TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
ldarcangelo

Fios Router on Comcast (Moca)

My apologies if this has been covered before but, I don't see my specific question answered. Due to a problem I'm having with Fios concerning pricing I have switched to Comcast. They come on Wednesday to install. I've done some searching and it appears I can continue to use the Actiontec router if I plug the cable modem into the Wan port on the AcitonTec router. My question would be, can I still use the Moca Functionality of the router if I have the router configured to get to the internet (dhcp) though the Wan port. Does anyone else have experience with this? My hope is to plug in the cable modem find it works and then attach it to the wan port on the router and update the router settings to grab an ip though the wan port and not though coax as it currently does. Would I still be able to use the Moca on the router with this setup? Currently all four of my minis connect to the fios router and I'm hoping this will work.

Sorry if this is confusing.

ldarcangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldarcangelo View Post
My apologies if this has been covered before but, I don't see my specific question answered. Due to a problem I'm having with Fios concerning pricing I have switched to Comcast. They come on Wednesday to install. I've done some searching and it appears I can continue to use the Actiontec router if I plug the cable modem into the Wan port on the AcitonTec router. My question would be, can I still use the Moca Functionality of the router if I have the router configured to get to the internet (dhcp) though the Wan port. Does anyone else have experience with this? My hope is to plug in the cable modem find it works and then attach it to the wan port on the router and update the router settings to grab an ip though the wan port and not though coax as it currently does. Would I still be able to use the Moca on the router with this setup? Currently all four of my minis connect to the fios router and I'm hoping this will work.

Hi,
I have not done this myself, but both logic and a lot of research tells me this should work fine, just use the WAN port coming from your cable modem. You might want to do a factory reset on the Actiontec. You don't mention which Rev. of the Actiontec you have. Rev. F and above are MoCA 1.1, the older Actiontec's are only 1.0. The MoCA LAN is enabled by default. You may want to pick up a POE/ Whole Home DVR filter and put it on the input of the first splitter to enter your home, or better yet, ask Comcast to install one for you with the install.
Edit: I don't think you will have to mess with the coax/ MoCA WAN settings on the Actiontec, unless there are some unexpected problems. The WAN port is always active on the Verizon router.

Last edited by fcfc2; 07-20-2015 at 10:42 AM.
fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
ldarcangelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi,
I have not done this myself, but both logic and a lot of research tells me this should work fine, just use the WAN port coming from your cable modem. You might want to do a factory reset on the Actiontec. You don't mention which Rev. of the Actiontec you have. Rev. F and above are MoCA 1.1, the older Actiontec's are only 1.0. The MoCA LAN is enabled by default. You may want to pick up a POE/ Whole Home DVR filter and put it on the input of the first splitter to enter your home, or better yet, ask Comcast to install one for you with the install.
Edit: I don't think you will have to mess with the coax/ MoCA WAN settings on the Actiontec, unless there are some unexpected problems. The WAN port is always active on the Verizon router.
Awesome, I thought it would work. My router runs 1.1 if memory serves. It will be nice to not have to buy another router as the actiontec seems to do a good job with Moca and my minis (No errors).

ldarcangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
fcfc2

Hi,
Please post your results after your install. Good luck

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
mae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldarcangelo View Post

It should work fine. I have that setup in my second home, where Mediacom (a company that exists to make Comcast look good) provides service. I'm using a AT Rev I, from my other house that has FIOS as a router, plugging the DOCSIS cable modem into the AT's WAN port. No need for a factory reset, just power it off, hook to the cable modem and the AT will autodetect (default setting-it can be turned off) whether the WAN connection is ethernet or coax.

My setup is Moto cable modem hooked to Mediacom, AT rev I, a Roamio Plus, two minis and an AT rev F set up as a bridge/second access point on the coax.

mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
... Mediacom (a company that exists to make Comcast look good)
chuckle!

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote