TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #301
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Is BC Place also the place where the figure staking was held and the hockey finals held? I know for sure medals were presented in those venues immediately after the competition was over and medalists decided.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #302
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Johnny and Tara seem to have gotten Terry Gannon into the fashion coordination. Been waiting for that.
I can't watch them anymore. It seems that it's about each of them trying to top each other outfit wise. I simply don't care. Neither of them are any better than the two who do it during primetime and I'm not sure I get why NBC needed two crews to do the SAME EVENT. Actually I kind of do. Having Johnny Weir on gives NBC some buzz because people are talking about his crazy outfits. Otherwise the use of two crews makes little sense.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #303
aindik

I think they use two crews to make editing easier.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #304
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I can't watch them anymore. It seems that it's about each of them trying to top each other outfit wise. I simply don't care. Neither of them are any better than the two who do it during primetime and I'm not sure I get why NBC needed two crews to do the SAME EVENT. Actually I kind of do. Having Johnny Weir on gives NBC some buzz because people are talking about his crazy outfits. Otherwise the use of two crews makes little sense.
Well sure, if you ignore their commentary.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #305
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Well sure, if you ignore their commentary.
So according to this article:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/...-coverage.html

It appears that NBC's plan is to have the day crew cater to the die hard fans and the night crew cater to the casual fan. Maybe that's why I can't tell the difference between them because I'm about as casual fan as their is. There's something about Johnny Weir that annoys me, perhaps it's his tendancy toward self promotion, but I just can't listen to him more than a few minutes. I think Hamilton and Bezic do a pretty good job explaining to me what's happening and that's enough for me and Tom Hammond is really the ultimate pro and I could listen to him call the tiddlywinks tourney in Upper Slobovia, Wisconsin and enjoy his announcing.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #306
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
I think they use two crews to make editing easier.
How so? From what I read, it looks like the two crews are working off of completely different feeds. The day crew is using the International feed and the night crew is using the NBC feed. Both broadcasts are called live.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #307
aindik

Quote:
How so? From what I read, it looks like the two crews are working off of completely different feeds. The day crew is using the International feed and the night crew is using the NBC feed. Both broadcasts are called live.
If they're both called at the same time then I don't get it either.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #308
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Speaking of medals

Medals being presented RIGHT NOW for women's hock. The gold medal game just ended moments ago. No waiting around this time.

Spoiler:

Gold to Canada. Winning goal in OT. on a 5 on 3 power play.

USA was up 2-0 with 4 minutes left in regulation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #309
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
So according to this article:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/...-coverage.html

It appears that NBC's plan is to have the day crew cater to the die hard fans and the night crew cater to the casual fan. Maybe that's why I can't tell the difference between them because I'm about as casual fan as their is. There's something about Johnny Weir that annoys me, perhaps it's his tendancy toward self promotion, but I just can't listen to him more than a few minutes. I think Hamilton and Bezic do a pretty good job explaining to me what's happening and that's enough for me and Tom Hammond is really the ultimate pro and I could listen to him call the tiddlywinks tourney in Upper Slobovia, Wisconsin and enjoy his announcing.
Scott Hamilton is FAR too dramatic. Way too much screaming at every little thing. I have come to prefer Johnny's style.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #310
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Scott Hamilton is FAR too dramatic. Way too much screaming at every little thing. I have come to prefer Johnny's style.
I don't know, but I find it hard to say ANYONE is more dramatic than Johnny Weir

But yeah, I get what you are saying.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #311
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Speaking of dramatic, there's NOBODY more dramatic than the color guy who does cross country. I swear that man is going to pop a heart valve with one more race. By the end of each race he has NO voice left. And I'm watching and I fail to see any of the drama
Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #312
Bigg

Quote:
It's obvious, by your channel choices that you really aren't into scripted shows, or even reality shows for that matter. That's fine.

BTW..basketball... junk sport
For the most part, yes. The Office was good, Big Bang Theory is hilarious, but most of those shows aren't very good. I do want to watch House of Cards though, I've heard it's amazing. I kind of want to get a 4K TV first though lol.

Bball is awesome. Only thing that comes close is Curling!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #313
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
For the most part, yes. The Office was good, Big Bang Theory is hilarious, but most of those shows aren't very good.

TBS, one of your junk channels, is number 1 in the 18-49 dem primarily because they show Big Bang Theory reruns.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #314
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

For those of you who think coverage from other countries is more varied and less jingoistic:

http://news.yahoo.com/different-olym...101814696.html

Really, every country emphasizes the sports they are best at or most popular. The Netherlands or Japan or Canada is no different in that respect than the USA. People want to watch events where their country does well.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #315
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
...and Tom Hammond is really the ultimate pro and I could listen to him call the tiddlywinks tourney in Upper Slobovia, Wisconsin and enjoy his announcing.
I'm glad you're enjoying Hammond. I wish I could say the same. Every time I've watched a figure skating broadcast on ABC, I've wished they would send Tom back to thoroughbred racing, where he's obviously more comfortable.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #316
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying Hammond. I wish I could say the same. Every time I've watched a figure skating broadcast on ABC, I've wished they would send Tom back to thoroughbred racing, where he's obviously more comfortable.
I just think he has a great voice for sports broadcasting, in whatever he does. I'm no expert in figure skating, but I don't think he is either. I think he does what he's supposed to do, tell us who's skating and get out of the way so that the experts can talk about the actual skating. I think he does that fine.

None of these guys are as good as the old ABC broadcasters from when I was a kid, Dick Button and Chris Schenkel (I think Jim McKay might have done a few figure skating broadcasts, but I remember Schenkel as the main guy). The color guys these days, be it Lapinksi and Weir or Hamilton and Bezic are WAY too prone to hyperbole and this "no skater can skate badly, ever" attitude. A skater will fall on her duff or miss a turn or whatever and its "didn't she look lovely doing it" or "this is her intro to the International scene, she'll be better next time". I remember Button telling it like it was more often than not.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #317
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
I just think he has a great voice for sports broadcasting, in whatever he does. I'm no expert in figure skating, but I don't think he is either. I think he does what he's supposed to do, tell us who's skating and get out of the way so that the experts can talk about the actual skating. I think he does that fine.

None of these guys are as good as the old ABC broadcasters from when I was a kid, Dick Button and Chris Schenkel (I think Jim McKay might have done a few figure skating broadcasts, but I remember Schenkel as the main guy). The color guys these days, be it Lapinksi and Weir or Hamilton and Bezic are WAY too prone to hyperbole and this "no skater can skate badly, ever" attitude. A skater will fall on her duff or miss a turn or whatever and its "didn't she look lovely doing it" or "this is her intro to the International scene, she'll be better next time". I remember Button telling it like it was more often than not.
That's what I like about Tara and Johnny...they aren't afraid to say, you know, that just wasn't good enough.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #318
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
That's what I like about Tara and Johnny...they aren't afraid to say, you know, that just wasn't good enough.
From what I watched of them, they do the same, "Oh isn't that lovely?" stuff for just about every skater. Maybe they are a bit more critical. I've long ago turned them off.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #319
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
I've been running this through my head all day, trying to get it to make sense.

Why do you care about the outfits that the announcers wear? They are rarely on camera.

I guess you should be glad that you weren't a tennis fan when Bud Collins was actively announcing.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #320
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I've been running this through my head all day, trying to get it to make sense.

Why do you care about the outfits that the announcers wear? They are rarely on camera.

I guess you should be glad that you weren't a tennis fan when Bud Collins was actively announcing.
I don't care about the outfits, but NBC does. That's my point. NBC gets buzz because a lot of people are talking about the outfits. And NBC, I'm sure knew that going in. There is a segment of people who tune in just to see what they are wearing today. Otherwise, I'll say again, what's the point of having two different crews announcing the same event?

As far as tennis, I have never been a tennis fan. I'm sure I've seen Bud Collins on TV, but I don't remember him wearing anything flamboyant. But, I can give you a hockey parallel. Don Cherry. Cherry does an in between periods segment on Hockey Night in Canada. People tune in for:

A) His outrageous suits:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...ts-of-all-time

B) His "old school" hockey talk - the guy still thinks hockey should be played as it was when he was coaching in the 70s.

But mostly the suits. And he's become a legend in Canada. Don't think CBC doesn't know that people tune in for the suits either.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #321
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
I don't care about the outfits, but NBC does. That's my point. NBC gets buzz because a lot of people are talking about the outfits. And NBC, I'm sure knew that going in. There is a segment of people who tune in just to see what they are wearing today. Otherwise, I'll say again, what's the point of having two different crews announcing the same event?

As far as tennis, I have never been a tennis fan. I'm sure I've seen Bud Collins on TV, but I don't remember him wearing anything flamboyant. But, I can give you a hockey parallel. Don Cherry. Cherry does an in between periods segment on Hockey Night in Canada. People tune in for:

A) His outrageous suits:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...ts-of-all-time

B) His "old school" hockey talk - the guy still thinks hockey should be played as it was when he was coaching in the 70s.

But mostly the suits. And he's become a legend in Canada. Don't think CBC doesn't know that people tune in for the suits either.
I think that they are using two crews to give Tara and Johnny a try without risking them bombing in primetime. It's a way to see if they've got what it takes, without risking that the evening broadcasts will be a nightmare.

Johnny and Tara are both very fashion forward people, and I do look forward to seeing what they'll wear. I think it's fun.

But if they were never shown on camera, ever, at all--if they were both announcing in jeans and plain white t-shirts--their coverage would still be much better than the primetime coverage. They are more critical, *much* less hysterical and they have really nice chemistry, both with each other and with Terry.

If I had to pick a crew, I'd totally pick the daytime crew.

Also, you should have clicked on my Bud Collins link above. But, I warn you...you can't unsee it.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #322
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I think that they are using two crews to give Tara and Johnny a try without risking them bombing in primetime. It's a way to see if they've got what it takes, without risking that the evening broadcasts will be a nightmare.

Johnny and Tara are both very fashion forward people, and I do look forward to seeing what they'll wear. I think it's fun.

But if they were never shown on camera, ever, at all--if they were both announcing in jeans and plain white t-shirts--their coverage would still be much better than the primetime coverage. They are more critical, *much* less hysterical and they have really nice chemistry, both with each other and with Terry.

If I had to pick a crew, I'd totally pick the daytime crew.

Also, you should have clicked on my Bud Collins link above. But, I warn you...you can't unsee it.
The Olympics is a pretty darn expensive testing ground!! They'd be much better off testing them on a Sunday afternoon skating meet or some such. Luckily for them the buzz for their suits and the fact that those who are fans, like yourself think they are doing a great job, so the test was successful.

I'm not critical of NBC, obviously they knew what they were doing. They know who their daytime audience is and why Johnny and Tara would attract them, and it worked. But I do wonder, if, as you say, they wore the typical NBC clothing, if it would have been as successful, or, if NBC would have bothered with two crews.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #323
Lori
Social Defective

Let me start with "it would have absolutely have been as successful" because the viewers who like Johnny and Tara care more about the content than the presentation.

Part of the test, though, might have been to see how Johnny "I'd be wearing a swan costume right now if they'd have let me" Weir would play in Peoria. I think he's fierce, and I love the way he plays with fashion and gender stereotypes. But maybe Grandmother June in Iowa would call the TV station and complain.

But I think that what they are seeing is that his commentary is excellent, and--for the most part--folks don't seem to care what he's wearing. I would be surprised if he isn't doing prime time broadcasts next time around.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #324
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
TBS, one of your junk channels, is number 1 in the 18-49 dem primarily because they show Big Bang Theory reruns.
Hmmm, interesting. I've never understood the re-run thing... I watch new episodes on TiVo, and I keep my torrented collection more or less up to date with several shows, including Big Bang Theory...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #325
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

If you've never understood the re-run thing why do you maintain a torrent collection?
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #326
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I always liked Tom Hammond and Ato Boldon covering track and field for the summer games. Tom DOES have a good voice and is a good "play by play" person. He gets pretty excited.

Last edited by jsmeeker : 02-21-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #327
mattack

Quote:
Here's a good article on how the Costas pieces are done:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/sp...er=rss&emc=rss
That was entertaining, but it mostly answers that the things are pre-taped, and not in order.. But is he still 'around' for hours and hours each day? I guess so. I'm not meaning to imply he's slacking around, but for someone who has only a relatively short period of time on air each night (according to that article), and they're pre-taped, seems like those segments could be done in an hour or two at most, including writing them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #328
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I agree with Lori about Johnny and Tara.

Here is a good piece from the New York Times. It addresses their work, plus the controversy over the scoring.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/22/sp...e-for-nbc.html

Old 02-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #329
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
I agree with Lori about Johnny and Tara.

Here is a good piece from the New York Times. It addresses their work, plus the controversy over the scoring.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/22/sp...e-for-nbc.html
Thanks for that article. It reinforces what I was saying to Steve about how Johnny and Tara have not been afraid to be critical.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #330
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Thanks for that article. It reinforces what I was saying to Steve about how Johnny and Tara have not been afraid to be critical.
They were both on with Costas last night, and tried to explain why they agreed with the Russian girl winning. I have to admit they made a convincing argument and were critical of the Korean for basically being too conservative.