TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 AM   #31
polar_vortex

Channel Master DVR+ is the Bee's Knees

I just got mine today and hooked it up to my Samsung Smart TV. I connected an Ethernet cable from my ClearSpot Hub for the Internet and hung on a WD Passport 1TB USB drive. I live in Fremont, CA and get all the SF Bay Area OTA channels with an indoor amplified antenna.

I just pulled the plug on Dish, too much for too little. This CHM DVR+ displays a program guide and allows future recording choices and on the air rewinds very much like the Dish DVR did. The picture quality is fantastic, it allows 1080p and 720 to come through. Wow. I'm very pleased with this, my previous OTA DVR experiences were not good.

The DVR+ comes with built in VUDU, but my Samsung Smart TV comes with built in Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Time, HuLu+, and will play MP4 videos on a USB flash drive plugged in back.

Back with more later, right now I'm anxious to watch the TONIGHT SHOW I recorded in 1080p.
polar_vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #32
Chris Gerhard

I always read about these new rudimentary DVRs, I like competition even though there is a superior product available for the market already and I know the new competition won't really be competition. I would buy a used TiVo Premiere with lifetime service at about the same price before buying this, primarily because the TiVo DVR software is so much better, more sophisticated and reliable. I would also buy a new Roamio at a premium before buying this.

The market for this product is one that doesn't really understand the difference between TiVo and a simple DVR, to avoid the hated monthly fees. I hate monthly fees also but I don't see how anybody making a comparison between this Channel Master DVR and TiVo could decide to buy Channel Master instead of TiVo with lifetime.

I am using a PC with attached USB hard drive and PlayLater DVR software, once in a while I get a failed recording and I believe the reason is often the USB connection. MediaMall, the company selling the software has stated USB drives are not recommended and suggests internal drives should be used. I have no technical knowledge about connection types and shortcomings but based on my experience, I think internal SATA or IDE drives or eSATA connection for external drives is preferred. With PlayLater, I just reschedule the recording, it is still available but with this Channel Master DVR and live TV, a missed recording is a bigger problem.

Anybody with a better technical understanding of connections think USB is a poor choice for DVR storage? I do welcome the competition of course, even though I have no interest, I am part of the target market, a cord cutter using OTA DVRs. I am a long time part of that market and have looked at the previous Channel Master DVRs and others.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #33
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_vortex View Post
Back with more later, right now I'm anxious to watch the TONIGHT SHOW I recorded in 1080p.
There is *NO* OTA programming in 1080p. NBC and CBS broadcast in 1080i, ABC and FOX broadcast in 720p. Not sure what that DVR is telling you to make you think otherwise.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #34
atmuscarella

It would be interesting to know how this DVR's OTA reception is compared to the various TiVo and non TiVo options out there. Unfortunately the only way to really know how the reception compares is to have all the DVRs in one place that has marginal reception and/or the common reception issues and test them off the same line.

The reality is there are getting to be a good number of options for OTA, which is a really good thing. I would love someone to do a large scale comparison but I do not think it is going to happen.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #35
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@polar_vortex,

How well can record by name mimic season passes? If the same show airs on two or more stations you receive, can you set it to only record from one station (to avoid recording duplicate episodes)? If the same episode has repeated airings, can you prevent duplicate recordings, or at least have the repeat recording overwrite the previous duplicate?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #36
bobsaccount

Dtv+

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
The cable companies won't like this much at all, that's like 2 or 3 months cable bill for a lot of people, and then you're done.

The two weaknesses I see are the lack of Netflix and other similar hooks and the limited tuners. The article says you can watch one show while recording one other, even on a two tuner TiVo you can record two shows while watching a third.

The USB interface to the probable external hard drive is a choke point and will be a major engineering weakness.

Still, it sounds like a fun toy for TV/DVR lovers. I bet it will be a hit.
Hook the TV antenna to the single RF input. Record two shows. Use a splitter and your TV's tuner to watch a third program while recording.
It's a connected unit. Doesn't have Netflix YET. Netflix is hardly difficult to get to. Roku anyone?
USB hard drives have more than enough speed for HDTV.
Oh. And the program guide? FREE!

Last edited by bobsaccount : 01-08-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added stinger
bobsaccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #37
bobsaccount

Free Program Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Terrible, PSIP is at best usually less than 24 hours of data and is often wildly inaccurate. The OTA stations generally don't give a crap about it (because few people use it), so you'd be better off doing manual recordings VCR-style rather than rely on this.

It's all YMMV based on area and station of course, but IMO you have to have internet guide to make this functional as a real DVR, not a glorified VCR.
The DVR+ plus does indeed have an internet based program grid, And it's Free. It only uses PSIP for a backup.

Last edited by bobsaccount : 01-08-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: better
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #38
bobsaccount

Season Pass Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Hey this is a Tivo forum! Real DVR's do season passes.

Just out of curiosity, how many other (so-called) DVR's do SP's? Do the cable co boxes do them?

The DVR+ does text/title-based recording. Not quite a SP, but real close.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #39
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaccount View Post
The DVR+ plus does indeed have an internet based program grid, And it's Free. It only uses PSIP for a backup.
Quote:
The DVR+ does text/title-based recording. Not quite a SP, but real close.
This is deja vu all over again (covered earlier in this thread).

and
Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #40
Aero 1

posted this over at AVS, interesting. competition is a good thing.

Channel Master is developing a whole-home DVR solution for cord cutters

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/08/channel...plus-extender/

Quote:
Channel Master wants its new DVR+ to be the TiVo of people who don’t like to pay TiVo’s fees – and now, it’s developing whole-home DVR functionality as well.

Channel Master, known for its over-the-air TV antennas as well as some early digital video recorders that go along with these antennas, started shipping its new DVR+ this week — and the company is already looking to bring additional functionality to the device. Channel Master EVP Joe Bingochea told me at the CES in Las Vegas Wednesday that his company is looking to introduce a small companion device in the next few months that will turn the DVR+ into a whole-home digital video recorder.

Channel Master sells its new DVR+ for $250. For that price, consumers get a pretty neat box with a very clean design as well as a programming guide — something for that TiVo charges around $15 per month, depending on the individual plan.

However, the device also has its downsides. It only comes with 16 GB of onboard storage, which means that consumers have to connect an external hard drive to record more than a handful of TV show episodes. It also doesn’t support Wifi, and instead offers an Ethernet port and the option to buy an extra wireless adapter. And at least for now, the DVR+ only comes with one streaming app — Vudu — but Bingochea said that others will follow soon.

Channel Master has been positioning the device as a solution for consumer that don’t want to pay any monthly fees at all, and Bingochea also said that many of his company’s customers are more used to the traditional channel grid used by pay TV providers. That’s why the company also isn’t including ann app store. Instead, it lists Vudu right alongside other channels in the channel grid.

Bingochea said that whole-home DRV functionality was one of the most-requested features, which is why the company is now developing an adapter that can be connected to other TVs in the house to stream recordings from a DVR+ over the local network. The device won’t allow out-of-home streaming, but Channel Master cooperated with EchoStar on the development of the DVR+, and as a result, it is compatible with Sling’s Slingbox 500.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #41
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Wake me up when their whole home solution does more than just OTA.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #42
Beryl

I'm thrilled about this offering although I don't plan to purchase one soon. It may be a long time before it reaches the sophistication of TiVo but I see it like Slingmedia versus Monsoon (Hava/Vulkano/Belkin). I hope it successfully gains marketshare.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #43
santanzchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
The market for this product is one that doesn't really understand the difference between TiVo and a simple DVR, to avoid the hated monthly fees. I hate monthly fees also but I don't see how anybody making a comparison between this Channel Master DVR and TiVo could decide to buy Channel Master instead of TiVo with lifetime.
The people who would buy it are the ones that cut the cable because of the money and dont have $700+ to get a tivo with lifetime going.
santanzchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #44
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_vortex View Post
I just got mine today and hooked it up to my Samsung Smart TV. I connected an Ethernet cable from my ClearSpot Hub for the Internet and hung on a WD Passport 1TB USB drive. I live in Fremont, CA and get all the SF Bay Area OTA channels with an indoor amplified antenna.

I just pulled the plug on Dish, too much for too little. This CHM DVR+ displays a program guide and allows future recording choices and on the air rewinds very much like the Dish DVR did. The picture quality is fantastic, it allows 1080p and 720 to come through. Wow. I'm very pleased with this, my previous OTA DVR experiences were not good.

The DVR+ comes with built in VUDU, but my Samsung Smart TV comes with built in Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Time, HuLu+, and will play MP4 videos on a USB flash drive plugged in back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
@polar_vortex,

How well can record by name mimic season passes? If the same show airs on two or more stations you receive, can you set it to only record from one station (to avoid recording duplicate episodes)? If the same episode has repeated airings, can you prevent duplicate recordings, or at least have the repeat recording overwrite the previous duplicate?
Hey it's been a week now and we're still hoping for that "back with more later", especially answers to my questions above about recording by name.

and
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #45
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
The CM-7500 has name-based recording. There is an option when, you select a program from the guide to record, that asks if you want to record other programs with the same name. That sounds like a season pass to me.
No way to indicate first runs only, so you get repeats and reruns.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #46
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by santanzchild View Post
The people who would buy it are the ones that cut the cable because of the money and dont have $700+ to get a tivo with lifetime going.
Much more likely the people who will buy it are the ones who listen to posts that claim you have to pay a monthly fee for a TiVo or ones like yours that say it costs $700 for a lifetimed Tivo.

Sure you could pay monthly fee or even the $700 you stated if you wanted to but it is also pretty easy to pay $550 or less for a new Roamio with lifetime and if someone is willing to start with a used Series 3 unit they can have one with lifetime and an upgraded hard drive for less than this new channel master unit costs without a hard drive.

In the end what really matters is how well any OTA DVR works (reception, reliability, easy of use, feature set, etc.) and as I have stated before I would be real interested in hearing from people that can directly compare this new channel master OTA DVR to other TiVo and nonTiVo OTA DVRs.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #47
bobsaccount

Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by santanzchild View Post
I have the money, just don't want to waste it.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #48
bobsaccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
No way to indicate first runs only, so you get repeats and reruns.
Well see, the DVR+ is for people who can cope with such things and are not upset or challenged by deleting the occasional duplicate ...
Old 01-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #49
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Well see, the DVR+ is for people who can cope with such things and are not upset or challenged by deleting the occasional duplicate ...
Whereas Tivos are for people who can cope with CableCARD, Tuning Adapters and poor support from cable TV operators. I'd gladly substitute deleting some duplicates for those problems, although I'm still interested in how well one can approach Tivo's season pass functionality with the DVR+, just as a matter of curiosity.

The really major issues w.r.t. the DVR+ are:

1. Are you ready to cut the cord?
2. Is it a quality product that works well?
3. Is it supported, both now and in the future?

and
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #50
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
I have the money, just don't want to waste it.
You either want the extra features of a Roamio or you don't (double the number of tuners, way better DVR features, etc.). It's just a choice, not a waste.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #51
Starfury9

This looks a lot better than their DTVpal!
Starfury9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #52
shwru980r

Quote:
But if you're recording a duplicate, then the tuner is not free to record something else. It's not just the drudgery of deleting duplicates.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #53
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
But if you're recording a duplicate, then the tuner is not free to record something else. It's not just the drudgery of deleting duplicates.
Which leads to another question: How does it decide which show not to record if your record-by-name shows lead to three shows to be recorded at the same time? Actually I'm not sure how Tivo handles this (with season passes). Is tivo smart enough to reschedule one of the recordings to a duplicate showing at a different time? If that's not possible, what does it do? (Obviously I've never had this happen, but I would guess it records the two shows that are highest on the Season Pass list.)

and
Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #54
joemckairnes

I've been off cable for years now - have an antenna on the roof ($250). I get almost 100 channels, most all in HD, and am pleased that I get channels with shows from the past (oldies). Got to tell you, I'm fed up with Tivo - desktop software has lots of problems, tivo channel guide is almost always wrong, I could go on and on.. Seriously considering the Channel Master DVR+....... Don't bash...just my experiences / thoughts! Also, not a 'big' TV/Movie person...basics are fine...
joemckairnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #55
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Channel guide is almost always wrong? LOL - you're using a different Tivo than I, Tivo generally has the most up to date data you can get on a DVR.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #56
atmuscarella

slowbiscuit: Don't feed the Channel Master pimping trolls. While I have suspected that several of the users who setup IDs just to post in this tread where just that, the one you just responded to is even more suspect.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 02-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #57
joemckairnes

Aw - I asked you to be nice... I just spent 3 hours with Tivo support - desktop hasn't worked since I installed windows 8. And yes, the guide is almost always wrong. No need to get personal - lets be adult here..... I'm a consumer who is very frustrated with Tivo and looking for alternatives....
joemckairnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #58
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

It is rare that I have found the channel guide wrong. Not to say that TiVo is perfect, as it isn't in many ways. But really do love my TiVos. Their better than anything I have used in the past. And I have had ReplayTVs and lots of other brands of DVRS.

I don't use the desktop software, so can't address any problems with that.

I have never used a Channel Master DVR+ so can't say it is better or worse. Might try one if I find one for $50 at the thrift store or craigslist. The places I have bought most of my other DVRs.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #59
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemckairnes View Post
...... the guide is almost always wrong.......
I suspect this is due to your very unusual situation almost 100 OTA channels. You must be pulling from a large geographic area, i.e., many zip codes, and I think this may be something the Tivo guide data system doesn't handle well.

I suspect the DVR+ guide data won't handle it well either.

Just out of curiosity I wonder how many unique channels this gives you? For example I'm guessing you have five or more versions of each of the major networks such as CBS. Also do you rotate your antenna?

and
Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #60
rcanoza

Wow, I guess it's not as overpriced as it seemed, if it can catch around 100 OTA channels
rcanoza is offline   Reply With Quote