Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Does the public get to vote at some point?
It doesn't appear that way.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
On Jewel's boobs? I vote yes!

Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #33
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
I don't think so. I don't think they've had a fan vote decide anything since the first season.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I guess the entire show is in the can already.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #35
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I don't think so. I don't think they've had a fan vote decide anything since the first season.
They had fan voting last season as well, I'm pretty sure.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #36
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Ok, the talent may not be up to the par set by last season, but this show is still definitely very enjoyable. Two great moments happened this week:
1) the Home Free/Filharmonic face off performing "I'm All Right"
2) Jewel's review of the Filharmonic performance from tonight.

That last one was hilarious, not only watching her brain catch up with her mouth, but then watching Ben looking over at her with the look like "Do you really hear what you are saying? Ok, then..."
Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #37
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Yeah, Jewel was hilarious. "I really missed a climax. Which gets a little frustrating when you’re not able to reach that.” She walked right into that, and didn't realize what she was saying until well after the guys did, and she was absolutely mortified. And then, of course, Nick Lachey hit the rimshot with “How dare you guys not allow Jewel to reach her climax!”

Loved the opening number last night, and then I thought that Home Free and Vocal Rush were excellent, whereas Ten and Filharmonic were fairly weak. Ten had been improving with each week, so this was kind of a surprise, but Filharmonic - as much as I liked them - have been trending downward (except for the Ultimate Sing-Off performances, which have been awesome).

Right now, I'd rank them 1) Home Free, 2) Vocal Rush, and 3) Ten
Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Do they rehearse every permutation of the ultimate sing off?
Old 12-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
I'm not sure. All I know is what we're told, that each week they prepare for the "Ultimate Sing-Off" in case they are in it. But I don't know how that works, or how much time passes between when the judges tell them versus when they actually perform.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
pkscout

Quote:
I've been wondering this too. I suspect that, except for the three pairings on Movie Night, they just rehearse the song by themselves and then somehow figure out who's going to start. All the others before Movie Night the two groups really just stood next to each other.

I actually liked the pairings they did for Movie night. The songs weren't on the iTunes album, so I scrapped the audio off my recording and added them.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I also wonder if the three judges really are making the decisions as to who stays and who goes.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #42
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
I also wonder if the three judges really are making the decisions as to who stays and who goes.
If they're not, whoever is in charge is doing a pretty good job. I haven't disagreed with a decision since they created the two different brackets (for all of two eps) that caused the old man doo wop group to get kicked off one group too early.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #43
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Oh, and Jewel's boobs are becoming a real star of the show as well.
Without giving too much of a spoiler, let's just say they're making a starring appearance tonight.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #44
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

So, anyone finish watching the show? Can't say I'm too surprised by the ending... as the episodes went along, it became more and more apparent that they should have won. They're not as good as Pentatonix, but who is? They aren't human! But, the winners are still very, very good, and I'd probably get some tracks from them if they continue to keep mixing it up. I certainly wouldn't have listened to them as they were before the show, based on the little clip they showed during the last episode. Yuck.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #45
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Didn't watch any of it other than some of the final episode. I liked Pat Benatar. I think she still sounds great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #46
busyba
The Funcooker

The gopher bit they did during I'm Alright was the best part of the whole season that didn't involve Jewel's breasts or climaxes.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #47
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Each Season Sing Off impresses me as it is by far the best reality singing competition show on TV. It does have the fluff/background of the performers which I may or may not fast forward through but that is all I use my FF button for. There is no results show (this season, can't remember how past seasons were handled) so no recording 1 hour to watch maybe 5-10 minutes. The judges comments are actually beneficial and maybe even too nerdy for the general audience but so much better than, "That was off the chain dawg!" They actually critique the contestants. I watched the entire finale including all performances. Now, I understand that AI makes a lot of money form the long drawn out results shows, but I actually dumped AI as even with a TiVo it was taking too long to watch a season.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #48
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
So, anyone finish watching the show? Can't say I'm too surprised by the ending... as the episodes went along, it became more and more apparent that they should have won. They're not as good as Pentatonix, but who is? They aren't human! But, the winners are still very, very good, and I'd probably get some tracks from them if they continue to keep mixing it up. I certainly wouldn't have listened to them as they were before the show, based on the little clip they showed during the last episode. Yuck.
I was out of town all last week, so I wasn't posting here, but no, not surprised. The winner was kind of foreshadowed all along, and they are definitely the most polished of the groups. I was pretty pleased, though, with how much Vocal Rush improved. They really got better and better as the show went on, and I was definitely rooting for them.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #49
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

I would have been shocked if Home Free didn't win, they were clearly the best of the bunch every episode. And while I knew early on they'd win, it was still fun to watch.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #50
laria
Librocubicularist

I thought it was pretty obvious that Home Free was going to win by the end. I mean, one of the other groups was a huge group of singers that already have other jobs being backup singers and the other one was a huge group of high school kids who are soon all going to be going their own ways.

Plus they were the most talented of the bunch.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #51
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

*bump*

I missed this news, but at the beginning of the month, NBC announced that The Sing-Off was coming back for season 5. As last year, it will be a "holiday event" show, so scheduling will probably be similar to or the same (multiple episodes over the two or so weeks prior to Christmas). (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...h-round-737232)

Auditions are occurring now, and the selected contestants are being asked to be available for shooting in LA "for 2-3 weeks between mid November and the beginning of December." (http://www.singoffcasting.com/)

The only part that concerns me: the audition page talks about the show being "revamped" and that the groups are allowed backing tracks. I hope they don't intend to change it from an acapella show to a generic "vocal group" show.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #52
busyba
The Funcooker

From the eligibility rules on the application:

"You may not be a candidate for public office and must agree not to become a candidate for public office from the date of this Application until one (1) year after the initial telecast of the last episode of the Program in which you appear, if selected as a participant."

Not really sure how that one is going to be enforceable, in particular the "one year after the last episode airs" part.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #53
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Still no audience voting, I assume. Looks like they'll have the entire show in the can before broadcast.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #54
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post

"You may not be a candidate for public office and must agree not to become a candidate for public office from the date of this Application until one (1) year after the initial telecast of the last episode of the Program in which you appear, if selected as a participant."
I think that's the Donald Trump clause.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #55
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The bad part is that Ben Folds tweeted out that he won't be a judge this year. I guess he had a schedule conflict.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #56
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post

Not really sure how that one is going to be enforceable, in particular the "one year after the last episode airs" part.
Most reality show contracts also have something called the "Five Million Dollar Rule"; if you reveal anything about the show in advance, the producers can sue for up to $5 million. (The amount comes from the original Survivor contracts, where they didn't want anybody from revealing in advance who won - back then, the final vote's result was revealed while they were still on location.) American Idol also has a "you can't sign a record deal with someone who isn't producing the show until three months after the finale airs" rule.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #57
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The bad part is that Ben Folds tweeted out that he won't be a judge this year. I guess he had a schedule conflict.
I hadn't caught that part yet (what I read originally said that it was unclear on the judges on whether they'd be returning or not), that's disappointing.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #58
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I hadn't caught that part yet (what I read originally said that it was unclear on the judges on whether they'd be returning or not), that's disappointing.
https://twitter.com/BenFolds/status/517443042228592640
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #59
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Dislike that Ben Folds will not be back this season. He has always been entertaining with helpful comments and he notices the small details.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #60
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Dislike that Ben Folds will not be back this season. He has always been entertaining with helpful comments and he notices the small details.
For me, Ben Folds was the only judge worth paying any attention to. I'd always FF through the others. If he's not there this year, I'll probably just listen to the performances and that's it.