Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The Big Bang Theory [02/27/2014] - "The Table Polarization"

Now that Raj can speak in front of women he is getting a lot of good lines:
Bernadette: Have you guys ever thought about getting a dining room table?
Amy: Yeah. You actually do have room for one up there.
Raj: Oh, sure, I sit on the floor for years, no one cares. The pretty white girl's there ten seconds, and suddenly we're all running to Ikea.

ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
MLR930
Gamer Goddess

No mention of Raj's favorite brown wand? LOL

Herbalife Distributor and Wellness Coach
MLR930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
MikeMar
Go Pats

Pretty good ep, but felt a lot of the jokes just fell flat or could have been better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Agree that it was pretty good. Had some good chuckles, but overall, nothing too memorable.

I did like watching Amy manipulate Sheldon and the smirks on her face when she knows she got him.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was amused at the end when they all were sitting in the living room again. They should have hung on longer. A few more meals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
cannonz

Leonards imitation of Sheldon- I'm a big baby and I don't want a table.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Linnemir

I thought it fell flat overall. Both the husband and I were disappointed, but can't pinpoint why.
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir View Post
I thought it fell flat overall. Both the husband and I were disappointed, but can't pinpoint why.
I think mostly because it had two elements that were not real positive. One was the table - started out like a great idea but ended with Sheldon getting his way. And two was Howard and the NASA bit. I was excited and then felt bad for him when they had that sort of intervention to talk him out of it.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
jeff92k7

It just seemed out of character for Sheldon...they used him just to try to force the jokes that weren't all that funny.

Yes, Sheldon doesn't like change, but logic always prevails. After the train episode a few weeks ago to this one where he immediately wants to dump AFF just seemed forced. Also, what's up with his resistance to the table. He of all people should know that it's more hygenic (tables can be cleaned more easily), better posture which promotes better digestion, among other reasons. Him not wanting the table just because of the change was just ridiculous.

They mentioned a few of the things he's changed over the years. To add to that, he shared an office with Raj for a while (big change), then moved to a new office (another big change), hired an assistant (now sharing his important work - really big change), and so on and so on. Logic always prevails with him.

Though, I did like that he had several thousand updates for Windows 98.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
pahunt

Clearly in a minority but I thought this was one of the best episodes for a while. Story wasn't perfect but there were some great lines with Leonard's translation of Sheldon for Penny just eclipsing Raj's brown wand!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
smak
TV MA SLV

Why didn't Raj move the dining room chair to the living room so he didn't have to sit on the floor?

-smak-
smak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
It just seemed out of character for Sheldon...they used him just to try to force the jokes that weren't all that funny. Yes, Sheldon doesn't like change, but logic always prevails. After the train episode a few weeks ago to this one where he immediately wants to dump AFF just seemed forced. Also, what's up with his resistance to the table. He of all people should know that it's more hygenic (tables can be cleaned more easily), better posture which promotes better digestion, among other reasons. Him not wanting the table just because of the change was just ridiculous. They mentioned a few of the things he's changed over the years. To add to that, he shared an office with Raj for a while (big change), then moved to a new office (another big change), hired an assistant (now sharing his important work - really big change), and so on and so on. Logic always prevails with him. Though, I did like that he had several thousand updates for Windows 98.
The one change he has never come close to accepting is moving from his spot. The second hardest change for him is eating habits. Put the two together and you have full resistance.

In a bigger view, I never understand people trying to use logic on fictional characters. They may be fictional but they can be as illogical as real people.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Why didn't Raj move the dining room chair to the living room so he didn't have to sit on the floor? -smak-
Because Raj is the house puppy. Despite his complaining about sitting on the floor, he is comfortable with being part of the gang. That comfort in this case is sitting on the floor with his friends eating. He'd be quite happy with all if them at the table, but once they returned to the old pattern, he fell into his old role.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
The one change he has never come close to accepting is moving from his spot. The second hardest change for him is eating habits. Put the two together and you have full resistance.
Fair enough.

Quote:
In a bigger view, I never understand people trying to use logic on fictional characters. They may be fictional but they can be as illogical as real people.
Well what I was trying to say wasn't so much about applying logic to the character. It was more that this character seems to apply logic himself. Sheldon has an overwhelming bend towards the logical in most of his decisions. I'm thinking of all the comments in past episodes relating to Spock and Logic that Sheldon (or the character) so clearly holds to.

But, you are correct, logic seems to disappear when it comes to giving up his spot.

Side note: Penny also didn't seem as drunk or felonious in this episode.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I think mostly because it had two elements that were not real positive. One was the table - started out like a great idea but ended with Sheldon getting his way. And two was Howard and the NASA bit. I was excited and then felt bad for him when they had that sort of intervention to talk him out of it.
I liked the episode overall, but I agree that those two items were problematic. It really bothered me that they gave in to Sheldon so easily.

So I wonder if the set will return to normal in future episodes, or if the dining room table will stay.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
It's not logic, it's consistency.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #17
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
when it comes to behavior, sheldon is consistently illogical

there was that time Penny stayed over and made french toast and sheldon got all upset

sheldon had the plate of french toast right in his hands, he even commented on how good it smelled

then he threw it straight into the garbage because but it was oatmeal day,
and you can't have french toast on oatmeal day

where is the logic in that ?

sheldon is consistently self-centered, stuck in his ways and indifferent to the needs and feelings of others
and he is best when he's written this way

it is totally out of character of for him to act any other way

I thought it was great when he finally realized being with Amy was changing him
and it was totally in character for him to want to break up with her when he realized that

it was also great how everyone else called him out on his illogical behavior when they brought up "his spot" on the couch that only existed because Leonard bought it and why that change was good but this new one was bad

and then it was great to see sheldon's momentary confusion when he was caught between his inability to change, his need to always be right and the logic of the situation

and finally, it was great to see Amy step in and manipulate him

this show has become just another version of "Friends"
I want to see it go back to its roots
jamesl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #18
TonyD79

Quote:
Fair enough. Well what I was trying to say wasn't so much about applying logic to the character. It was more that this character seems to apply logic himself. Sheldon has an overwhelming bend towards the logical in most of his decisions. I'm thinking of all the comments in past episodes relating to Spock and Logic that Sheldon (or the character) so clearly holds to. But, you are correct, logic seems to disappear when it comes to giving up his spot. Side note: Penny also didn't seem as drunk or felonious in this episode.
He may think he is logical but he isn't. His logic is mostly based on comfort and fear.

However, to himself, he thinks his spot is totally logical. It is based upon temperature and a bunch of other factors. He explained it a long time ago.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Since when are people consistent? I laugh with my friends all the time about our inconsistencies in opinions, tastes and choices.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #20
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
I did like watching Amy manipulate Sheldon and the smirks on her face when she knows she got him.
I loved the end where she admits she got cocky..
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #21
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I liked the episode overall, but I agree that those two items were problematic. It really bothered me that they gave in to Sheldon so easily.

So I wonder if the set will return to normal in future episodes, or if the dining room table will stay.
The table may stay but I suspect that if it does, they won't be seen using it much.
I believe that in a three camera production, they prefer to have the actors spend most of their time in the front of the stage and the new table is in the back of the stage while the sofa area is front and center.

Count me as disappointed that they gave in to Sheldon as well, even though I had suspected that they would ultimately not change.

Still, the episode was very funny.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I really loved the episode. There were some great lines. I especially liked it when Bernadette said " Can I at least shower first?' and the other lines concerning sex back and forth in that segment.

I was kinda surprised that Sheldon and Amy didn't do any more kissing or at least more mention of it than what Penny did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahunt View Post
Clearly in a minority but I thought this was one of the best episodes for a while. Story wasn't perfect but there were some great lines with Leonard's translation of Sheldon for Penny just eclipsing Raj's brown wand!
Rajs' brown wand comment was great.

Quote:

Sheldon thinks himself as Spock who is totally logical. That is what Sheldon wants to be, but Sheldon can't stand any kind of change, so of course that is illogical. So it is a ongoing battle within Sheldon. I enjoy the battle. It mirrors all of our battles within as humans. Logic says we should buy the car that is reliable, high gas mileage, and low price. But we really want the one that looks great, goes fast, and is too expensive for our budget.

Quote:
Because Raj is the house puppy. Despite his complaining about sitting on the floor, he is comfortable with being part of the gang. That comfort in this case is sitting on the floor with his friends eating. He'd be quite happy with all if them at the table, but once they returned to the old pattern, he fell into his old role.
"house puppy"
That name or description does fit him. He is kinda desperate and wants to fit in.

Quote:
Side note: Penny also didn't seem as drunk or felonious in this episode.
I don't find 'drunk Penny' funny at all. I was glad she didn't show up this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post

and then it was great to see sheldon's momentary confusion when he was caught between his inability to change, his need to always be right and the logic of the situation
I think we have all been there. You can't help but hate someone that leads you to that terrible trough to drink from.

I loved it when Amy said 'Yes, I would like to take a survey' when she was getting ready to end her relationship on Sheldons' Ipad.

Last edited by replaytv : 03-02-2014 at 02:26 AM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:22 AM   #23
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

My favorite quotes-

-Sheldon: I can't talk right now. I have several thousand updates to install.(for Windows 98 )

-Amy: I'm not surprised you want to end the relationship. I'm a little surprised you didn't get AppleCare

-Amy: You don't need to explain yourself to him.
Sheldon: (To Leonard) I don't need to explain myself to you!
Amy: You're sick of his nonsense and you're ready to move in with me.
Sheldon: (To Leonard) Keep the table. We don't use that space.
Amy: Damn it. I got cocky.

-Sheldon: I've changed. Like the frog who's put in a pot of water that's heated so gradually, he doesn't realize he's boiling to death.
Penny: Or you're the frog who's been kissed by the princess and turned into a prince.
Leonard: Or you're just a tall, annoying frog.

-Sheldon: (talking to Penny about what she had done to Leonard ) I have spent years turning this lump of clay in to an acceptable conduit for my will. Then you came along and reshaped him with your new fangled ideas and fancy genitals.

-Sheldon:Chaos theory suggests that even in a deterministic system the tiniest modification in one’s behavior or surroundings could have a dramatic, unforeseen impact, so it’s best to keep things exactly the same for as long as possible. ( that isn't actual what he said, but good enough for me. )

Last edited by replaytv : 03-02-2014 at 06:39 PM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
I thought it was great when...

it was also great how...

and then it was great to see...

and finally, it was great to see...

this show has become just another version of "Friends"
I want to see it go back to its roots
Yeah, sounds like you really dislike it now.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #25
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
My favorite quotes-

-Sheldon: I can't talk right now. I have several thousand updates to install.(for Windows 98 )
Thought I'd come back to add...

That Windows 98 machine had to be moved in just for this episode even if it was put in place at the beginning of the season to set up this joke well ahead of time.

I was watching a rerun from Season 4 last night and there was very clearly a recent model iMac in that spot.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Thought I'd come back to add...

That Windows 98 machine had to be moved in just for this episode even if it was put in place at the beginning of the season to set up this joke well ahead of time.

I was watching a rerun from Season 4 last night and there was very clearly a recent model iMac in that spot.
At one point, I want to say a couple seasons ago, the computer they'd had in that spot for years (disconnected) disappeared. (I have a vauge thought there might have been a plot line about it getting stolen; but I know I noticed it go missing)

But I don't know if that was before or after the season 4 episode you were watching.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #27
jeff92k7

that was "The Bozeman Reaction" Season 3 Episode 13. This was a season 4 episode that I saw, so the robbery occurred before the episode I saw. The one I watched last night with the iMac in the background was Season 4 episode 7 "The Apology Insufficiency" where Sheldon inadvertently ruins Howard's chances at a security clearance for government work.

But you could be right, there could have been other episodes where the computer disappeared.

My point was simply that the Windows 98 computer hadn't been there since Windows 98 days (1998-2001). It's really not relevant, but just a tangent about how it's just a TV show and how they set up for jokes even if they aren't consistent with their own show history.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #28
eddyj

I just assumed Sheldon had dragged an old computer from the closet to put there. Didn't notice if the computer was there earlier. Don't care either.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The table may stay but I suspect that if it does, they won't be seen using it much.
I believe that in a three camera production, they prefer to have the actors spend most of their time in the front of the stage and the new table is in the back of the stage while the sofa area is front and center.
Exactly. One of the conventions for the series is them around the couch often times eating. It would be like getting rid of the Central Perk in Friends or the luncheonette in Seinfeld. You can't change the environment/habitat that dramatically. It's part of the DNA of the show.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #30
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Exactly. One of the conventions for the series is them around the couch often times eating. It would be like getting rid of the Central Perk in Friends or the luncheonette in Seinfeld. You can't change the environment/habitat that dramatically. It's part of the DNA of the show.
Not to mention, that portion of the set is both awkward to shoot and difficult for the "laugh track" () to see.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote