TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
cannonz

Kirstie

I thought it would be awful was surprised the pilot was great next episode very good.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
efilippi

My comcast no longer carries tvland so Ive missed it. I know its available on line someplaces but Im too lazy to go look.
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Kirstie Alley was on Howard Stern last week promoting it. And Howard was raving about it. So I was looking forward to seeing it.

I thought it was pretty good. Great to see Kramer...umm...Michael Richards back!

BTW, as usual, Howard did an awesome interview with her.
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Cainebj

i thought it was just OK

the weakest link is the actor playing the son
he's not very good.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I couldn't take the President's family sitcom with Jenna Elfman in it because of the nudnick that played the obnoxious son in that.

I am trying to get through a few of these to see if the son grows on me, or I just grow tired of him. The first two episodes were ok, but there is nothing I consider new or especially entertaining so far. I liked Veronica's Closet and Pearlman and Richards are always good. It's one of those shows I'm watching hoping I'm going to like it, but as of now I'm not convinced.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

pilot ok, but neither i, nor the sp, made it through the second episode. the writing was stale and predictable, and the actor playing the son wasn't up to the role compared to the rest of the cast (did i mention the less than stellar writing?). i had high hopes, very disappointing.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I couldn't take the President's family sitcom with Jenna Elfman in it because of the nudnick that played the obnoxious son in that.
I hated Josh Gad in that President show. I actually had no problem with the son in Kirstie.

I heard about the show from Alley being on Howard Stern. I would have never known the show existed without that interview. I thought the show was decent enough. Not sure if I'll keep watching it. It was nice seeing Michael Richards and Rhea Perlman.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I liked it. The son is the weakest link, but I like him just the same. I think he is playing the part he was given, being a fish out of water to these 3 crazy people. He surprised me.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Jonathan_S

I thought it would be awful, and I felt it was... (But I couldn't make it past about 50% of the first episode. Just zero interest in continuing to watch <shrug>)

Glad some of you are enjoying it; guess it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
hummingbird_206

I'm enjoying the show so far. Not crazy about the son, but hoping he will grow on me. Was happy to see Gilles Marini in the first ep, but he seems to have disappeared. Hope they bring him back. Need some good eye candy! My google skills suck, all I could find was this old article which mentioned that his role will be "recurring".
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

I've caught a few minutes of each of the last two episodes when I came up to go to bed. The wife usually has the TV tuned to TVLand or something when she dozes off. What I saw was pretty much on a par with the rest of the "original" drivel they air on TVLand at night. It seems like it's the place where over-the-hill actors go to die, sort of like the elephant's graveyard in the old Tarzan movies. They're all basically third-rate sitcoms that the other networks probably snubbed before they ended up on TVLand.

Decent sitcoms are hard to come by on any network these days. It's diffficult to come up with anything new or original. When they resort to base humor and sexual inuendoes for a cheap laugh I tend to change the channel.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
What I saw was pretty much on a par with the rest of the "original" drivel they air on TVLand at night. It seems like it's the place where over-the-hill actors go to die, sort of like the elephant's graveyard in the old Tarzan movies. They're all basically third-rate sitcoms that the other networks probably snubbed before they ended up on TVLand.
I disagree with this statement.

I think the original sit-coms on TV Land are a nostalgic throw back to the kind of comedies some of us grew up on featuring some of the actors that excelled in that style.

HOT IN CLEVELAND set the bar and was a surprise hit.
They are now trying to replicate that formula with other former sit-com stars.

I like The Exes for what it is.
I LOVED the Fran Drescher driven Happily Divorced and sorry they cancelled it to apparently make room for Kirstie.
Didn't care much for The Soul Man or what ever it is called.

So you might see it as the Elephant's Graveyard while I see as some good comfort food - yes - mindless, escapist and the kind of thing you can fall asleep to...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
mr.unnatural

I'll admit that I haven't sat through an entire episode of any of the shows you mentioned. I can only say that the limited exposure I've had to each of them didn't make me want to sit there for an entire half-hour. Perhaps if I had I would have a different opinion. For now, I'll pass. OTOH, I have seen quite a bit of Hot in Cleveland and I'm not the least bit impressed.

FWIW, if it's the kind of show I can fall asleep to, then it must not be interesting enough to keep me awake. I can't say I'm surprised that they canceled Fran Drescher's show. Her voice is like dragging your fingernails across a chalkboard. I can only take it in short spurts at best.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

It's no Hot in Cleveland, that's for sure. It's okay, but I have too much other TV to watch to add something less than stellar. (No, I haven't added any new shows this year. I'm spending my time on Torchwood...and previously Breaking Bad.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
efilippi

" too much other tv to watch..." is a problem though if you are looking for half hour sitcoms. Pickings are slim this year.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Well, when I run out, I do have The Big Bang Theory on my to do list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
sharkster

I'm liking it enough to hang around for now. Just saw the most recent episode and it was nice to see the kid has some talent, assuming that was him singing. Anybody who can sing well - I'm in.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I've caught a few minutes of each of the last two episodes when I came up to go to bed. The wife usually has the TV tuned to TVLand or something when she dozes off. What I saw was pretty much on a par with the rest of the "original" drivel they air on TVLand at night. It seems like it's the place where over-the-hill actors go to die, sort of like the elephant's graveyard in the old Tarzan movies. They're all basically third-rate sitcoms that the other networks probably snubbed before they ended up on TVLand. Decent sitcoms are hard to come by on any network these days. It's diffficult to come up with anything new or original. When they resort to base humor and sexual inuendoes for a cheap laugh I tend to change the channel.
Is bet the "big" networks would kill for Hot in Cleveland.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Well, when I run out, I do have The Big Bang Theory on my to do list.
BBT is an old, already watched rerun for me, similar to Friends and Seinfeld. Not the same as something new. No doubt actually better than the new, but new has its own attractions.