TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Latitude94941

Roamio Wifi--What is the Truth?

Have searched the threads and contacted Tivo technical support, but have only gotten conflicting answers to my question:

I just purchased a Roamio Plus. It is installed next to sensitive audio equipment, so I want to make sure the Roamio's wifi is not active. When setting up the Roamio, I never connected via wifi--only by Ethernet.

Can anyone tell me whether the Roamio's wifi will be off in this scenario? Or, as some have reported, is it always active, even if it is connected by Ethernet?

Thanks...
Latitude94941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude94941 View Post
Have searched the threads and contacted Tivo technical support, but have only gotten conflicting answers to my question:

I just purchased a Roamio Plus. It is installed next to sensitive audio equipment, so I want to make sure the Roamio's wifi is not active. When setting up the Roamio, I never connected via wifi--only by Ethernet.

Can anyone tell me whether the Roamio's wifi will be off in this scenario? Or, as some have reported, is it always active, even if it is connected by Ethernet?

Thanks...
It would be as active as any Computer with built in WiFi that you never set up, some computers have an on/off switch for the WiFi so I will assume that some signal as a receiver would be working, but I don't think you would have any transmissions that would be a problem for your sensitive audio equipment, I am sure all TiVos (without built in WiFi ) have some RF transmission, but at FCC approved levels.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Latitude94941

Thanks, Les,

I realize that the Roamio will emit RF no matter what, but I'm specifically referring to wifi transmissions. I do have a computer in this same installation, but the wifi is set to off.

Trying to get definitive answer--some have said if wifi never set up on Roamio then it will not be active. Others have suggested entering a bad wifi password to disable wifi--but would this really be a solution?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
sleepdragon

open up the roamio and manually remove the wifi board

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507711

wifi board is the one on the upper left hand corner
sleepdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdragon View Post
open up the roamio and manually disconnect the wifi
Have you tried that ? as I would like to do that but I was concerned that the software would notice and give out an error.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Time_Lord

what type of audio equipment is so sensitive in a home environment that can't deal with commonly found RF transmissions found in a home?

Or are you one of those Audiophiles that chases the unobtainable theoretical performance by buying all kinds of crazy cables and connectors thinking that somehow a $100 digital cable will sound better than a $5 digital cable? (Hint if its digital, and the cable works reliably there is no difference, to your ears or to fancy scopes).

-TL
Time_Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
ltxi

It was a good question. No one needs more unnecessary/extraneous 2.4 Ghz radiation running around in one's house.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Latitude94941

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdragon View Post
open up the roamio and manually remove the wifi board

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507711

wifi board is the one on the upper left hand corner
I'd also be interested in giving this a try. Would just desoldering/disconnecting the wires at the top of the board do it? Is there another method to disconnect the board without physically removing it?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
It was a good question. No one needs more unnecessary/extraneous 2.4 Ghz radiation running around in one's house.
One extra device shouldn't make any difference. I have dozens of active WiFi devices without any issues. Although half of mine do use 5Ghz.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
One extra device shouldn't make any difference. I have dozens of active WiFi devices without any issues. Although half of mine do use 5Ghz.
No one needs more unnecessary/extraneous 2.4 Ghz radiation running around in one's house.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Latitude94941

Thanks for all the responses, but to stay on topic, let's please not debate general wifi and RFI issues in this thread, or what does or does not make an audible difference in a recording/playback signal chain. Discussions for another place and time.

For now, let's just stipulate that someone wants to either:

A) Determine that the Roamio's wifi adapter is not broadcasting when connected via Ethernet (and having never been connected via wifi).

Or

B) Somehow shut off or disconnect the wifi adapter if it is indeed broadcasting.

How would someone accomplish the above?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses, but to stay on topic, let's please not debate general wifi and RFI issues in this thread, or what does or does not make an audible difference in a recording/playback signal chain. Discussions for another place and time.

For now, let's just stipulate that someone wants to either:

A) Determine that the Roamio's wifi adapter is not broadcasting when connected via Ethernet (and having never been connected via wifi).

Or

B) Somehow shut off or disconnect the wifi adapter if it is indeed broadcasting.

How would someone accomplish the above?
Someone already mentioned it. You need to physically disconnect the WiFi board. That is the only way to be 100% sure you have no extraneous signals. Although I think that is an extreme measure considering all the wifi devices out there.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You can always cut the wires. If you decide you want wifi again, wire nut the wires back together. I'm only half kidding. If you're worried about warranty issues, I got nuthin'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
ggieseke

Instead of cutting anything, just disconnect the antenna wires. The two little gold colored tabs at the top of that board should pop right off and snap back on at a later date if you need them. They're just like the antenna wires on a laptop.

If you never set wifi up in the first place I don't think it would ever transmit anything. Giving it the wrong SSID or password would be my last choice, as it would keep trying to connect.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
duncan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You need to physically disconnect the WiFi board. That is the only way to be 100% sure you have no extraneous signals.
I thought nuking it from orbit was only way to be sure.
duncan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Time_Lord

disconnecting the antennas on the wifi board in the TiVo doesn't stop the TiVo from transmitting, it just severely reduces the effective range.

I'd be more worried about the big antenna sticking out the back of the audio equipment... you know the unshielded 2 or 3 conductor wire called the power cord!

Snake oil salesmen aren't out of business yet!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Time_Lord

I think I found the answer to your electromagnetic issues...

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

The cost starts at just over $1323, but with your super sensitive audio equipment this should fit in and solve the issue.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
Latitude94941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
disconnecting the antennas on the wifi board in the TiVo doesn't stop the TiVo from transmitting, it just severely reduces the effective range.

I'd be more worried about the big antenna sticking out the back of the audio equipment... you know the unshielded 2 or 3 conductor wire called the power cord!
I suspect you're right that disconnecting the wires will only cut the range, not the signal.

By the way, for the reasons you mentioned, I do use shielded AC cables in my recording set up.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
moon_tower

Put your Tivo in a homemade Faraday cage. You'll have to put your remote on IR though.
moon_tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
Latitude94941

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
If you never set wifi up in the first place I don't think it would ever transmit anything.
Thanks. I have now heard the same thing from several sources, but does anyone know how I can confirm this? If this is indeed the case, would sure hate to be disconnecting wifi board or some of the other scenarios that we've been kicking around here (although the earlier suggestion to nuke it from space does seem rather exciting).
Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
sleepdragon

FYI, TiVo T6 (MOS version of the Roamio Plus) does not come with WiFi board and they run on the same version of software as far as I know...
sleepdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_tower View Post
Put your Tivo in a homemade Faraday cage...
Imagine how chocolaty the mid-range would be! 2.4 Ghz radiation totally screwed with the danceability of my audio system.

Last edited by ferrumpneuma : 12-16-2013 at 02:50 PM.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #23
DigitalDawn

The following will get rid of all RF interference:

Trace a line around your TiVo with this:

DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post

Funny

Old 12-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #25
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post

Wait do you think it'll work? I know it can't be cheap if it's aimed at audiophiles. You think I can purchase it for $1,000??? If I get two would it work even better?

This reminds me of an article posted by some audiophile I read a year or two back, he claimed that the output from his music that he stored on a harddisk was drastically improved when he replaced the SATA cable with some uber expensive one.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
Wait do you think it'll work? I know it can't be cheap if it's aimed at audiophiles. You think I can purchase it for $1,000??? If I get two would it work even better?

This reminds me of an article posted by some audiophile I read a year or two back, he claimed that the output from his music that he stored on a harddisk was drastically improved when he replaced the SATA cable with some uber expensive one.
If you replaced a $5 cable with a $200 cable your music would sound better, or you would go crazy, better to have your music sound better. I know somebody that has one of these expensive audio systems and when they go away more than a few days they remove the speaker cables to bring to a special audio store that re-energize speaker cables. True audiophiles are different than most people.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
... and when they go away more than a few days they remove the speaker cables to bring to a special audio store that re-energize speaker cables. True audiophiles are different than most people.
PT Barnum was right, there's a sucker born every minute
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
ggieseke

Quote:
Thanks. I have now heard the same thing from several sources, but does anyone know how I can confirm this? If this is indeed the case, would sure hate to be disconnecting wifi board or some of the other scenarios that we've been kicking around here (although the earlier suggestion to nuke it from space does seem rather exciting).
A laptop running Wireshark is the only thing I can think of that would prove it one way or the other. Run a several hour capture and filter the results based on the MAC address of the WiFi card in the TiVo (it's printed on the card).

Edit: Nuking it from space sounds fun, but the EM pulse would surely destroy your audio system anyway if it's that sensive.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
leiff

Im looking in the inside of my Romeo basic right now. I operate permanently with lid off because it runs cooler and quiter this way. I see the Wireless lan module attached with a screw and it appears it would snap right off. I'd like to do this since I don't use the WiFi and I'm paranoid about WiFi signals. can I get confirmation this snaps of as easily as it looks without damage?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #30
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
...Edit: Nuking it from space sounds fun, but the EM pulse would surely destroy your audio system anyway if it's that sensive.
Wrapping the audio equipment in a tin foil hat would work
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote