TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
jenz

Release IP

How do I force the roamio to release its IP address and get a new one from the router? I changed my router lease time and turned off the TiVo for a longer period (so the router stopped holding that IP for the TiVo), but the roamio pulled the old IP when powered back on.
jenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

Force a new one with the DHCP reservation pool from the router. Maybe set the DHCP range in the router to omit the one currently used.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
jenz

Perfect, I did not think about limiting the pool to force its hand
jenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I suggest setting an IP address that is static (non-changing) as opposed to dynamic (changes everything it logs in) from your router.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
kdmorse

FYI: The tivo (as will most linux systems) remembers it's last lease across reboots. When it comes up, instead of doing a DISCOVER (tell me what I should use) - it first does a REQUEST (may I have this address please?) for the last address it had. Only if that REQUEST is ignored, or more appropriately NAKed, will it then go back to DISCOVER.

This is normally a good thing, as for as long as that lease is available, the Tivo will tend to come back up at the same address, even if the lease has expired. (If the address has been given to someone else in the meanwhile, the DHCP server will respond with a NAK, forcing a full DISCOVER).

In the cases where you want to shake the tivo off of that address, it can be annoying, and dhcp sever specific. You need to get the dhcp server to say NO when the tivo comes up asking if it may use that address again. (Block it, reserve it for another mac, change the dhcp pool range, etc...)
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
I recently had this problem that the Tivo wouldn't give up it's duplicate IP. I just plugged in an old wi-fi router, joined the Tivo to that, then put it back on the regular wi-fi. That had the effect of convincing it to politely request a new IP.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote