TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
peakay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 55
Tivo Mini: tuning adapter at mini or not?

Sorry if this has been answered, but I didn't see it when searching.

We currently have 2 Series 3 Tivo HDs connected via wireless for home transferring, both with tuning adapters for Cox. On order i have a tivo roamio basic and a tivo mini (old version) to replace them.

My understanding of the mini is that it is using the tuner of the Roamio and it is streaming to the unit. That being the case, can I get rid of the tuning adapter on our upstairs TV where the mini is going? It would be really nice to get rid of that extra box of clutter.

Thanks.

peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ashland, PA 17921 TCD746500/TCD846500
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Sorry if this has been answered, but I didn't see it when searching.

We currently have 2 Series 3 Tivo HDs connected via wireless for home transferring, both with tuning adapters for Cox. On order i have a tivo roamio basic and a tivo mini (old version) to replace them.

My understanding of the mini is that it is using the tuner of the Roamio and it is streaming to the unit. That being the case, can I get rid of the tuning adapter on our upstairs TV where the mini is going? It would be really nice to get rid of that extra box of clutter.

Thanks.
A Mini does not need or use a TA. Your understanding is correct.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,552
You are correct. The Mini does not use a Tuning Adapter or a CableCard. Only the host DVR does.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
peakay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You are correct. The Mini does not use a Tuning Adapter or a CableCard. Only the host DVR does.
Yes! Now I can get rid of that ugly thing...thanks!

peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
peakay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A Mini does not need or use a TA. Your understanding is correct.
One other thing: if I network it via Ethernet do I need to run coax to it? I'm thinking not, but let me know.

peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
krkaufman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
One other thing: if I network it via Ethernet do I need to run coax to it? I'm thinking not, but let me know.
No. Your Mini will need Ethernet *or* MoCA-enabled coax, strictly for network connectivity.

The Mini doesn't doing any tuning of the TV signals on its own. It directly streams app content (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc*) from the associated streaming service, but streams any TV provider content, whether live or recorded, from its connected host DVR.

* The unknown, for me, is where a Mini pulls on-demand content for non-Xfinity On Demand apps, like the new Cox On Demand solution. XOD4TiVo is tuned via the host DVR, then streamed to the Mini; but I've been informed that the Cox On Demand solution is via IP, so a Mini *MAY* pull that content in directly from Cox, rather than it being proxied through the host DVR.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
peakay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 55
Thank you. Yes, that would be nice to know too as we are in a cox area that should have vod supported via tivo.

peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications
 
CoxInPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
* The unknown, for me, is where a Mini pulls on-demand content for non-Xfinity On Demand apps, like the new Cox On Demand solution. XOD4TiVo is tuned via the host DVR, then streamed to the Mini; but I've been informed that the Cox On Demand solution is via IP, so a Mini *MAY* pull that content in directly from Cox, rather than it being proxied through the host DVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Thank you. Yes, that would be nice to know too as we are in a cox area that should have vod supported via tivo.
Cox OnDemand on the Mini is semi-independent of the Host DVR,
It is all IP and the Mini does not use a Tuner from the DVR. The Mini streams directly over IP.

However, unlike Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc, Cox OnDemand will not launch unless the Host DVR connection is available on the LAN. So, either the indexing or authentication for Cox OnDemand is through the DVR.

__________________
Bolt, Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, & Minis w/ Cisco SDV TA, FW F.2001, Cisco CC FW PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2016 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.
Page generated in 0.14445591 seconds (55.00% PHP - 45.00% MySQL) with 18 queries