TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
ken17368

Starting and Ending Recording

With all the digital information in the video stream you would think a TIVO could tell when a program actually started and ended.
Especially since the TIVO clock is not synchronized with the cable and station clocks; and since many stations are not accurate on their schedules.

I frequently get 30 seconds of the previous program and minutes chopped off the end.
ken17368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's what padding is for. There is no signal in the stream to tell TiVo when a program is starting and ending. And even if there were it would have to have a tuner on that station to detect it anyway, so you might as well just pad your recordings.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken17368 View Post
and since many stations are not accurate on their schedules.
Keep in mind, this is by design for some networks. They throw the last 30-60 seconds of a show into the next time slot in an attempt to keep eyeballs (people who watch live TV) on that channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
With all the digital information in the video stream you would think a TIVO could tell when a program actually started and ended.
I love when people just assume something exists when it actually doesn't.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
tomhorsley

Actually there is show information in some video streams. My TV, for instance, can often tell me what show I'm watching from the ATSC broadcast, but I have no idea if the cable companies preserve that anywhere. I also tend to suspect any show info like that is simply inserted by the stations on the same inaccurate clock, and will be just as far off at the beginning and end of shows :-).

I just wish that TiVo would allow me to change the default recording options to 1 minute before and after so I don't have to manually change it every time I schedule a recording or season pass.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I just wish that TiVo would allow me to change the default recording options to 1 minute before and after so I don't have to manually change it every time I schedule a recording or season pass.

TiVo does allow this. Go into Season Pass -> change recording options. You should be able to set a recording to start early and/or end late. Same thing if you manually schedule a recording -- go into Season Pass and other options -> record this episode -> select options.

Unless... you're talking about starting late and/or ending early? Unfortunately that option is not available.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

TiVo does allow this. Go into Season Pass -> change recording options. You should be able to set a recording to start early and/or end late. Same thing if you manually schedule a recording -- go into Season Pass and other options -> record this episode -> select options.

Unless... you're talking about starting late and/or ending early? Unfortunately that option is not available.
I think the OP meant he wanted a system-wide option to change the start/end time, instead of having to do it for each individual show.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Especially since the TIVO clock is not synchronized with the cable and station clocks; and since many stations are not accurate on their schedules.

I frequently get 30 seconds of the previous program and minutes chopped off the end.
This could also be an issue with your cable provider. In my area Comcast is behind what is shown on FiOS by ten to twenty seconds. So while I don't get recordings cut off when not using any padding, if I were on Comcast with the same settings, everything would be cut off.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

How could Tivo do this? I would not trust the cable company sending a signal. Some networks/cable cos now have 15 second "shorts" that mess with DVR owners while fast forwarding. If tivo could precisely cut off/start exactly with the start of a show, I would expect the same kind of behavior from the providers.

Last edited by jrtroo : 12-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
tomhorsley

What we really need is the TiVo social network. Viewers watching live TV could "tweet" about overruns and schedule changes, and the network could push that info to other TiVos in the same viewing area :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
What we really need is the TiVo social network. Viewers watching live TV could "tweet" about overruns and schedule changes, and the network could push that info to other TiVos in the same viewing area :-).
By the time they knew it ran over it would be too late.

What we really need if for networks to stop playing these stupid games and actually start/end their shows on time. Or at the very least set the guide data to the proper length (i.e. 1:01) so we don't have to manually pad everything.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Digital Man

I do agree that in this day and age it's silly that we don't have a technology that knows when shows begin and end.

DM
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

With a TV industry built entirely around ratings it doesn't surprise me in the least. They don't want to make it easy for you to switch to another channel. They want as many eyeballs on their channel, and ads, as possible.