TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #61
jgametest

Some activity on Plex Forums

Went digging in the support forums and I found this link.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...or-tivo-html5/

there is a voting section for the team to work on projects with the most votes. I tried clicking on it, but since I'm not a Plex Pass subscriber I was not allowed access

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php...tvs-tivo-more/

jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #62
ntlord

Yea, the plexpass thread just has a bunch of people requesting it, nobody is actually trying to do anything about it. I think it's fair to say that we (in this thread) have gotten the furthest. The good news is that because the Tivo supports MPEG-DASH, it should be possible, which is better than we were before when we thought it was going to be impossible because of lack of HLS support. The problem is that it is going to take a lot of work because Plex outputs what is in-effect a proprietary MPD file (containing those variables I mentioned earlier).

For this to work, somebody would have to write some Javascript to parse the proprietary MPD file, fill in the proper variables and make the calls to get the individual chunks. The rest can then be handled by passing the chunks to the MediaSource API. The Plex javascript for chromecast I posted earlier, already does all of this but it is obsfucated so its not easy to figure out how. Nevertheless, if somebody were good with Javascript they could probably repurpose the Chromecast javascript.

My problem is that I'm no longer a developer, and my skills are pretty rusty. Further, work is going to become pretty busy for me over the next 3-months, and therefore I don't have the considerable time (given my rusty programming skills) it would take for me to make this happen. Although, I believe there is enough information in this thread to give someone else the tools needed to make this happen.
ntlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #63
jgametest

Wink Perhaps switch directions

Do you think our outcome would be more interesting if we tried to launch this as an open request from Kickstarter? It seems if the reason is enough and has a big fan base things happen. Look at the results of the Veronica Mars Movie or products that launched from it.

Perhaps we could make a plea to any or all willing participants to donate either time or funds to get this idea off the ground. It seems like all though our hearts are in the right place we are against a few factors (Time and Money).

https://www.kickstarter.com/
Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #64
bradleys
It'll be fine....

TiVo doesn't have nearly that kind of user base to support a Kickstarter program...

And frankly, I do not think you would like the end product anyway of these video / audio limitations cannot be overcome.

I will continue to use PyTiVo to transfer content from my library - and if I get really tired of that lutdated solution, I will pick up a cheap Chromecast.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #65
jgametest

very true

I'm thinking I am close to declaring defeat. We have 5 days before our cable is cut off. Wife has been recording as much as possible for the kids (shows) that are not available on Hulu or Netflix. It's funny since I have been searching so much on Amazon for Chromecast and Roku in Bing, this is all the ad's that hit my browser on my laptop. Now my inquiry nags me trying to appeal for an answer. That's what I call aggressive advertising.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #66
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo, lutdated? Pshaw, I say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #67
ntlord

Again, I reiterate that it this is almost certainly possible. There shouldn't be any video limitations, but it's possible that we can only achieve 2.0 audio.

For me, it's not about the money, so a kickstarter doesn't mean anything. I truly don't have the time.

If someone could convince the Plex devels, to let us have a look at the chromecast JavaScript unobsfucated, then it may be more achievable in the short term.
ntlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #68
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
pyTivo, lutdated? Pshaw, I say.
Interesting typo...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #69
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Interesting typo...
I just copied it from your post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #70
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I just copied it from your post.
I know - I was talking about "my" interesting typo. And my intention wasn't to offend, I have been using PyTiVo for years...

OTOH, the only SD menu that ticks me off is the "My Videos" share, and I can't watch videos from my library on my Minis...

I use the PyTiVo shares a lot!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)