TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
shamilian

new youtube app

Anyone else see the new youtube app?
The OS has not changed.
The netflix app has not changed.
The new youtube app seems to give better controls....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
The OS has not changed.
I've seen a lot easier to use the search function.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
jgametest

Big Grin Google presents : Youtube 2.0 Faster but Buggy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
I've seen a lot easier to use the search function.
Yes the player handles playback better, but it came at a costs. Many video formats are not supported as the video goes "DARK" with an error. Think of this new update as "Faster but Buggy"

I mentioned this in a different sub-group days ago, if it becomes a headache to navigate there is an alternative.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512002
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
The OS has not changed.
These new-generation html5 apps are not tied to tivo software updates. So, the apps can be continuously tweaked and updated.... hopefully that will be the case
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Anyone know how to get to someone's channel I'm subscribed to? I'm not thrilled with the new interface.

There's also a lovely new feature that the sound goes out. The only way to fix it is to skip forward or back.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
Anyone know how to get to someone's channel I'm subscribed to? I'm not thrilled with the new interface.
If you logged in, then you should see your subscribed channels on the left.

Quote:
There's also a lovely new feature that the sound goes out. The only way to fix it is to skip forward or back.
It does not always happen. I usually pause / play.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
If you logged in, then you should see your subscribed channels on the left.
I see those but that's only uploads. I can't get to their actual channel and see their playlists.

When viewing their uploads there doesn't seem to be a way to get back to the subscribed channel list either?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
shamilian

Quote:
I see those but that's only uploads. I can't get to their actual channel and see their playlists.

When viewing their uploads there doesn't seem to be a way to get back to the subscribed channel list either?
I started a playlist from my laptop.
Then when I pressed down using the tv remote i got "Youtube remote playlist" screen

I think "go back" should put you back to your channel list.

It seem dual screen is the easiest way to drive this app.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
moose53

Arrow

Quote:

Finally, someone that's having the same problem as me. I think the new interface is junk.

Read these:

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ageId=10432560 (no response)
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512159 (142 views and no responses)
AND
I've been corresponding with Tivo for almost a week. They have no solution. Other than:

Quote:
Hello Barbara,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support.

At this point in time, I would recommend contacting our Technical Support Team for more advanced troubleshooting. To do so, please contact TiVo Customer Support at 877-367-8486.

Hours of operation
Monday - Friday, 7AM Pacific Time to 7 PM Pacific Time
Saturday - Sunday, 8AM Pacific Time to 6 PM Pacific Time

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
I've got over 30 subscriptions. 2 of them put all their links and videos into playlists. With this new (improved??!!) version of the Youtube app, you cannot see playlists. I don't know why this is an "improvement". People that post videos on Youtube, put them at the top level, put them in playlists, subscribe to other users. There's a lot that you cannot access with the new version of Youtube.

I cannot place a service call to Tivo to continue on with this because I have very restricted phone service.

I was switched over just under a week ago. Lost a lot of functionality. I was switched from what youtube.com/tv is calling "YouTube on TV for Older Devices (most 2012 models and earlier)" to "YouTube on TV for Newer Devices (2013 models and select 2012 models)."

There's no directions anywhere for how to use this thing. And, I think it's very non-intuitive. I've worked on senior level helpdesks for over 13 years and I'm having trouble with it.

A couple of things that you might find helpful:

(1) If you are playing a video and you press the [down-arrow], you will see related videos. For example, if you are playing a video from Fred, you will see additional videos from Fred. If Fred posts links to videos from Mary, you will see additional videos from Mary.

(2) If you press this button on your Tivo remote, it will take you back (not always) a level at a time. Most times you can get back to the level where your subscripions and personal playlists are listed (but, not always). Sometimes, the only solution is to hit the [clear] button on the remote which will take you back out so you can re-launch Youtube.

(3) Also, I discovered a kludgy way to see other people playlists: add one of their videos to your "Watch Later" list. While watching their video, you can press the [down-arrow] to see other videos that they have. If they post links to other people, you will see the other person's videos.

If you want to put in a ticket to call them, I can give you the text of what we're tried so far (and the ticket number) ... just basic entry-level troubleshooting which didn't solve anything. It's a problem with the Youtube interface.

Good luck.

Barb
Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Don D

The new You Tube app does not seem to recognize keyboard input from the new Slide Pro remote. Is anyone else having this problem?
Don D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
e_identity

Right arrow to next video on watch later list

while playing a video on my watch later list, I discovered that Right arrow on the remote switches to the next video on my watch later list (and Left arrow to the prior video on my list). Overall, the controls are just mystifying to me in this app....
e_identity
Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
Finally, someone that's having the same problem as me. I think the new interface is junk.
The app seemed to go from horrible to great and back to horrible.

Quote:
I've been corresponding with Tivo for almost a week. They have no solution.
Their support and overall business has left a lot to be desired for over the last year. Everything from closing unanswered tickets to generally unhelpful support to "approving" these horrible apps, I could go on.

I understand the YouTube and Netflix apps aren't managed by Tivo anymore. I understand that interface changes happen from time-to-time. What I don't understand is how Tivo allows these new interfaces on their platform with all these major problems. Certainly they are well aware of the new interfaces before they roll out to hundreds of thousands of their customers. I blame Tivo for allowing it, because that's who I pay every month. The Netflix app has major problems as well.

Quote:
People that post videos on Youtube, put them at the top level, put them in playlists, subscribe to other users. There's a lot that you cannot access with the new version of Youtube.
I can't even access my *own* playlists, and even if I could, the sound cuts out every few minutes.

Quote:
There's no directions anywhere for how to use this thing. And, I think it's very non-intuitive.
There never is with any of these apps.

Quote:
(1) If you are playing a video and you press the [down-arrow], you will see related videos. For example, if you are playing a video from Fred, you will see additional videos from Fred.
Those are just what Youtube considers "Related Videos" which are more often than not non-sequential. That's a big reason why people create playlists to begin with.

Quote:
(2) If you press this button on your Tivo remote, it will take you back (not always) a level at a time. Most times you can get back to the level where your subscripions and personal playlists are listed (but, not always).
I've had no luck with going back a level. Most often I just restart the app.

Quote:
(3) Also, I discovered a kludgy way to see other people playlists: add one of their videos to your "Watch Later" list. While watching their video, you can press the [down-arrow] to see other videos that they have. If they post links to other people, you will see the other person's videos.
Yeah those are YouTube's "Related Videos".

Quote:
If you want to put in a ticket to call them
Not gonna waste my time.