TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Ziggy86

Tivo HD keeps reboting

My Tivo HD keeps rebooting about every two hours and I am not sure what might be causing this, could it be a faulty hard drive?

If so I have a replacement what kind of tool do I need to remove the case to get to the drive?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
My Tivo HD keeps rebooting about every two hours and I am not sure what might be causing this, could it be a faulty hard drive?

If so I have a replacement what kind of tool do I need to remove the case to get to the drive?
You're talking about a TCD652160, correct?

(look on the back at the sticker where the power cord plug in for the model number if you didn't save any of the packing or paperwork)

That model is among those TiVos (and many, many other consumer electronics devices from about the same time) which are prone to having power supply problems due to "capacitor plague".

The good news is that anyone who can do simple soldering can replace about $10 worth of parts and fix it.

However, if you're still running the original 160GB hard drive, it's getting a little long in the tooth and could be going bad as well.

The good news is that you can replace it with a 2TB drive for under $100.

Amazon currently has the WD20EURS for $95.

You will need to remove the drive and hook it and the new drive up to a PC (or in some cases you might be able to use a Mac).

Next time it reboots and is steady for a moment, go into the "Messages and Settings" sub-menu, then into "Account & System Information", and then into "System Information", and see if you're running version 11.0k or 11.0m of the software, or maybe something earlier, like g or h.

If it's not running "m" yet, it may be attempting to switch (which requires a reboot) to the alternate boot partition set to which it has already downloaded and written "m", and not being successful for some reason.

And tell us which cable company where and what kind of cable cards and whether you have to use a Tuning Adapter to get the cable company's Switched Digital Video channels.

And it's not impossible that you have both power supply and hard drive problems.

In order to open up the TiVo you're going to need a #10 Torx bit, and at some point you may need a #8 and a #15 as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Preci...49/203436713?#

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-P...246/203792327#

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...1H/204664390?#

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-I...502/100087664#

Lowe's may have similar items, but the listings on their web site seem designed to specifically hide from me the details for which I was looking, and Sears' site is hopelessly broken, so you'd be better off dropping by either of those in person.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Ziggy86

Thank you.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Thank you.
Search this entire site

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

for the word "capacitor" to find all the posts where we've already gone into great detail about how to look to see if you have a power supply problem and how to fix it if you do.

And search for Ultimate Boot cd for discussions about how to use the drive maker's diagnostic software to test the hard drive (leave the drive on the bracket and just disconnect the bracket when moving the drive to the PC).

Remember rule #1 about opening up or otherwise working with an opened up TiVo.

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!

And you didn't tell us which version of the software your TiVo is running when it's not crashing.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Ziggy86

I am not home so I can't check the software version.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
I am not home so I can't check the software version.
I'm sure I know which one of us is impatient to fix your TiVo and which can stand to wait indefinitely.

If I don't get hit by a bus I should be here later.