Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is this a cablecard issue?

I have Comcast service and 10 days ago I lost half the channels on my living TV.

Some that I used to get now say "channel not available".

Comcast has been running me around in circles telling me it's one thing or another or another. First it's this, then that and finally something else.

They say they are sending a signal to my cable box - UM - I don't have one and have told them that. I only have 2 TiVo's and 2 cable cards.

The series 3 TiVo in my kitchen still has all the channels I have had for the last year and no issues.

My living room premiere TiVo lost a bunch of the channels that are in the next tier up in the package. Stuff like FX, SyFy, TNT, etc.

Now, they told me it was because my special ran out and so I went thru the pain of getting resigned for a new package that will give me those channels. I come home and still no extra, just the basics.

I have someone coming tomorrow to bring a new cable card and try that but I am wondering why my cable card would only read half the signal or mess up only half of the channels.

Is that possible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
3stan

Yes. It sounds like a cable card because the other TiVo is ok. One thing you could try before they come out is a channel scan. Settings & msgs>settings>channels>channel scan. Good luck!
3stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
tatergator1

Are you talking to the generic Comcast support line or the dedicated CableCard phone line for Comcast? The generic line is generally useless, but the CableCard lines for most Cable Companies are always very helpful. I don't have that number since I'm with Time Warner, but a quick forum search or another forum member can probably provide that quickly. It sounds like a problem with the billing codes associated with the troublesome CableCard?
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think posting here must have fixed it.

I posted and went home for lunch and wham - the channels were there. It's working!

I had gotten a call from an "executive customer rep" yesterday and he went thru stuff and resent the signal and when I called him back today he said - "Oh well sometimes it takes 24 hours to go thru because it's to a device that is not ours".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
"Oh well sometimes it takes 24 hours to go thru because it's to a device that is not ours".
And that is total BS. The device the cablecard is inserted in has no bearing on whether it will update now or in the next 24 hours. It either works or it doesn't.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
3stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Are you talking to the generic Comcast support line or the dedicated CableCard phone line for Comcast? The generic line is generally useless, but the CableCard lines for most Cable Companies are always very helpful. I don't have that number since I'm with Time Warner, but a quick forum search or another forum member can probably provide that quickly. It sounds like a problem with the billing codes associated with the troublesome CableCard?
Here is that #. 1-877-405-2298. If you are a Comcast customer, or might be in the future, WRITE THIS # DOWN! Good chance it will come in handy in the future. Call this first if you want to activate or suspect card problems. That's basically what "general support" is doing while you are on hold anyhow. Skip the "middle man". Much faster.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
3stan

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
And that is total BS. The device the cablecard is inserted in has no bearing on whether it will update now or in the next 24 hours. It either works or it doesn't.
Yea. More like it to took 24 hours to care and/or flip the right switch.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stan View Post
Here is that #. 1-877-405-2298. If you are a Comcast customer, or might be in the future, WRITE THIS # DOWN! Good chance it will come in handy in the future. Call this first if you want to activate or suspect card problems. That's basically what "general support" is doing while you are on hold anyhow. Skip the "middle man". Much faster.
I did use that number, but what I found that really got them moving was this ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Betts, don't deal with regular CSRs; they've proven their uselessness and cluelessness by now.

Contact ComcastCares (http://about.me/comcastcares)

@comcastcares on Twitter

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com by email

In the email, include: Your full name, service address, phone number & an alternate number if possible (best contact number/time to call), account number, and a link to any forum posting you may have describing your issue (and/or describe your basic issue directly).
I sent an email in at night and got a call the next day from a man that worked at a local office and was even speaking like english was his first language. Anyway, this is where I will be going for any future issues. I have his name and phone number. Anyone in Baltimore with issues, let me know and I will share this info.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Bloodyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Some that I used to get now say "channel not available".
Most likely is what happen was the cablecard had it's Auth but lost or somehow got an incorrect pairing. So when they sent the signal again it corrected that information within the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Lol I always hated when they would tried to say to me when I worked at TiVo. It takes 5 mins at the most, I know because I worked with cablecards for 3 years.
Bloodyred is offline   Reply With Quote