TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
AWT

I have the "no sound" problem

Has anyone worked out a fix for this "no sound" after a reboot?

I had to swap a failing HDD last weekend so I replaced the Samsung 400GB with a Seagate 500GB. My Tivo also has a 512MB Cache card.

Prior to the Seagate, a warm boot would fix it. With the Seagate, even after a few warm boots there's still no sound.

Here's a snip of the kernel.log:
Code:
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: I2C arbitration error at address 0x88. 
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) last message repeated 2 times
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: error reading MSP HW ver. 
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: MajorRevCode Version 0x0 
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: I2C arbitration error at address 0x88. 
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: error reading ROM ver. 
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: ROM Version 0x0 
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: ProductCode = 0x0 
Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: *** Unknown MSP product!!! ***0x0
Any ideas, please?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Try increasing the voltage on the 5V line by turning the blue pot on the PSU clockwise a few degrees. If you have a multimeter you can measure it via the spare molex from the unused drive and take it up to about 5.3V max.
blindlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
AWT

Thanks blindlemon, that appears to have done the trick.

The +5v supply was at 5.02v and I adjusted it to 5.25v - I wasn't brave enough to go as far as 5.3v! The +12v supply was at 11.86v and I think it ended up at 12.3v.

It still needed a warm boot to get sound working but I'm just happy (and grateful) to leave matters there.

Incidentally, ISTR seeing someone advertising a Cachecard with new Silicondust software that cures sound problems. Does anyone have any more info on that?

Edit: D'oh, found it http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm

Now shipping CacheCard firmware version 2.2!
Changes between firmware rev 2.0 and rev 2.2:
- Eliminates the problem of loosing sound and/or video on some SA TiVo's.
- Eliminates voltage sag measured on some TiVo's.

Is there a user upgrade to version 2.2?

Last edited by AWT : 10-15-2007 at 04:54 PM.
AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Good stuff

When did you get your cachecard? The 2.2 firmware fix came out a couple of years ago at least so you probably already have it....
Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
AWT

I bought it 2nd user about a year ago from a US seller on eBay. ISTR the date string on the splash screen at boot having "2005" in it.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
qwiki
8 R/C's and counting

I've had the no-sound problem for years and didn't relalise there was a fix until I found this old thread recently.

My cachecard has v2.0 in the lettering as part of the PCB trace and a white sticker saying v2.2 on it. The card was imported from 9th Tee many years ago by myself.

Today, I had the Tivo in bits to replace the 512MB memory module, which had failed some time ago. The new module works fine btw, but while I had the case open, I thought I'd try this fix for the audio.

The 5v line was showing 5.02v on the spare drive connector. So I turned it up to in increments (5.15v, 5.20v, 5.25v and finally 5.3v) and rebooted each time. Every time I had no audio from a cold boot and in the final 5.3v setting doing a warm restart failed to bring the audio back, even after 5 consecutive warm restarts. So, I set the voltage back down to 5.02v, cold booted and again got no audio (as expected) then warm restarted and back it came just like it always used to. I tried this sequence of cold and warm boots a second time and it was repeatable - no worse than before todays procedings, so on went the case and thats how I've left it.

Any suggestions as to how I might go about fixing this anoyance permanently?

Thanks in advance.
qwiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiki View Post
I've had the no-sound problem for years and didn't relalise there was a fix until I found this old thread recently.

My cachecard has v2.0 in the lettering as part of the PCB trace and a white sticker saying v2.2 on it. The card was imported from 9th Tee many years ago by myself.

Today, I had the Tivo in bits to replace the 512MB memory module, which had failed some time ago. The new module works fine btw, but while I had the case open, I thought I'd try this fix for the audio.

The 5v line was showing 5.02v on the spare drive connector. So I turned it up to in increments (5.15v, 5.20v, 5.25v and finally 5.3v) and rebooted each time. Every time I had no audio from a cold boot and in the final 5.3v setting doing a warm restart failed to bring the audio back, even after 5 consecutive warm restarts. So, I set the voltage back down to 5.02v, cold booted and again got no audio (as expected) then warm restarted and back it came just like it always used to. I tried this sequence of cold and warm boots a second time and it was repeatable - no worse than before todays procedings, so on went the case and thats how I've left it.

Any suggestions as to how I might go about fixing this anoyance permanently?

Thanks in advance.
I think it was all down to a unstable 5volts at power on, for a few hundred microseconds, this caused the sound chip not to initilise, hang on power up?????

If you can get your hands on a new PSU, or try a friends, that appears to fix the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Media PC -> Xbox 360, DM800HD
Pioneer 505XDE (Still the best)
6022tivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
qwiki
8 R/C's and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6022tivo View Post
I think it was all down to a unstable 5volts at power on, for a few hundred microseconds, this caused the sound chip not to initilise, hang on power up?????

If you can get your hands on a new PSU, or try a friends, that appears to fix the problem.
Thanks for that.

Are new PSU's built to a different (higher?) spec, or is it just the internal tolerences that vary slightly between them which 'might' cure it?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

PSUs degrade as they get older and the big smoothing capacitors dry out. Eventually they go out of tolerance and/or get flaky and die. This happens a lot faster when they are in use 24x7 in a hot TiVo than in storage.

The new PSUs available from various sources are all new, unused stock from the original Series 1 manufacturing run, so they're a few years old but have never been used. They are therefore much more likely to be within tolerance than the one that's been in your TiVo for the last 5-7 years or so.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
qwiki
8 R/C's and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindlemon View Post
PSUs degrade as they get older and the big smoothing capacitors dry out. Eventually they go out of tolerance and/or get flaky and die. This happens a lot faster when they are in use 24x7 in a hot TiVo than in storage.

The new PSUs available from various sources are all new, unused stock from the original Series 1 manufacturing run, so they're a few years old but have never been used. They are therefore much more likely to be within tolerance than the one that's been in your TiVo for the last 5-7 years or so.
Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I guess I'll buy a new one shortly and give it a try. Can't hurt to have a spare anyway.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Milhouse

Somethings not right in this thread... where's Pete?
Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
6022tivo
A Happy Member

He has gone out for new year.. Yes, thats right.. I said gone out!!!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Media PC -> Xbox 360, DM800HD
Pioneer 505XDE (Still the best)
6022tivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #13
Automan
Ex TiVo User

If one has a spare Tivo PSU or two would it be worth replacing the main large electrolytic capacitors with new ones and if space permits ones that can hold a greater charge?

Automan.
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #14
mikeyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automan View Post
If one has a spare Tivo PSU or two would it be worth replacing the main large electrolytic capacitors with new ones and if space permits ones that can hold a greater charge?

Automan.
and would it not be possible to use capacitors of higher quality so they would last longer?
mikeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
and would it not be possible to use capacitors of higher quality so they would last longer?
I looked into doing this but....

- A new PSU was only 12
- You need to get 105C rated capacitors (long life), as well as higher voltage if you can, which are often physically different (bigger) than normal 85C capacitors (definition of life varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but can be as short as 1000hours to 30% capacity reduction @ 85C and full voltage and specified ripple current, with doubling of life for each 10C reduction, doubling of life for halving of applied voltage and reducing ripple current).
- Also some of the capacitors are clearly not standard electrolytic capacitors, there are low ESR type (equivalent series resistance) and the ESR could be an important design value. I have heard of people replacing capacitors on PSUs and the capacitors exploding as they got too low an ESR (as they thought that would be better) and in fact the value of the ESR was part of the design.
Ian_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Greyhawk68

Arrow I may have the same problem I think...

Hey guys,

I have the no sound problem on a Series II. I only get the TiVo chirps and menu sounds, but no sounds from recorded programs or promotional ads from TiVo. Is this indicative of the problems you guys have outlined here in the thread?

Also, as a person with ZERO ability to rip apart my TiVo and solder pieces in place, is there anything I can do, or is this puppy set for the graveyard?

Thanks for the help,
Grey
Greyhawk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
Milhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk68 View Post
Hey guys,

I have the no sound problem on a Series II. I only get the TiVo chirps and menu sounds, but no sounds from recorded programs or promotional ads from TiVo. Is this indicative of the problems you guys have outlined here in the thread?

Also, as a person with ZERO ability to rip apart my TiVo and solder pieces in place, is there anything I can do, or is this puppy set for the graveyard?

Thanks for the help,
Grey
You might want to ask this question in one of the US forums - you've posted in the UK forum where TiVo only ever released Series 1 hardware so we have very little experience of Series 2 hardware in this country.
Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Podwin

Hi I think I've found the answer to my problem, but I'd like to explain it because it's wierd.

I can hear Tivo's blips when using the remote. I can also hear sound from recorded programs.

I can hear sound when viewing the Sagem Freeview box via AUX, but when watching live TV in the normal Tivo manner there is no sound, yet the blips are heard when using the remote as I've mentioned.

Is this the same problem?

Martin
Podwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #19
Podwin

Hi

A warm reboot does fix it so it must be it, where can I get new PSUs from?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Yes, that's definitely the normal "no sound" problem

Don't expect a new PSU to 100% cure it though, as the problem can persist even after replacing the PSU. If you have a large drive with a cachecard it seems more likely to happen too, so the fault may not all be with your PSU.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #21
cyril

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindlemon View Post
Yes, that's definitely the normal "no sound" problem

Don't expect a new PSU to 100% cure it though, as the problem can persist even after replacing the PSU. If you have a large drive with a cachecard it seems more likely to happen too, so the fault may not all be with your PSU.
I have large drives and cachecards so anyone know of a higher rated replacement PSU?
Alternatively I could use a seperate PSU to power the hard drive on its own. Any thoughts?

It's not a big deal as I only need to reboot every few years
Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #22
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

You could use any standard PC PSU for the drives, just make sure you have a common ground between the two.
I.e. 0V is the same on both.

A wire from PSU metal case to tivo metal case should be enough.

Not sure how this affects the sound problem, as I don't have a tivo with that problem to test
mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #23
geekspeak

Regarding the power supply issue and ability to tweak the output has anyone considered or tested this to try and resolve the mode 0 white flashes issue?
geekspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #24
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Nice idea, but I think we can safely say that mode0 flashes are unrelated to voltage (stability) levels.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #25
Podwin

Hi, I've got 2 HDs and a cachecard, so it's not unexpected then!

Funny it's never happened to me before.

Still be nice to have a spare PSU on the shelf though.

Martin
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #26
Automan
Ex TiVo User

If you do try an alternate psu make sure it is Energy Star 4 complaint which means it must be 80%+ efficient.

Make your TiVo green

Automan.
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
qwiki
8 R/C's and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
...Alternatively I could use a seperate PSU to power the hard drive on its own. Any thoughts?
I like the idea of this. I've tried a new PSU to cure the problem on mine, but I was unsuccessful (still, nice to have a spare PSU for a rainy day )

I was just thinking that I've got one of those external USB HDD adapters that you connect 2.5" or 3.5" drives to outside of the case for test purposes. It comes with a PSU for powering the larger 3.5" drives which has got the right molex connector and it's really small - ideal to mount inside the tivo, then tap a mains feed off the back of the PSU socket.

Hmmm? ... I'm liking this more and more.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #28
randap
Only a TiVo will do.

I've just replaced my Samsung 300GB drive with a new Hitachi 320GB drive, and now I'm getting no sound on reboot, even with the voltage upped to 5.3V.

I should have a new PSU to test soon, but I'm wondering if I should put my Samsung back in......

EDIT: OK, put the Samsung back in and sound is OK...... could this be drive related? Does the Hitachi need more juice? I might have the take the drives back - "Reason for return please sir?", "They don't work in my TiVo", "Hu?".....

Last edited by randap : 03-25-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Updated
randap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #29
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

This is quite common and is sometimes improved by a new PSU but not always. Some drives just pull too much power at startup.

The safest option (if you're really paranoid about it) is to write a script that executes after every other reboot and forces another reboot. This will mean that after every power-on the TiVo will do one soft reboot which should fix the sound if it was missing. If it reboots again for any reason, it will do so twice, but that's something you will have to live with unless you can figure out how to detect that the TiVo has been powered-on rather than soft-rebooted.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #30
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Does it always show "Unknown MSP product" in the log if it is booting without sound ?
I think it does, so a script would just need to for that and then reboot.