TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Borack

10 day Cancel on Mini's...??

Does the policy of Tivo's 10 day trial period extend to the Mini's..?? I was on the fence between the mini or Fios set top box for the bedroom (HD)..If the mini sets up moca with no hassles I would keep it, if not I would go for the set top box..I dont have time to tweak, set up and run.....
Borack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borack View Post
Does the policy of Tivo's 10 day trial period extend to the Mini's..?? I was on the fence between the mini or Fios set top box for the bedroom (HD)..If the mini sets up moca with no hassles I would keep it, if not I would go for the set top box..I dont have time to tweak, set up and run.....
Where did you get the idea about 10 days?, when you first activate any TiVo product you get a 30 day money back trial period, cancel your activation in that 30 day period and TiVo will return your money (lifetime or monthly), if you purchase the unit from TiVo itself they will also give you a refund on the hardware.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

The DVR's work without activation for up to 10 days, but the Mini needs to be activated to pair to the host DVR. You still have a 30 day return window, though.

Chances are the moca network will work fine.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The DVR's work without activation for up to 10 days, but the Mini needs to be activated to pair to the host DVR. You still have a 30 day return window, though.

Chances are the moca network will work fine.
Thanks BigJim and Les...Im all hooked up, but nothing as of yet..Still does not see my main TIVO.....TIVO's website says check back in 24, so I dont know if I have a Moca issue or its simply not activated yet !!!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

The Mini doesn't see it, or is it crossed out with a red circle? (Also just to be sure, you're using a 4 or 6-tuner Tivo right?)

It can take up to 24 hours for the box to fully activate, but it sometimes helps to force service connections on the DVR so that it (hopefully more quickly) knows there's a Mini on the account.

I forget the order in which Guided Setup does things, but if it connected to the service during guided setup, that's a good sign for moca network connectivity.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-24-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Borack

Quote:
The Mini doesn't see it, or is it crossed out with a red circle? (Also just to be sure, you're using a 4 or 6-tuner Tivo right?)

It can take up to 24 hours for the box to fully activate, but it sometimes helps to force service connections on the DVR so that it (hopefully more quickly) knows there's a Mini on the account.

I forget the order in which Guided Setup does things, but if it connected to the service during guided setup, that's a good sign for moca network connectivity.
Its a 6 tuner...It gave two options on setup, peer to peer to TIVO or let it grab its own static IP..(default)..I chose the default which I hope was correct...Ill try the force....It did go thru the whole setup connectivity which I thought, was a good sign !!

*** The "force service connection" did the trick..Thanks BigJim, Im good to go....!!

Last edited by Borack : 05-24-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Borack

Quote:
*** The "force service connection" did the trick..Thanks BigJim, Im good to go....!!
No im not...!! Sometimes jittery reception then "Fails to see" main TIVO unit...Will study the rest of the similar complaints..Then return
Old 05-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Common culprit is a splitter somewhere between the two connections. If it's old or damaged it's a good idea to replace with one rated 1GHz or higher.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Borack

Quote:
Common culprit is a splitter somewhere between the two connections. If it's old or damaged it's a good idea to replace with one rated 1GHz or higher.
Way toooo hot up in the attic BigJim to hunt it down (assuming its there !)..This place has been wired for satelight, then cable, then FIOS...Its a rats nest up there...I wouldn't know where to begin...I like it the unit, great concept and was happy with it, even the right price...but I dont have time to tweak..Its gotta go back..Its either the cheapy Roamao or Fios's basic set top HD..(Yuuuch)...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
BigJimOutlaw

I had my own set of problems when I first got the Mini (not moca related), but once I dealt with it, it was worth it.

Verizon charges too much for equipment now. There's a new "per room" fee on top of the STB fee. The $5 for the cablecard was bad enough. You can avoid all that with a Mini if you can find the aging splitter.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Borack

The continuing saga !!!..After realizing I needed to connect to the router and not the other TIVO in the living room, I bought another mini...(69.00 at BestBuy)...Still have a new Roamio in an unopened box..(just in case)..

Went into the attic and dropped down ethernet connection to the mini from my router...GAWD IS IT HOT IN THERE...(getting past the insulation was a bear, even with a snake)..Seems to be working well after a few service connections on Ethernet...The Roamio may have to go back if this holds up !!!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
swak

How did you get one for $69, website is $99.
swak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post
How did you get one for $69, website is $99.

When I bought it, I told him Wal-Mart had it for 72.00 and Amazon for 79.00 (Although that has now changed)..He checked and charged me 69.00 !! I returned it and bought another one this morning...I showed them the return receipt of the 69.00 price and they sold another matching the same price....

BTW Walmart still has it in the 70's. and Bestbuy will match and take another 10%..
Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
When I bought it, I told him Wal-Mart had it for 72.00 and Amazon for 79.00 (Although that has now changed)..He checked and charged me 69.00 !! I returned it and bought another one this morning...I showed them the return receipt of the 69.00 price and they sold another matching the same price....

BTW Walmart still has it in the 70's. and Bestbuy will match and take another 10%..
I just talked TiVo into selling me another for $49, a csr offered it to me last Friday while I was taking a couple roamios off my account, I asked them to make a note of such as I had to double check but I called back in yesterday and got it for $49. The csr didn't want to but since they noted it in my account notes they gave it to me.

Golden rule, if a TiVo csr offers you a good deal but you need time to think it over, be sure you request them to make a note on your account as otherwise you might not get that same deal when you call back in.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
i2k

FWIW: I've also got the TiVO mini by calling in for $49.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post
FWIW: I've also got the TiVO mini by calling in for $49.
I'm wondering if they are starting to unload stock for newer release soon..