338
hummingbird_206

Quote:
You mean have a different team do it on NBC Sports Network with Johnny and Tara doing it on main NBC for prime time?
Yes. They have a team other than T&J for the web version. Why not for the NBC Sports version? Instead, they cut the NBC Sports version.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #339
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Why you hate NBC's Olympic coverage.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...querading.html
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #340
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I don't hate NBC's coverage, but I'm starting to. Granted that the competition is winding down, but starting tonight's broadcast with a 25-minute (and counting) profile of an athlete who isn't even in these Games is, ah, a curious choice.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #341
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's an interesting point though how the coverage is more like a "reality" show than an actual sports competition.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #342
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Yes. They have a team other than T&J for the web version. Why not for the NBC Sports version? Instead, they cut the NBC Sports version.
Well, Johnny and Tara was the team for NBC Sports Network. When they got promoted to prime time, maybe they decided to not "demote" the NBC crew (Hammond, Hammilton and the other lady) to the NBC Sports Network coverage.

I think the on-line streaming might not even be NBC. Rather, it's a "generic" pool feed for networks/stations from countries that can't have their own crew.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #343
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
It's an interesting point though how the coverage is more like a "reality" show than an actual sports competition.
For Prime Time network NBC, yes. They can't show anything live in that time slot.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #344
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
For Prime Time network NBC, yes. They can't show anything live in that time slot.
It's not just that they can't show live. It's that they have pre-decided what the stories were (Bode Miller, the Russian skater), and then play them up, regardless of what actually happened in competition.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #345
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Well, Johnny and Tara was the team for NBC Sports Network. When they got promoted to prime time, maybe they decided to not "demote" the NBC crew (Hammond, Hammilton and the other lady) to the NBC Sports Network coverage.

I think the on-line streaming might not even be NBC. Rather, it's a "generic" pool feed for networks/stations from countries that can't have their own crew.
  1. I read in an article online that some events on the mountain venues got rescheduled because of fog. I suspect that is why we saw other events today instead of the gala on MSNBC.
  2. I watched some of the gala this morning while it was streaming live. That video was not NBC; I suspect it was an international pool feed (the broadcasters sounded like they were from the BBC/ITV but I didn't recognize them.
  3. Since it is still too early for me to see the Primetime / Latenight broadcasts, I can't say whether Tara and Johnny got 'promoted' or not, or whether the Late Night show will just be an edited-down Primetime. For all I know, they could bump the gala from Latenight or Primetime and show other sports that may have been weather delayed.
  4. I did notice this morning that the streaming video offered had the Women's Free Skate two different ways -- one from the Pool Feed (starting with the third warm-up group) and one the MSNBC feed with Tara and Johnny. I gather the streams aren't always clearly labelled as to which one you will get.

It would be fun if we got a 'skating meet of the week' every week (like Hockey Night in Canada), but I don't see that happening any time soon. I like to watch sectionals and regionals, but not everyone shares my enthusiasm. On the other hand, one of the cable channels out here runs high school football, so there is precedent for showing sports which are not the tippy top levels.

One thing that rarely gets broadcast: artistic roller skating. It's interesting to see the differences in choreography -- the one year I stumbled across the competition, I saw a lot of the roller skaters doing three-jump-sequences. The ice skaters started doing them a couple of seasons later. What ends up on the floor / ice is highly influenced by what the rulebook rewards, so it would be interesting to compare the changes in all the rules over the years.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #346
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
If you've never understood the re-run thing why do you maintain a torrent collection?
That's exactly why I don't understand it. There are a zillion ways to access the back catalog, whether it's streaming or torrents, or whatever, no need to re-run them on cable.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #347
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
That's exactly why I don't understand it. There are a zillion ways to access the back catalog, whether it's streaming or torrents, or whatever, no need to re-run them on cable.
You don't understand why the cable networks won't stop airing syndicated shows since you prefer to steal them?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #348
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
You don't understand why the cable networks won't stop airing syndicated shows since you prefer to steal them?
Yeah, pretty much. Even though it's technically illegal, there's nothing wrong with torrenting stuff as long as you get that channel. You're paying them anyways, so you may as well get it off of torrent.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #349
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Sunday 2/23

7:00 PM - "Sochi Review Show" (hopefully without spending the first hour talking about some human interest story that has little to do with the Olympics this time)
The schedule doesn't even call it "Sochi Review Show" any more - now it's "Nancy & Tonya". At least it's listed as a separate show, so you don't have to record it if you want to record the closing ceremony.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #350
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

The full gala had the top six men and ladies, and the top five pairs and ice dancing couples, plus some younger Russian skaters.

Here's who was in the the gala that NBC didn't show:

Adian Pitkeev (Junior Grand Prix Final second place)
Lina Fedorova & Maxim Miroshkin (2013 Junior World Championships pairs bronze)
Elena Radionova (2013 Junior World Championships ladies gold)
Daisuke Takahashi (sixth, men)
Bobrova & Soloviev (fifth, ice dancing)
Tatsuki Machida (fifth, men)
Moore-Towers & Moscovitch (fifth, pairs) - more of a comedy routine
Javier Fernandez (fourth, men) - another comedy routine
Ilinykh & Katsalapov (bronze, ice dancing)
Denis Ten (bronze, men)
Savchenko & Szolkovy (bronze, pairs)
Stolbova & Klimov (silver, pairs)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #351
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Yeah, pretty much. Even though it's technically illegal, there's nothing wrong with torrenting stuff as long as you get that channel. You're paying them anyways, so you may as well get it off of torrent.
We're being trolled.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #352
Bigg

Quote:
The schedule doesn't even call it "Sochi Review Show" any more - now it's "Nancy & Tonya". At least it's listed as a separate show, so you don't have to record it if you want to record the closing ceremony.
It was listed at "Sochi Gold" out here, but it was the Nancy and Tonya piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
We're being trolled.
No. I'm just saying it like it is.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 AM   #353
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

They can waste an hour and a half raking up the whole Tonya and Nancy debacle, but they can't be bothered to show the entire gala.

Nancy has grown up and moved on, so why can't NBC?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #354
DLL66

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
They can waste an hour and a half raking up the whole Tonya and Nancy debacle, but they can't be bothered to show the entire gala.

You can tell that Nancy and Tonya are about done with this. They've moved on. Just another way to dream up unneeded drama from the past.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #355
eddyj

Quote:

Because the selfish bastards that were skating in the gala did not want to cooperate by creating some controversy that NBC could exploit.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #356
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I don't hate NBC's coverage, but I'm starting to. Granted that the competition is winding down, but starting tonight's broadcast with a 25-minute (and counting) profile of an athlete who isn't even in these Games is, ah, a curious choice.
Yeah, this annoyed me, and they showed it TWICE!! Sheesh. To me, the connection to the Olympics was a stretch at best.

As for their coverage, it is what it is. I think people here and others think it's better in other countries, but earlier I posted an article which says it really isn't. I agree with the author that the Olympics is less about sports as much as it's about the show. And I'm fine with that. As he states, I have no idea who most of the athletes are and outside of hockey, I never watch these sports other than the Olympics. If I cared about these sports, I'd watch them other times. I care about Americans winning, and I care about interesting competition and good stories.

And if you JUST want to watch the competition, NBC gives you that opportunity.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #357
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

It would be fun if we got a 'skating meet of the week' every week (like Hockey Night in Canada), but I don't see that happening any time soon. I like to watch sectionals and regionals, but not everyone shares my enthusiasm. On the other hand, one of the cable channels out here runs high school football, so there is precedent for showing sports which are not the tippy top levels.

One thing that rarely gets broadcast: artistic roller skating. It's interesting to see the differences in choreography -- the one year I stumbled across the competition, I saw a lot of the roller skaters doing three-jump-sequences. The ice skaters started doing them a couple of seasons later. What ends up on the floor / ice is highly influenced by what the rulebook rewards, so it would be interesting to compare the changes in all the rules over the years.
I do happen to notice that during the NFL season, when flipping around there are always women's oriented sports on opposite the football games. I have seen figure skating on MANY times on one of the other networks or on the sports networks. Back in the WWOS days, they used to have figure skating quite often. I think it's there if you look for it. But I don't think the audience, on a week to week basis would be large enough to be anything but what it is now.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #358
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

I enjoyed the Nancy and Tonya thing. The gala to me is boring. What is the point of the gala anyway? It's not a competition, it's Ice Capades. I'd rather see more cross-country skiing or more boblsedders. We sit here and argue that they don't show enough of the competitions but it's ok to show the gala?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #359
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
You can tell that Nancy and Tonya are about done with this. They've moved on. Just another way to dream up unneeded drama from the past.
I think Nancy has moved on, Tonya? Not so much. She did a 30 for 30 as well (without Nancy's involvement). I think Tonya wants to keep her name in the spotlight as much as possible.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #360
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
It was meant to shill NBC's Paralympics coverage. At least NBC got its act together on that. (I remember when NBC's commitment to the Paralympics consisted of a 2-hour "highlights" show about a month after the fact. Now, in addition to the highlights show (which is only a week after the closing ceremony), NBC will cover the opening ceremony and the sled ice hockey final, and NBCSN will have daily coverage.)

I also remember that, right before the closing ceremony in 1998 (Nagano), NBC aired a lengthy story about Louis Zamperini, a WWII pilot who had to ditch his plane in the middle of the Pacific and, with two crewmates (one of whom died), floated in the Pacific for almost seven weeks before being captured by the Japanese. (The Olympic link, besides the fact that the Japanese were involved, was, Zamperini competed in the 1936 Olympics.) I was reminded of this because this is also the story of the upcoming Angelina Jolie-directed movie Unbroken, which had its trailer shown during NBC's Olympics coverage.

Two other things I noticed from the closing ceremony coverage: first, they skipped a few parts, including the raising of the Greek flag (it just suddenly appeared) and the lowering of the Olympic flag (although I think they did show it being carried out); second, I don't remember NBC mentioning the final medal counts. Since Russia led in both total and gold medals, I thought that would get a mention in relation to how well the Russians thought the games went (although I think Putin for one would have traded all of the other golds back for one in men's hockey).

Last edited by That Don Guy : 02-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.