TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
ejonesss

now playing/ttg resolution dependent?

i have the tivo premire i guess it is aka series 4 and i know the ttg downloads the box seems to be doing some kind of conversion internally because i did a test where i downloaded a show then did a crc checksum on the file.

then i downloaded that show again and ran another crc and found the 2 are different.

also i know some conversion is happening because i got a couple shows that will not download or abort halfway but yet they play ok all the way through on the box.

if i try to resume the download then the server crashes to where i have to reboot the box.

what i was wondering is since i have no hdmi device connected to the box (dont need it since i can download most shows and i avoid content that is protected) the box is unable to output in full resolution so would that effect the quality/resolution of the downloaded file?

if i connect a display that supports the full 1080p to the tivo box will the internal converter see "ok you have an hdmi device connected here is the full quality/resolution file"?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Are you using TiVo Desktop, or some other program to transfer the shows?

You are correct that there is something happening during download, but it's not conversion.
The video and audio are kept separate on the Tivo, so when you want to download a file, the Tivo has to mux the video and audio together and then encrypt the recording with your MAK.
The output file is a standard Mpeg 2 in a PS or TS container, depending on which file transfer speed you use (assuming TiVo Desktop).
Other then that, there is no conversion happening to the video or audio itself. The digital stream is recorded as is, and you get that resolution when you download the file no matter what you have connected to the Tivo.

As for partial downloads, the Tivo's internal muxer is not very robust. It will balk when it encounters a glitch in the video or audio portion of the file (noticeable or not). This results in an abrupt interruption of the transfer process.

Which server crashes when you try to resume a download? Which box (Tivo or PC) needs the reboot?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
ejonesss

i am using the tivo downloader that is part of the mac version of toast by roxio.

it is the tivo server that crashes

is there a way to download the sound and video as separate files and mux them?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Nope. I haven't heard good things about that toast program. You might want to look into PyTivo. I believe there is a version for the mac, called PyTivoX.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote