TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
stultus

New moca setup -- splitter questions

I'm setting up a new network. Here's my intended setup:

imgur. com/sMDR4y7 (sorry, please remove the space)

I am having a heck of a time finding an 8-way, bidirectional, 2 GHz splitter to make this happen. Do I actually need a >1 GHz splitter for the internal moca traffic to work? I wonder if the splitter will pass the higher frequency signals through the output end.
stultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stultus View Post
I am having a heck of a time finding an 8-way, bidirectional, 2 GHz splitter to make this happen. Do I actually need a >1 GHz splitter for the internal moca traffic to work? I wonder if the splitter will pass the higher frequency signals through the output end.
how about http://www.amazon.com/Directv-8-Way-.../dp/B0045DVIP4 for your splitter. It's designated for directv, but should meet your needs.

as for your diagram, i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the diplexers and the drop amp
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
stultus

Thanks for the splitter recommendation. Is that bidirectional?

Regarding the diplexing, I'm doing the same thing as mentioned in this post: tivocommunity. com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9822187#post9822187

In short, the cable modem in the office needs to be able to talk to the post-amp rest of the house through the moca network. Since the moca can't jump the amp, that's done by diplexing the moca frequencies back into the 8-way splitter.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

I would think it'd be best to place the amp at the POE. Then have a 3-way splitter go to your VOIP, cable modem, and 8-way splitter. That way the moca network is completely contained "after" the amp, so no bypassing is needed. And it'd give your 8-way splitter feeds a chance at better signal strength. At least I think, looking at the diagram.

If the 8 "rest of home" feeds have signal strength issues with that setup, I'd consider putting your VOIP and modem on the same leg and using a 2-way primary splitter to give those 8 feeds some extra juice.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
stultus

For some reason I thought it was "bad" to amp prior to a cable modem. If that's not the case, then I agree that your solution is more elegant.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

I'm not fully educated on amps, but you indicate a 5-42MHz return which is fairly standard for cable modem compatibility so that's usually all you need. I don't know what frequency the VOIP uses, though. Worst case, the VOIP leg gets split off first and you use a 2-way splitter for the rest.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote