TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
peakay

Tivo Mini: tuning adapter at mini or not?

Sorry if this has been answered, but I didn't see it when searching.

We currently have 2 Series 3 Tivo HDs connected via wireless for home transferring, both with tuning adapters for Cox. On order i have a tivo roamio basic and a tivo mini (old version) to replace them.

My understanding of the mini is that it is using the tuner of the Roamio and it is streaming to the unit. That being the case, can I get rid of the tuning adapter on our upstairs TV where the mini is going? It would be really nice to get rid of that extra box of clutter.

Thanks.

peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Sorry if this has been answered, but I didn't see it when searching.

We currently have 2 Series 3 Tivo HDs connected via wireless for home transferring, both with tuning adapters for Cox. On order i have a tivo roamio basic and a tivo mini (old version) to replace them.

My understanding of the mini is that it is using the tuner of the Roamio and it is streaming to the unit. That being the case, can I get rid of the tuning adapter on our upstairs TV where the mini is going? It would be really nice to get rid of that extra box of clutter.

Thanks.
A Mini does not need or use a TA. Your understanding is correct.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

You are correct. The Mini does not use a Tuning Adapter or a CableCard. Only the host DVR does.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
peakay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You are correct. The Mini does not use a Tuning Adapter or a CableCard. Only the host DVR does.
Yes! Now I can get rid of that ugly thing...thanks!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
peakay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A Mini does not need or use a TA. Your understanding is correct.
One other thing: if I network it via Ethernet do I need to run coax to it? I'm thinking not, but let me know.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
krkaufman

Quote:
One other thing: if I network it via Ethernet do I need to run coax to it? I'm thinking not, but let me know.
No. Your Mini will need Ethernet *or* MoCA-enabled coax, strictly for network connectivity.

The Mini doesn't doing any tuning of the TV signals on its own. It directly streams app content (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc*) from the associated streaming service, but streams any TV provider content, whether live or recorded, from its connected host DVR.

* The unknown, for me, is where a Mini pulls on-demand content for non-Xfinity On Demand apps, like the new Cox On Demand solution. XOD4TiVo is tuned via the host DVR, then streamed to the Mini; but I've been informed that the Cox On Demand solution is via IP, so a Mini *MAY* pull that content in directly from Cox, rather than it being proxied through the host DVR.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
peakay

Thank you. Yes, that would be nice to know too as we are in a cox area that should have vod supported via tivo.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
* The unknown, for me, is where a Mini pulls on-demand content for non-Xfinity On Demand apps, like the new Cox On Demand solution. XOD4TiVo is tuned via the host DVR, then streamed to the Mini; but I've been informed that the Cox On Demand solution is via IP, so a Mini *MAY* pull that content in directly from Cox, rather than it being proxied through the host DVR.
Quote:
Thank you. Yes, that would be nice to know too as we are in a cox area that should have vod supported via tivo.
Cox OnDemand on the Mini is semi-independent of the Host DVR,
It is all IP and the Mini does not use a Tuner from the DVR. The Mini streams directly over IP.

However, unlike Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc, Cox OnDemand will not launch unless the Host DVR connection is available on the LAN. So, either the indexing or authentication for Cox OnDemand is through the DVR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: