TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #271
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
not always then. They didn't show the ceremony for the ice dancers. Did they hold it for "Today"??
It was the last thing they showed in prime time tonight. I think that's where they have usually shown them when they do.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #272
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

why > 24 hours later?

I don't recall such a lack of coverage of ceremonies in previous games, including London in 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #273
morac
Cat God

Quote:
why > 24 hours later? I don't recall such a lack of coverage of ceremonies in previous games, including London in 2012.
Probably trying to boost ratings for the local news and new Tonight Show.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #274
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Probably trying to boost ratings for the local news and new Tonight Show.
They didn't want to do that last night??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #275
randian

What happened to the women's short-track relay final? No-show on the scheduled broadcast. Naturally, it's not one of the endless repeats we've been subject to.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #276
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I think it's in late night

Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #277
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

What do you think of NBC repeating the exact same coverage in prime time that they showed during the day, either on NBC or one of their cable networks. I guess for most people who aren't home during the day, it's fine, but because of the weather and the holiday, I spent a lot of time at home, either working or off in the last week and having to spend my primetime viewing watching what I've already seen is disconcerting. I guess, since there are a lot less events in the Winter Olympics, it's a necessary evil, but still.

And I'm not talking about JUST the events they showed live, but some of the pre-recorded events, that they showed both in the afternoon and at night.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #278
cherry ghost

Not everything in Primetime is shown on an NBC channel. Some events are streamed only before being shown in Primetime.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #279
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Not everything in Primetime is shown on an NBC channel. Some events are streamed only before being shown in Primetime.
Of course not, but for someone like me, who's seen a lot of what they've shown already, there's big blocks of time where I am watching a rerun. Especially on nights where there's figure skating. I'm not particularly interested in figure skating so watching it twice is pretty boring. On a positive note, I've been able to catch up on some shows I recorded over the last couple of weeks
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #280
aindik

If you're recording the hockey with a TiVo wishlist, you might miss one of the games at noon ET today, since both are mistakenly listed as Semifinal Game 3 and so TiVo thinks they're duplicates.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #281
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
If you're recording the hockey with a TiVo wishlist, you might miss one of the games at noon ET today, since both are mistakenly listed as Semifinal Game 3 and so TiVo thinks they're duplicates.
Another problem I've found is that USA,Sport:Hockey wish lists won't pick up all the USA games even if USA is in the synopsis.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #282
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
why > 24 hours later?
All medal ceremonies (except for events on the last day) are at the outdoor Medal Ceremony area. Most ceremonies are the same day as the event, but figure skating ends at about 11:30 PM each night local time, so they hold the ceremony the following night.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #283
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
All medal ceremonies (except for events on the last day) are at the outdoor Medal Ceremony area. Most ceremonies are the same day as the event, but figure skating ends at about 11:30 PM each night local time, so they hold the ceremony the following night.
Which makes them anticlimactic and uninteresting to TV viewers.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #284
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Which makes them anticlimactic and uninteresting to TV viewers.
They're already anticlimactic by their very nature. It's not like we don't know the winners until they step on the podium. The only reason anyone cares about the medal ceremonies is to hear their national anthem played when someone from their country wins the gold and to see their flag hoisted up. So it really shouldn't matter when they show it. It's going to be the same whether it's 10 minutes after an event or 24 hours after.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #285
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

still, it seems that we see a lot fewer ceremonies than we have before. In the past, I recall NBC showing basically the full ceremony many times. Calling of each name, presentation of all the medals, then the anthem for Gold medal country.

As mentioned previously (not sure if this thread or another), I understand why they present some where they do, at a big venue so that many people can see it and cheer for the medalists. But why do it for events where they already have a large audience? (i.e. the figure skating).

I guess if the organizers in Sochi put a huge delay in, NBC can't do much about it. But they still should eventually show it and show a decent portion of it. Dunno why they stopped dong that.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #286
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Dude, with every post you lose little more credibility. First you've never heard of anything that airs on USA, one of the most popular channels on cable. Now you're saying that TBS, another of the most popular channels on cable is a "junk channel?" What next? Are you going to tell us that your favorite cable net is the Smithsonian Channel?
Favorite? Depends on whether it's basketball or other stuff. Basketball is on ESPN(x), SNY, CBSSports. Other than that, Discovery, Animal Planet, PBS, CC, MSNBC, HBO, an occasional network show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Looks like they are on the same tier of every other basic popular cable channel such as TNT, FX, History, MTV etc. etc.
That's expanded basic, not basic. Basic is mostly locals plus local access, plus a couple of other random channels, depending on the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
TNT? That's some junk channel showing reruns, right?

Junk.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #287
mattack

Quote:
Nothing is live in prime time.
Does Costas do his segments live? If not, how much earlier than the East Coast prime time are they recorded? Same question about the late night segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
What do you think of NBC repeating the exact same coverage in prime time that they showed during the day, either on NBC or one of their cable networks.
And I'm not talking about JUST the events they showed live, but some of the pre-recorded events, that they showed both in the afternoon and at night.
Can you give some examples? I admit I'm recording mostly the NBC specific broadcasts (they happen to have the events I'm interested in). I think I ran into this once, but I can't remember what one. I definitely don't remember seeing it happen multiple times.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #288
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Can you give some examples? I admit I'm recording mostly the NBC specific broadcasts (they happen to have the events I'm interested in). I think I ran into this once, but I can't remember what one. I definitely don't remember seeing it happen multiple times.

All of the ice skating has been shown live in the morning/early afternoon and then again in Primetime. I think Primetime is edited so that not all the skaters are shown.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #289
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
All of the ice skating has been shown live in the morning/early afternoon and then again in Primetime. I think Primetime is edited so that not all the skaters are shown.
Yes. Not even close to all of them. it's also broken up so that they show other events in-between groups of skaters.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 AM   #290
secondclaw

Quote:

As mentioned previously (not sure if this thread or another), I understand why they present some where they do, at a big venue so that many people can see it and cheer for the medalists. But why do it for events where they already have a large audience? (i.e. the figure skating).
So visitors to the Olympic park who don't have tickets to the event can still see the ceremony live. It's actually nicer that way, as people run and fill the medals plaza with different flags, etc. I'm in Sochi right now, as
a volunteer, and have been to a few medal awards. The atmosphere is nothing like you get sitting in a stadium. Plus, the lit cauldron behind the crowd, dancing fountain, and the lights create great ambiance, sure more festive than a somewhat clinical stadium.

Unfortunately, I wish they started the ceremony a bit later than 8:14pm, regardless of symbolism, as spectators who watched late events the mountains (like biathlon) will not make the park in time.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #291
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Favorite? Depends on whether it's basketball or other stuff. Basketball is on ESPN(x), SNY, CBSSports. Other than that, Discovery, Animal Planet, PBS, CC, MSNBC, HBO, an occasional network show.

That's expanded basic, not basic. Basic is mostly locals plus local access, plus a couple of other random channels, depending on the area.

Junk.
One person's junk is another person's enjoyable programming. And considering you have NO idea what's on those channels, you calling it junk has little credibility. It's obvious, by your channel choices that you really aren't into scripted shows, or even reality shows for that matter. That's fine.

BTW..basketball... junk sport
Old 02-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #292
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Does Costas do his segments live? If not, how much earlier than the East Coast prime time are they recorded? Same question about the late night segment.
Here's a good article on how the Costas pieces are done:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/sp...er=rss&emc=rss

Can you give some examples? I admit I'm recording mostly the NBC specific broadcasts (they happen to have the events I'm interested in). I think I ran into this once, but I can't remember what one. I definitely don't remember seeing it happen multiple times.[/quote]

Two examples that I recall off the top of my head are figure skating. They've been showing much of the competition live during the day and then showing it again at night. In this case, it's interesting that they use two totally different sets of announcers for the day and night broadcasts. And I know they've showed the "slide" sports tape delayed (and in some cases live) during the day, and then repeated them at night.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #293
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
BTW..basketball... junk sport
Basketball isn't a sport. It relies too much on the refs calling (or not calling) fouls.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #294
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondclaw View Post
So visitors to the Olympic park who don't have tickets to the event can still see the ceremony live. It's actually nicer that way, as people run and fill the medals plaza with different flags, etc. I'm in Sochi right now, as
a volunteer, and have been to a few medal awards. The atmosphere is nothing like you get sitting in a stadium. Plus, the lit cauldron behind the crowd, dancing fountain, and the lights create great ambiance, sure more festive than a somewhat clinical stadium.

Unfortunately, I wish they started the ceremony a bit later than 8:14pm, regardless of symbolism, as spectators who watched late events the mountains (like biathlon) will not make the park in time.
I have to say, I miss NBC showing the medal ceremony. They used to always close their coverage with a gold medal ceremony. For me, I like seeing the reaction of the athletes during the ceremony. And we've seen some classic reactions over the years. In 1980, the Captain of the hockey team accepted the medal for the team by tradition and stood on the podium. I can still see Mike Eruzione wave his whole team to the podium as the anthem played. I can see Tommie Smith and John Carlos give the Black Power salute during THEIR ceremony. And I'm sure there have been others that are very memorable. It seems a moment could be missed here.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #295
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I have to say, I miss NBC showing the medal ceremony. They used to always close their coverage with a gold medal ceremony. For me, I like seeing the reaction of the athletes during the ceremony. And we've seen some classic reactions over the years. In 1980, the Captain of the hockey team accepted the medal for the team by tradition and stood on the podium. I can still see Mike Eruzione wave his whole team to the podium as the anthem played. I can see Tommie Smith and John Carlos give the Black Power salute during THEIR ceremony. And I'm sure there have been others that are very memorable. It seems a moment could be missed here.
And all of those moments happened immediately after the event, right?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #296
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
In the case of hockey, yes. In the track and field case, I'm not sure.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #297
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

right.. It depends on the event. Seems like they are delaying almost everything a long time this year. I still don't understand really long delays. It's annoying.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #298
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Two examples that I recall off the top of my head are figure skating. They've been showing much of the competition live during the day and then showing it again at night. In this case, it's interesting that they use two totally different sets of announcers for the day and night broadcasts. And I know they've showed the "slide" sports tape delayed (and in some cases live) during the day, and then repeated them at night.
They have showed ALL of the skating live. Every single skate by every single person/couple/pair. All LIVE on real TV. You can watching it streaming too. I think if you watching it streaming, you get yet another announcer.

For Prime Time, you are right that a lot of stuff has been already shown. Obviously, skating. Sometimes, stuff like bobsled. Though the stuff they showed in prime time last night aired sometime during the day (don't think it was actually LIVE though) on some NBC channel.

I don't think I have seen much or any traditional alpine skiing outside of prime time.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #299
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Johnny and Tara seem to have gotten Terry Gannon into the fashion coordination. Been waiting for that.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #300
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
This isn't a new thing for Sochi. I know Salt Lake had a Medals Plaza in downtown SLC where the medal ceremonies were held each evening, and the only venue within ten miles of that location was the Delta Center where the figure skating was held.

I suspect, although I don't remember for sure, that many of the other Olympics host cities, both summer and winter, have done medal ceremonies in a central location as well.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, the Vancouver Games had two locations for awarding medals: One was up at Whistler where most of the skiing, snowboarding, bobsled, and luge events were located. The other was at BC Place, the large arena where the Opening and Closing Ceremonies were held.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 02-20-2014 at 11:15 AM.
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote