TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
traveler4921

Closed Caption ?'s for upload to PC

Greetings fellow Tivo junkies!

I simply (when is Tivo ever simple ..?) want to take my shows with me on vacation.

I've read a lot of threads, most of them involve CC issues when pushing back to the Tivo. Not much on just transfer to the PC and watch w/ CC.

I've tried Tivo Desktop (free version) to upload from my Tivo Premier to my PC, but there aren't any closed captions.

I've tried using kmttg, I've got the program up, transferred and converted a few files, installed VCL player, but still no CC.

I am sure this is simple, I just need step by step instructions. I am fairly computer literate and this has me stumped.

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated
traveler4921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
traveler4921

I've tried using the enable fast transfer to no avail.

I am running Win 7 and have MocA.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

The fast transfer option just decides whether the file is a Transport Stream or a Program Stream. The captions should be in either file.

If you use kmttg then the resulting file should have captions in VLC. You just have to turn them on via the Subtitles menu.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
traveler4921

Thanks for the reply Dan, I have used the kmttg and VLC combo it didn't work either.

Perhaps I have the settings wrong in kmttg, any clues as to what they should be?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Are you sure the file even has CCs?

I would recommend you download the free trial of VideoReDo TVSuite v4. (make sure to request the trial key) Open your TiVo file and check the View menu. If the file has captions there will be an option at the bottom to display them. If that option exists then save the file to "MPEG-2 Program Stream (*.mpg)". (edit out the commercials if you feel so inclined) Then try playing the file in VLC. Are the captions there?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
traveler4921

Dan, I will try that tomorrow, thank you for the suggestions
Old 12-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
sar840t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The fast transfer option just decides whether the file is a Transport Stream or a Program Stream. The captions should be in either file...
I re-confirmed a day or so ago that a recording copied with fast transfer disabled loses the close captions, while the exact same recording copied with fast transfer enabled displays the closed captions (I was hoping something had changed on that front, as kmttg has a hard time dealing with whichever stream the "fast" transfer uses).
sar840t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... I guess that's possible. Maybe TiVo didn't update their PS muxer to deal with 708 captions. I know both work fine with 608 captions, but I haven't specifically tested with 708 captions.

Kmttg uses tivodecode to decrypt the files. Tivodecode does not support TS files. There is a patch for tivodecode that adds support but it's not 100% and can cause some minor corruption in some files. No one has taken up the cause and tried to figure out why.

VideoReDo uses a DLL from TiVo Desktop to do the decryption so it's 100% with both types.

FYI if you have "fast" enabled and transfer from a Premiere or Roamio you get a TS file. if you have it disabled, or transfer anything from an S3 or lower, then you get a PS file.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
mattack

I *know* I've seen CCs when viewing files in VLC on the iPad (sometimes I transfer from Tivo to computer to iPad, to view in VLC at faster than realtime).. I'm *99%* positive I've seen CCs on VLC on the Mac too with the same/similar downloads.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
lpwcomp

The only way I've found to retain captions for recordings transferred to a PC and back to a Premiere is to transfer to PC in TS format and add "ts=on" to the global pyTiVo settings.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
traveler4921

Thanks Dan! This is working well. I made a "for dummies" version below

What worked well for me is:

1. Download and install kmmtg
2. Download and install VideoReDo
3. Download and install VLC media player
4. Use kmmtg to grab program off Tivo and put onto your computer in .tivo format.
5. Open VideoReDo and open the .tivo file. On "view" menu check to see if the "subtitle file" is clickable. If not, the file does not have a CC track.
6. Save file as MPEG-2 Program Stream (*.mpg) file.
7. Open VLC medial player and play the .mpg file. You might have to turn the CC on, and it should be there