TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #1
Pacomartin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 247
Future of CableCARD by EDITOR

You may be wondering about the future of CableCARDs given that Congress recently passed legislation that will repeal, as of December 4, 2015, the federal mandate for cable operators to use CableCARDs in their own boxes.

The Future of CableCARD

The TiVo editor tries to answer this question in the above blog.

I don't think that there is anything new to people following this issue, but to others who want to read about it for the first time, the TiVo corporate statement is valuable.

Longer term, we want to transition with the cable industry to a more modern, IP-based cardless security solution.

It is possible Roamio will be TiVo's last cableCARD based DVR (except for more storage).

__________________
RCN Premier Q Series 4, TCD750500 (4 tuner 500 Gb)
TiVo Preview (own tuner) instead of a Mini
Pacomartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacomartin View Post
You may be wondering about the future of CableCARDs given that Congress recently passed legislation that will repeal, as of December 4, 2015, the federal mandate for cable operators to use CableCARDs in their own boxes.

The Future of CableCARD

The TiVo editor tries to answer this question in the above blog.

I don't think that there is anything new to people following this issue, but to others who want to read about it for the first time, the TiVo corporate statement is valuable.

Longer term, we want to transition with the cable industry to a more modern, IP-based cardless security solution.

It is possible Roamio will be TiVo's last cableCARD based DVR (except for more storage).

I would be shocked if TiVo released a new platform based on CableCard, and I have been of that opinion since before the law was even passed. It's been clear for several years that CableCard is on its way out and that cable companies are moving towards IP distribution. It would be silly for TiVo to try to hang its future on QAM-based CableCard CA protected video distribution.

__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
To me, what this means is obvious.

1) Cablecards were a poor solution from the day they were released. I'm glad they exist, they allow Tivo to continue to function, but frankly they're not a great design, and they are (currently, and now forever) uni-directional - which flies in the face of the direction that content distribution is moving.

2) This will mean that even though the Editor believes that there will be no modifications to existing legislation concerning Cablecard support/distribution, the reality is that the poor support that we receive from the likes of VZ, Comcast, etc, will get even worse. Think about it. If they move to an IP based distribution model with respect to both authentication and decryption, Cablecard becomes obsolete, and only hangs around for legacy use. It will be further de-emphasized (if that's even possible) and probably more expensive. Since the Cablecard provisioning and management systems will over time become useless for anything beyond retail users, more and more of the cost of those systems will need to be added into the cost, and less of that cost subsidized by the cablecos own "system distribution". Meaning, since they won't use it for their own boxes, they may will move all the cost of it over to the pricing model for us retail users.

3) One thing it may finally do is open up the "DVR" market to more competition - though it will not likely be just like Tivo. I firmly believe that CableCard has been a pretty big obstacle to entry for other devices to get "conventional" TV. While many may still not accept it, more and more are in fact "cutting the cord". Go over to the Amazon Prime forums. Look how many Prime members have eliminated cable because they are now getting free Prime streaming Video. Personally, I think it's apples and oranges, but they are doing it - of that there is zero doubt.

I do see this is a major major threat to Tivo. I've been convinced that if the Roamio were not the last "conventional" Tivo that used technology such as Cablecard, it would be one of the last. Tivo revenue is totally dependent on MSO subs, and they clearly cannot survive based solely on the retail market. I believe the ratio of MSO (cable owned) subs vs Tivo retail subs is around 4 to 1. And it's mostly NOT in the US. As a 2013 Wired article stated "Here in the States, TiVo remains that box you bought five years ago then stuck in a closet when you replaced it with a far cheaper DVR from your cable company". Given the loss of Cablecard, combined with new competition such as Verizon Fios Quantum (a single DVR with 12 tuners, handling 10 TVs, 200hrs of HD content storage, streaming, mobile apps for all common devices) it seems like tough going for Tivo IMHO. Also note in that release the lack of any comment about deals to "continue" with any MSO other than Comcast. Which is exactly what I'd expect.

Tivo needs to really make some inroads FAST to be on board with VZ, ATT, Comcast, TWC, etc like yesterday or I fear this forum will end up being like a Commodore 64 fan forum. I really do think they had a chance to get ahead of this, but frankly their weakest points have always been around IP based content, network related issues, etc. Which unfortunately, are probably the most important areas moving forward. I know the MSOs (including VZ, etc) have not made things easy for VZ here in the US, but honestly, if you were in their shoes you wouldn't have either. Why would you willingly make cannibalization of your own service line easy and painless? That's the market Tivo is in, and it's a survival of the fittest market.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
To me, what this means is obvious.

1) Cablecards were a poor solution from the day they were released. I'm glad they exist, they allow Tivo to continue to function, but frankly they're not a great design, and they are (currently, and now forever) uni-directional - which flies in the face of the direction that content distribution is moving.

2) This will mean that even though the Editor believes that there will be no modifications to existing legislation concerning Cablecard support/distribution, the reality is that the poor support that we receive from the likes of VZ, Comcast, etc, will get even worse. Think about it. If they move to an IP based distribution model with respect to both authentication and decryption, Cablecard becomes obsolete, and only hangs around for legacy use. It will be further de-emphasized (if that's even possible) and probably more expensive. Since the Cablecard provisioning and management systems will over time become useless for anything beyond retail users, more and more of the cost of those systems will need to be added into the cost, and less of that cost subsidized by the cablecos own "system distribution". Meaning, since they won't use it for their own boxes, they may will move all the cost of it over to the pricing model for us retail users.

3) One thing it may finally do is open up the "DVR" market to more competition - though it will not likely be just like Tivo. I firmly believe that CableCard has been a pretty big obstacle to entry for other devices to get "conventional" TV. While many may still not accept it, more and more are in fact "cutting the cord". Go over to the Amazon Prime forums. Look how many Prime members have eliminated cable because they are now getting free Prime streaming Video. Personally, I think it's apples and oranges, but they are doing it - of that there is zero doubt.

I do see this is a major major threat to Tivo. I've been convinced that if the Roamio were not the last "conventional" Tivo that used technology such as Cablecard, it would be one of the last. Tivo revenue is totally dependent on MSO subs, and they clearly cannot survive based solely on the retail market. I believe the ratio of MSO (cable owned) subs vs Tivo retail subs is around 4 to 1. And it's mostly NOT in the US. As a 2013 Wired article stated "Here in the States, TiVo remains that box you bought five years ago then stuck in a closet when you replaced it with a far cheaper DVR from your cable company". Given the loss of Cablecard, combined with new competition such as Verizon Fios Quantum (a single DVR with 12 tuners, handling 10 TVs, 200hrs of HD content storage, streaming, mobile apps for all common devices) it seems like tough going for Tivo IMHO. Also note in that release the lack of any comment about deals to "continue" with any MSO other than Comcast. Which is exactly what I'd expect.

Tivo needs to really make some inroads FAST to be on board with VZ, ATT, Comcast, TWC, etc like yesterday or I fear this forum will end up being like a Commodore 64 fan forum. I really do think they had a chance to get ahead of this, but frankly their weakest points have always been around IP based content, network related issues, etc. Which unfortunately, are probably the most important areas moving forward. I know the MSOs (including VZ, etc) have not made things easy for VZ here in the US, but honestly, if you were in their shoes you wouldn't have either. Why would you willingly make cannibalization of your own service line easy and painless? That's the market Tivo is in, and it's a survival of the fittest market.

Unfortunately I think the retail TiVo market is dead when cable companies transition to IP. It's been clear from the beginning, and it continues to become even stronger, that MVPDs (cable, satellite, telco, and now internet based) want 100% control over the "customer experience". We as TiVo customers buy TiVos based on the user interface and features, but the FCC and Congress just want "third party hardware" on the market. The new "app" based ecosystem will satisfy regulators, I'm afraid, which means the "third party" hardware market will be nothing more than Rokus and game consoles. As everything moves to IP, that means it will be encapsulated in the app of the provider. Expecting raw IP video streams based on an open encryption and conditional access standard is likely a pipe dream. TiVo's only hope going forward will be to partner with MSOs and internet-based OTT providers to start building IP interfaces for network delivery of live and recorded content. DVRs will be dead when we're getting everything over IP because we'll never record anything ourselves.

__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Unfortunately I think the retail TiVo market is dead when cable companies transition to IP. It's been clear from the beginning, and it continues to become even stronger, that MVPDs (cable, satellite, telco, and now internet based) want 100% control over the "customer experience". We as TiVo customers buy TiVos based on the user interface and features, but the FCC and Congress just want "third party hardware" on the market. The new "app" based ecosystem will satisfy regulators, I'm afraid, which means the "third party" hardware market will be nothing more than Rokus and game consoles. As everything moves to IP, that means it will be encapsulated in the app of the provider. Expecting raw IP video streams based on an open encryption and conditional access standard is likely a pipe dream. TiVo's only hope going forward will be to partner with MSOs and internet-based OTT providers to start building IP interfaces for network delivery of live and recorded content. DVRs will be dead when we're getting everything over IP because we'll never record anything ourselves.
I agree with you mostly. I don't think Congress even cares, to be honest. I've been saying for a few years that I think Tivos retail days are numbered. It's why I'm terribly disappointed with their quality issues, as if they really want to make a fight for their life, they need to be virtually flawless. And they have not even been close IMHO. Only folks like on this site really care about Tivo. The general population truly thinks any time shifting device is a "Tivo".

The bigger issue is that because of the quality issues, and because Tivo has tried to strong-arm MSOs in the past, there is very little reason for an MSO to want to partner with Tivo in the IP-enabled content delivery market. At least in the US. Look at Tivo quarterly releases. Where is their sub growth really at? Not in the US - even with MSOs. I think Tivo burned those bridges, and they will never be rebuilt. When content distribution continues to shift away from a focus on predominantly live broadcast to menu selections that don't have time slots, Tivo really has no significant advantage over Roku, AppleTV or anybody else in terms of UI. Think about this. Roku sold 3.1 million devices - in a quarter. The same quarter when Tivo added 328 thousand.

I'm positioning my home right now to reduce TV cost with Tivos as much as possible. As of the end of this week, I will be paying Tivo zero (nothing left on anything but lifetime). I'll be paying VZ for content, and 2 cable cards. My intent is to then just let everything sit for at least 2 yrs. When this system starts to break down, I would likely temporarily move to a Verizon powered system (such as Fios Quantum TV) for a while to buy more time without investing. Because I think like you, I think that what we'll be using in 10 yrs for example, won't even remotely resemble what we have today. I have zero faith in CableCard beyond another 2 yrs. And think about the cost for me to replace what I have with "new" Tivo type stuff. Two Roamio Pros with lifetime, a bunch of Minis with lifetime... At current costs, to buy what I have right now would be an investment of $1933 including tax, plus lifetime service on the two Roamio Pros, which would be a minimum of another $800, for a total of $2733. That is IMHO simply absurd given the changing market and environment.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
trip1eX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,958
Meh as the article says cablecard operators have deployed 50 million cablecard devices into the wild. They can't replace those overnight.

And if tuners go then Tivo goes. That's the only area where Tivo has any advantage left. Tuner-based recording.

And considering that on-demand streaming means no skipping commericals then content providers have every incentive to help the industry move to that model of content delivery.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
Pacomartin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Unfortunately I think the retail TiVo market is dead when cable companies transition to IP.
I think TiVo knows that it's future long term is working with MVPDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
DVRs will be dead when we're getting everything over IP because we'll never record anything ourselves.
Everything in electronics has a lifespan. At 16 years old DVR's are reasonably healthy, and will probably last for as long VCR's.

Technologies don't really die. Look at AM radio which has been an obsolete technology for decades. People are still making money with AM radio. Live TV is not going to vanish in twenty years. It may contain more and more rubbish, as all the valuable programs shift to VOD where there is more control.

__________________
RCN Premier Q Series 4, TCD750500 (4 tuner 500 Gb)
TiVo Preview (own tuner) instead of a Mini
Pacomartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
Given the loss of Cablecard, combined with new competition such as Verizon Fios Quantum (a single DVR with 12 tuners, handling 10 TVs, 200hrs of HD content storage, streaming, mobile apps for all common devices) it seems like tough going for Tivo IMHO.
Just a point of clarification. Verizon does not have a single DVR with 12 tuners. They give you 2 6-tuner DVRs.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacomartin View Post
I think TiVo knows that it's future long term is working with MVPDs.
In the US, you sure can't see this by their actions. I see no evidence that Tivo realizes this in the US - or perhaps more accurately, maybe it's just that Tivo is willing to write off the US market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacomartin View Post

Everything in electronics has a lifespan. At 16 years old DVR's are reasonably healthy, and will probably last for as long VCR's.

Technologies don't really die. Look at AM radio which has been an obsolete technology for decades. People are still making money with AM radio. Live TV is not going to vanish in twenty years. It may contain more and more rubbish, as all the valuable programs shift to VOD where there is more control.
I can't begin to say how strongly I disagree with the above comments. DVRs are only "healthy" or of value if they can get content. This entire issue is about the absolute fact that the means of delivering that content is going to change. If you have the opinion that Cablecard (which is factually a core requirement for these units to get content) will be around in 16 yrs, I think you're going to be in an incredibly small percentage of believers. And if you take out the CableCard from either of my Tivo Roamios, then my home turns into a home with nothing other than a bunch of very very expensive (and frankly not as good) Rokus or FireTVs.

Second, AM radio requires no special means to receive that signal. It is not even remotely an apples to apples comparison. Technologies die every single solitary day.

How long were you able to get Betamax tapes? 8-track tapes? What was the lifespan of that technology? Laser Disc? Quadraphonic vinyl?

And nobody said Live TV would "vanish". Read the comment. I said that the "focus" would shift away from "predominantly live broadcast". Meaning the "emphasis" or the "focus". Not the totality.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Just a point of clarification. Verizon does not have a single DVR with 12 tuners. They give you 2 6-tuner DVRs.
Is that true? To be honest, I don't have one but just looked at the marketing material. Not really of any real consequence to be honest, as from a functional perspective it's the same thing, right?

Do you have any more real details about the product? I have not spent that much time other than on their product description page where it lays out the capabilities. I don't even know the pricing.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
Is that true? To be honest, I don't have one but just looked at the marketing material. Not really of any real consequence to be honest, as from a functional perspective it's the same thing, right?

Do you have any more real details about the product? I have not spent that much time other than on their product description page where it lays out the capabilities. I don't even know the pricing.
This is the box:

http://www.verizon.com/support/resid...e/vms1100.htm#

There is a user manual for it on that page that you can read through if you want. It very clearly shows that it only has 6 tuners.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
This is the box:

http://www.verizon.com/support/resid...e/vms1100.htm#

There is a user manual for it on that page that you can read through if you want. It very clearly shows that it only has 6 tuners.

Thank you! I have briefly scanned through it, and it's interesting. For example, audio sync capability built in to be either off, manual where you can dictate on the box itself, or auto where it takes a command from a connected device (such as an AVR or TV). Pretty interesting.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 4,181
There will be a market for an integrated view/launch of service provider content which may include linear video. Tivo is doing that somewhat today. The question is what kind API infrastructure will these providers allow.

__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
I have zero faith in CableCard beyond another 2 yrs.
Agreed with most of what you've posted here until you got to this statement - as mentioned in the blog, Comcast has committed to support cards for many more years (IIRC it was 2020 in the agreement). And as mentioned there are a zillion of them already deployed. I fully expect to be able to use my Roamio on Comcast for 4-5 years minimum and by then it's way more than paid for itself.

I would be much more concerned that as mentioned here, apps will be the way going forward and not open IP stream access. That is the battle that must be fought to keep the user experience in third party hands and not the MSOs, and as also mentioned above I don't think Congress or the FCC cares.

slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Agreed with most of what you've posted here until you got to this statement - as mentioned in the blog, Comcast has committed to support cards for many more years (IIRC it was 2020 in the agreement). And as mentioned there are a zillion of them already deployed. I fully expect to be able to use my Roamio on Comcast for 4-5 years minimum and by then it's way more than paid for itself.

I would be much more concerned that as mentioned here, apps will be the way going forward and not open IP stream access. That is the battle that must be fought to keep the user experience in third party hands and not the MSOs, and as also mentioned above I don't think Congress or the FCC cares.
slowbiscuit, I think we're "sort of" saying the same thing. I don't think our Roamios will be non-usable in the next 4-5 years (assuming Tivo is still doing OK, that is). However, what I mean is this. Yes, Comcast (and ONLY Comcast) has made that commitment. But stating that they will "support CableCard" means nothing other than in theory, CableCard will technically be viable for legacy systems. It does not mean that it will be supported even "as well" as it is today. It also doesn't make a commitment on how much they'll charge per CableCard. They could easily increase per card fees to $15 or $20. What could anybody do about it? If at the same time they released an IP based replacement of some sort, it would do nothing for Tivo.

And what if Comcast is the only one that does this. Nobody else has thus far jumped on that wagon. As for as replacing CC boxes they have, it all depends. In this case, it just might make more business sense to accelerate the replacement of CC supported equipment when that time comes, as they just might for a change see an offset in equipment rental subs.

My point is that beyond about 2 yrs, I think CC support itself will be somewhat more of an "orphan" than it is today. Not only will it not be better, but I believe in fact it will be much worse. Will it work? Yes - for a while. Will costs stay the same? Probably not - they'll likely go up. The MSOs are in fact allowed to pass along cost increases to their customers, and as a ratio, rented CableCards would see a higher per unit operating cost. But would it be worth, right now, spending the amount I mentioned to replace all my equipment? I don't think so. Over 3 yrs it would work out to $86/month assuming CC rental prices stayed the same. I just don't think I'd make that bet right this minute. For sure, in let's say a year, there is no friggin way I'd bet on it. With the ban being repealed, every day from now is increased risk that your investment will end up orphaned. Given the alternatives, the fact that from what I understand retail subs in the US have only outpaced churn in one quarter - the other quarters have seen sub decline, and the fact that the younger generation in particular is more apt to "cut the cord", it just is difficult to not see risk. If there were a contractual agreement between Tivo and ALL the major MSOs to not only continue support of CC until at least 2020, at the same "general" rates, then maybe. Like you, my existing stuff (including a couple minis I ordered with free lifetime, to retire a Premier and something else) will have ended up paying for itself. But that's because I started getting the use from them with the most recent addition other than those new minis was in March 2013. So I've already gotten almost 2 yrs of lifetime, etc from the 2 Roamios, the minis, the HD (at another location), etc.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 4,109
I guess maybe I am missing something. Do people believe the FCC isn't going to mandate a software replacement for cable cards? I assumed that was the next step, if that is so no reason a cable card DVR/device couldn't also support the new software system. My assumption was that TiVo's next DVRs would be able to do this (if the Roamio's cann't already do it).

Also I don't see the masses wanting to replace "live" TV with a completely on demand Netflix type system anytime soon. Delivering live TV via IP (like AT&T Uverse does) doesn't change anything versus traditional cable, AT&T's DVRs work just the same as cable and satellite DVRs do.

Frankly the 2 satellite companies would eat any cable company alive that moved to system where DVRs didn't work and the users couldn't record anything. They already use their superior DVRs as one of the main competitive edges and Dish even has commercial auto skip available for many channels.

__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella; 01-06-2015 at 04:40 PM.
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #17
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I guess maybe I am missing something. Do people believe the FCC isn't going to mandate a software replacement for cable cards? I assumed that was the next step, if that is so no reason a cable card DVR/device couldn't also support the new software system. My assumption was that TiVo's next DVRs would be able to do this (if the Roamio's cann't already do it).
I don't think there is the slightest possibility that Roamios could adopt a new "non-CableCard" system. From a technical aspect, I just can't fathom any possible way that you could reverse engineer back to a CC based unit being able to somehow integrate into a non-CC system. That is, other than the obvious of keeping all the CableCard provisioning and management infrastructure around just for CableCards. As for the "Next Tivo DVRs" being able to do this, I think the point is that retail subscriptions are simply insufficient. Look at Tivos financials. Look where the only growth is. It's overseas, and from MSO contracts. In the US retail market, take out Minis, and it's simply a pretty meager market share. So the question is, in the fact of ever increasing competition, will Tivo even bother to design, manufacture and release a new non-CableCard product? I think no. Clearly, that's just my guess, but it sure looks like a bad financial decision on their part.


Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Also I don't see the masses wanting to replace "live" TV with a completely on demand Netflix type system anytime soon. Delivering live TV via IP (like AT&T Uverse does) doesn't change anything versus traditional cable, AT&T's DVRs work just the same as cable and satellite DVRs do.
I simply don't understand why people keep saying this. Nobody is saying that "Live TV" will be totally eliminated. The point is that the fact is - and it is fact - viewing habits have changed dramatically, and where 20 yrs ago, it was ALL pretty much live TV in general, it has continued to change over time. The point is that there is monumentally less emphasis on live broadcast today than there was even 5 years ago. And that pendulum is continuing to swing in one direction. Furthermore, it's not that ATT's DVRs work differently than cable, Sat or VZ. It's that they ALL work differently than they used to, and more and more of their use is non-live. Keep in mind this. There have been more Rokus sold in a single quarter in 2013 than there were retail Tivos in 2013 and 2014 combined. That should get your attention. It has Tivos. Look at the feature sets added to our Tivos. What is it? Apps. On-Demand. No storage. Look at the on-demand libraries for VZ. Not PPV. On demand. Free. Look at Amazon Prime. Look at the current generation of kids turning into adults. No home phones. Only mobile. No cable. They stream EVERYTHING. Times are changing.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Frankly the 2 satellite companies would eat any cable company alive that moved to system where DVRs didn't work and the users couldn't record anything. They already use their superior DVRs as one of the main competitive edges and Dish even has commercial auto skip available for many channels.
This, is patently untrue. The Sat providers are under key constraints when it comes to bandwidth. They don't have the benefit of fiber. They also require line of sight, and they provide no real capability for broadband delivery.

This is old fashioned thinking. What was important 10 yrs ago, 5 yrs ago, or even 2 yrs ago is not the same is what is important today. Frankly, the biggest market play for the DBS folks is still in rural areas, where fiber is simply not feasible from a cost/benefit perspective. The more urban the environment, the least advantageous DBS will be - PARTICULARLY given the increased dependency on bigger and bigger pipes. DBS Broadband latency is a joke. It is fine for uni-directional or half duplex needs as it's "capacity" can be OK. But it's latency is utterly horrid.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 28,459
TC CLUB MEMBER
The current law still requires there to be a something that 3rd party hardware can use to access encrypted content. However it's a bit vague in the details so it doesn't specifically require CableCARDs.

I think the big issue is who gets to control the user experience. When they were working on the CableCARD 2.0 spec, which would allow 2 way communication, there was a major disagreement between the CE manufacturers and the MSOs. The MSOs wanted to use a technology called OCAP that allowed them to download a complete UI to the CE box. So basically all retail boxes would look and act exactly the same as the leased boxes. Eliminating any competitive edge a company like TiVo might have from it's unique UI. The CE manufacturers eventually rejected the spec and the whole thing fell apart.

These days we appear to be moving toward using DLNA CVP-2, which includes a similar feature called RUI (Remote UI) which allows the host to present the UI to the client as an HTML5 app. What's not clear, at least to me from the public documents, is whether or not the RUI is required or optional. If it's required then we're basically back in the same boat as OCAP. We'll be able to buy 3rd party hardware but the user experience will be completely controlled by the MSO.

In the intermediate there will be sort of hybrid devices. Hosts will use CableCARDs or integrated security to record linear TV channels, then feed those to CVP-2 clients using a RUI built into the host box. This RUI could be TiVo's, your MSO's, or whoever makes the host device. However eventually they want to move the host up the chain so that you're CVP-2 clients are communicating directly with the MSO head end. At that point the RUI will be completely controlled by your MSO unless there is some optional API that devices like TiVo can use to act as an intermediate to record content locally and serve up a RUI of their own to other CVP-2 clients around the house. I'm currently trying to get my hands on the actual CVP-2 spec to see if that's possible, but their website is currently broken and not letting me in.

__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #20
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Dan, My understanding is that it is in fact the blow-up and failure to get back on track for CC2.0 that resulted in the law change. Specifically, because the need for bidirectional communications and the failure to get agreement on a 2.0 spec that would allow CC to do this resulted in the effective abolishment of specifying CableCard as a solution.

The net result is that I think you and I are saying the same thing. They still have to execute on "some" technical means to split out authentication and enable 3rd party devices. However, there sure doesn't seem to be any requirements for what that must look like, or where the UI lives. OCAP isn't new, neither is DCAS. IIRC, the CVP-2 guidelines or references were just made public a year ago, so it's still early days yet. I know I'm not anywhere near as up to speed as you are abut this, but I'd tend to agree with your comments.

Times have changed, and even CE manufacturers have recognized this. I think in the long run what we'll see is a more homogenous suite of products with less differentiation in the interface (unfortunately) but more capability. Less dependency on local record/storage, and far more "on demand" feature/function. Video quality will likely decrease, as operators will sacrifice BitRate in favor of increased capacity, and because most customers just don't know any better. We all know people who have HD sets attached to HD boxes and watch channels in SD that are also available in HD. They just don't care.

I would also tend to bet that even if there is an optional API to allow for "Tivo-Like" local recording of content, the only real interested party will be a handful of exclusive and off the beaten track solution designers (such as for massive high end media centers perhaps) and somebody like Tivo - if they are still interested. The problem is not just whether or not it's technically feasible. The problem is whether or not the investment, manufacturing and support costs can possibly compete with a "cloud" solution that is portable, fast and easy to deploy, and has very little in the way of "last mile" or "local" operating expense. I don't think so.

Think of the average consumer, if they had what they would think is a "DVR in the cloud" (as opposed to what we have today - a DVR that doesn't do much without the cloud). If your local device fails, your content is protected. No binding of MAC ID etc that results in the destruction of recorded content if your local device fails. Portability of content. Deployment as fast as software deployment. Honestly, there are some very real advantages that MSOs will be able to use to their advantage. Sure there are disadvantages too, but remember your customer.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #21
BigJimOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,969
As it stands, STELAR specifically calls on a downloadable security replacement to the cablecard regime. A special panel must be selected this month and report their findings to the FCC by September (this year) with some kind of framework.

All told, from approved standard to full deployment across all MSO's it's going to take years. It wouldn't be surprising at all if the next Tivo (2 years?) still has a cablecard slot in addition to whatever the replacement needs on the hardware front (if anything), unless Tivo deliberately chooses to hold back on new hardware for a little longer.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #22
Pacomartin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
I can't begin to say how strongly I disagree with the above comments. DVRs are only "healthy" or of value if they can get content.
Strong opinions are good. Let me defend myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
This entire issue is about the absolute fact that the means of delivering that content is going to change. If you have the opinion that Cablecard (which is factually a core requirement for these units to get content) will be around in 16 yrs, I think you're going to be in an incredibly small percentage of believers.

And if you take out the CableCard from either of my Tivo Roamios, then my home turns into a home with nothing other than a bunch of very very expensive (and frankly not as good) Rokus or FireTVs.
I imagine a different scenario. More and more content will shift over to cable supplied Video on Demand. The cable companies don't have to supply VOD to retail TiVo's. Eventually there will be a tipping point, and the cable companies will find a way to deliver just Video on Demand.

I think that cable companies will keep CableCARD around for a long time. But the content will be getting of lower and lower quality.

I am big believer in companies giving away scraps, so they appease the regulators, while keeping the steak for themselves. By maintaining CableCARD for a long time, they can probably keep the better technologies in house, while pointing out to regulators that VOD was always a proprietary delivery technology.

It's like broadcast. If you kill it you will send government into speechmaking mode. But we are at the point where the top 10 television station owners (who own over 500 stations) have less revenue than ESPN.

__________________
RCN Premier Q Series 4, TCD750500 (4 tuner 500 Gb)
TiVo Preview (own tuner) instead of a Mini
Pacomartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
I didn't think that there were dependencies in STELAR that maintained the ban until a replacement is found. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the ban expires in a year, at which time we're back to the "hybrid" solution Dan mentioned, and the theoretical ability for MSOs to handle this however they want in the interim - knowing that a panel is being set up and something new will have to be agreed upon.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #24
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacomartin View Post
Strong opinions are good. Let me defend myself.



I imagine a different scenario. More and more content will shift over to cable supplied Video on Demand. The cable companies don't have to supply VOD to retail TiVo's. Eventually there will be a tipping point, and the cable companies will find a way to deliver just Video on Demand.

I think that cable companies will keep CableCARD around for a long time. But the content will be getting of lower and lower quality.

I am big believer in companies giving away scraps, so they appease the regulators, while keeping the steak for themselves. By maintaining CableCARD for a long time, they can probably keep the better technologies in house, while pointing out to regulators that VOD was always a proprietary delivery technology.

It's like broadcast. If you kill it you will send government into speechmaking mode. But we are at the point where the top 10 television station owners (who own over 500 stations) have less revenue than ESPN.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I think companies will keep CableCard only right up until the day when they can get rid of it. I don't think they're worried about goodwill, because other than this forum, I don't think anybody gives a rats behind about it. Certainly not congress, and honestly probably not more than maybe 1% of viewers.

It's all about cost here. But that said, even by your own argument, let's say your'e right. Let's say most content is moved out of channel broadcast to VoD type stuff. Like Discovery, NatGeo, all kinds of stuff. If that were not available on my Tivos right now, they would be gone tomorrow. And frankly, you'd never sell another unit, because the investment price would be totally off-kilter from the value.

But beyond that, MSOs do NOT want different authentication/decryption systems. They don't want more systems to support. I think we're all certainly somewhat mistaken and nobody can really foresee the future. But I'll say this. Two years ago I predicted what is happening today, as did many others. At the end of the day, I sure don't see any good news for Tivo here. Even in their own release, the most positive thing they had to say was an agreement with Comcast for a while.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #25
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
This, is patently untrue. The Sat providers are under key constraints when it comes to bandwidth. They don't have the benefit of fiber. They also require line of sight, and they provide no real capability for broadband delivery.

This is old fashioned thinking. What was important 10 yrs ago, 5 yrs ago, or even 2 yrs ago is not the same is what is important today. Frankly, the biggest market play for the DBS folks is still in rural areas, where fiber is simply not feasible from a cost/benefit perspective. The more urban the environment, the least advantageous DBS will be - PARTICULARLY given the increased dependency on bigger and bigger pipes. DBS Broadband latency is a joke. It is fine for uni-directional or half duplex needs as it's "capacity" can be OK. But it's latency is utterly horrid.
?? We were talking about pay TV not Internet access. The last time I looked the 2 sat companies had something north of 32 million subs (out of about 110 million households in all of America) and where stable or growing. So if you think Satellite TV is old fashioned I guess 32 million plus households are old fashioned.

__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 28,459
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
I didn't think that there were dependencies in STELAR that maintained the ban until a replacement is found. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the ban expires in a year, at which time we're back to the "hybrid" solution Dan mentioned, and the theoretical ability for MSOs to handle this however they want in the interim - knowing that a panel is being set up and something new will have to be agreed upon.
AFAIK the only thing STELAR did to the law that brought about CableCARDs was remove one line which said that MSOs were not allowed to use integrated security in their leased boxes. AKA "the integration ban". The law is actually quite vague. Most of the details are left in the hands of the FCC. I'm not sure what the FCC has mandated, but it's possible that BigJim is referring to some FCC mandate that came about from STELAR and not something written into STELAR itself.

I do know that there is a mandate in place that is going to require all MSO leased equipment to support an open IP based sharing system by September of this year. Actually it's June for the big guys and September for the smaller players. The industry has pretty much settled on DLNA CVP-2 as that standard. Initially DVRs or special gateway devices will act as the CVP-2 host and serve up their recordings/tuners to CVP-2 clients around the house. However their long term goal is to eliminate the local host and have a direct connection between the clients and the head end.

One thing that scares me about cloud based DVRs is the potential for imposed limitations. For example they could make it so you can't FF past commercials or so that shows can only be saved for X days. With a local device like a TiVo the user is still in control. They may lose some of the convenience of cloud based DVRs but some of us will be willing to trade those conveniences for the ability to retain control.

__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #27
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
?? We were talking about pay TV not Internet access. The last time I looked the 2 sat companies had something north of 32 million subs (out of about 110 million households in all of America) and where stable or growing. So if you think Satellite TV is old fashioned I guess 32 million plus households are old fashioned.
Yes, we're talking about TV - not just Pay TV. But with PayTV, guess what is normally bundled with TV? Broadband. And guess what is required for bidirectional functionality? Broadband.

You would also be wrong about "growing". Last quarter, DirecTV lost 28K US subscribers. And fully 20% of all DirecTV subscribers are in Latin America.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...m-higher-arpu/

Here's an article that as I said, directly links the risks to Satellite TV with their inability to deliver broadband. BTW, these are hardly "hack" publications or "fringe" editorials.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...wth-fades.html

Analysts predict 2015 is the year when total subscriptions (not just US) start going into constant decline....

http://www.businessinsider.com/these...w-dying-2012-2

You can't continue to look at the environment as if it were 1990. Everything has changed, and the pace of change increases every day.

Here is the question for you. This is even disregarding that every single report, financial report, analyst report, and projection sees tremendous challenges ahead for Satellite providers - let's disregard everyone else for a moment.

Fact #1: The modern customer (not Tivo fans like us) gets their content from a variety of sources. Only ONE of them is from traditional TV such as FiOS, ATT, Comcast, TWC, Dish or Direct.

Fact #2: IP content delivery devices such as Roku, Amazon FireTV, AppleTV are outselling Tivo and Dish/Direct combined probably by a factor of more than 10 to 1. Every one of those devices need broadband. Lots of it.

Fact #3: Entertainment/Infotainment is not the only driver for broadband. So are things like home automation (huge demand curve there), remote access of "all kinds of stuff", home banking, home everything, education, you name it. Broadband is not a "discretionary" item for most people any longer.

Fact #4: Every other provider beyond Dish/Direct has the means to deliver broadband at only a marginal additional cost over core Pay TV to the subscriber. And additionally, electing to NOT get the PayTV (or phone) simply results in a higher unit price for broadband. So, it is an influencer to give an economical advantage to those providers. It is not unfair. Satellite is - Satellite. It's the nature of the technology.

Fact #5: Dish and/or Direct, without explicit support from one of the MSOs or some other technology, can NOT provide similar broadband. It's simple math. Latency is a part of Sat data delivery. Distance is distance. That means, without broadband they also can't do PPV, digital content delivery, etc. IOW, they DEPEND on Broadband for their OWN service. Yes, there are some Sat broadband services. No, they do not compare in any possible world to something like FiOS, ATT, Comcast, etc.

Now, add to this the mix of rural/urban subscribers, and the picture starts to become clear.

This is NOT an indictment of Dish/Direct. I have nothing against them. It's just the reality. At this time, they just don't have a tool to compete for what is being asked, and their biggest opportunity is in under-developed countries and areas that don't have the benefit of infrastructure build-out.

The bottom line is that the market has changed. The "Pay TV" product that you thought of 10 years ago is not the same "Infotainment Product" that the industry is moving toward. If you try and look at things from a pure tunnel focused point to point comparison, you will be reactive and behind the times every time. The entire point is that traditional TV is merging with non-traditional IP delivered products. So if you try to solely look at the industry from just the perspective of what "used" to be the main products, you'll be left on the dock as the boat pulls away from shore.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #28
wmhjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 797
Dan, I'm right in line with you - including my fears. I do think that cloud based services "might" include "premium plans' with increased storage quotas, but beyond that, they all seek to turn what we enjoy into a commodity that will as much as possible fit broad needs. I think that will leave our current enjoyment in a highly uncomfortable positions.

wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 28,459
TC CLUB MEMBER
I really want to get my hands on the CVP-2 spec. I want to know if the RUI is required or if there is an alternate API client devices can use to access tuners/recordings on the host device. If there is a way to access the tuners of a host then CVP-2 is essentially everything AllVid purposed to be. If there isn't then retaining CableCARDs, or some sort of downloadable security system, will be necessary for 3rd party companies like TiVo to have any sort of competitive edge.

Stupid DLNA website! I contacted their admin and he says they're working on fixing it, but offered no date as to when they might be done.

__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #30
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
This is NOT an indictment of Dish/Direct. I have nothing against them. It's just the reality. At this time, they just don't have a tool to compete for what is being asked, and their biggest opportunity is in under-developed countries and areas that don't have the benefit of infrastructure build-out.

The bottom line is that the market has changed. The "Pay TV" product that you thought of 10 years ago is not the same "Infotainment Product" that the industry is moving toward. If you try and look at things from a pure tunnel focused point to point comparison, you will be reactive and behind the times every time. The entire point is that traditional TV is merging with non-traditional IP delivered products. So if you try to solely look at the industry from just the perspective of what "used" to be the main products, you'll be left on the dock as the boat pulls away from shore.
Well you are talking to someone who doesn't pay for any TV and is more than happy with just OTA access, so yes I guess I am behind the times. But I still don't know what your hang up with Internet access is maybe it is different in the rest of the country but plenty of my friends have Dish or Direct and use TWC for Internet access no issues at all. They either want the sports from Direct or want a good DVR or both. If TWC went to 100% IP delivery tomorrow what changes? They are still going to offer package of live TV for X dollars. And I don't know why you think Dish/Direct doesn't have PPV, they had plenty of PPV back when I subbed to Dish and that was without any Internet access now I don't think they can do VOD without Internet but like I said that is not an issue at least around here and if the FCC did their job and made rules that got multiple ISPs in most areas with open access it wouldn't matter anyway. Heck Dish must not be to concerned as they are just started up a limited package streaming option and they aren't providing any of the Internet access.

All that aside it doesn't mean I don't think OTT services are where the growth is. Just that I don't see them replacing traditional pay TV any time soon - just being another option. Even if traditional pay TV shrinks some I am betting it will still be around basically as it is today as an option 10+ years form now.

__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2015 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.
Page generated in 0.17801905 seconds (90.03% PHP - 9.97% MySQL) with 18 queries