TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
oldclyde

Transfers new Bolt from old Series 3

I've ordered a new Bolt and am planning on using 1 Cable Card and the Tuning Adapter from my existing Series 3 to get the Bolt set up. The Bolt and the Series 3 will both be on the same network in my house. Will I be able to transfer my existing recorded shows from the Series 3 to the Bolt? And then just return the remaining Cable Card from the Series 3. Or will I have to obtain a new Cable Card and Tuning Adapter for the Bolt, do the transfers and then return the 2 Cable Cards and Tuning Adapter from the Series 3? I'm not concerned with recording anything on the Series 3 after I get the Bolt up and running, so I'm not concerned with the Series 3 only having 1 Cable Card and no Tuning Adapter. BTW, I have TWC as my provider.

oldclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

As long as both the Bolt and the Series 3 are active on your account, you should be able to transfer shows between them even without a CableCard in them UNLESS the shows are copyflagged. Unfortunately, TWC tends to flag everything except for the local broadcast channels, so it's likely that the only recordings you will be able to transfer are ones recorded from the broadcast network channels.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclyde View Post
I've ordered a new Bolt and am planning on using 1 Cable Card and the Tuning Adapter from my existing Series 3 to get the Bolt set up. The Bolt and the Series 3 will both be on the same network in my house. Will I be able to transfer my existing recorded shows from the Series 3 to the Bolt? And then just return the remaining Cable Card from the Series 3. Or will I have to obtain a new Cable Card and Tuning Adapter for the Bolt, do the transfers and then return the 2 Cable Cards and Tuning Adapter from the Series 3? I'm not concerned with recording anything on the Series 3 after I get the Bolt up and running, so I'm not concerned with the Series 3 only having 1 Cable Card and no Tuning Adapter. BTW, I have TWC as my provider.
Slightly off-topic, but is that S3 of yours lifetimed?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

It will work perfectly.

Just get both machines up and running on the same network, then update each one of them with the TiVo servers.

Otherwise, one or both won't 'see' the other.

(P.S. I have 2 S3s with lifetime, Unitron....)

TiVo Roamio Pro - City, with FIOS
TiVo Roamio OTA - Country, with Antenna
(2) TiVo Series 3 - OLED - Semi-Retired
Lifetime Service on All

HD_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
jeffsinsfo

I guess I'll just piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one, since my question is very similar and I just want to make sure that what I'm planning to do will work:

I just got a Roamio Pro and have been using a Premiere XL4. I was planning to take the cable card out of the Premiere and put it in the Roamio, then get it reactivated with Comcast. Once the Roamio is working, I was planning to transfer my season passes (or are they simply "one passes" now?) to it, and then transfer the existing recordings from the Premiere to the Roamio. After all that, I will unplug the Roamio and probably give it to someone I know for Christmas.

Does that sound like the right order in which to do these things?

jeffsinsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #6
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsinsfo View Post
I guess I'll just piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one, since my question is very similar and I just want to make sure that what I'm planning to do will work:

I just got a Roamio Pro and have been using a Premiere XL4. I was planning to take the cable card out of the Premiere and put it in the Roamio, then get it reactivated with Comcast. Once the Roamio is working, I was planning to transfer my season passes (or are they simply "one passes" now?) to it, and then transfer the existing recordings from the Premiere to the Roamio. After all that, I will unplug the Roamio and probably give it to someone I know for Christmas.

I was with you up until the last sentence where after all the work you've done getting it set up that then you're going to give the Roamio away.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:

If someone else is going to be paying the cable bill for the connection that Roamio uses, probably better to leave the Premiere's cable card where it is, get another card from Comcast, and either return it to them when the Roamio changes ownership and get and set up a new card for the new owner, or see if you can get Comcast to pretend you brought it back to them and they turned around and issued it to the new owner.

Unless you really meant to say you were going to keep the Roamio and play Santa with the Premiere.

In which case I'd still advise getting a second card and leaving the one in the Premiere where it is for the time being, and establish that you have 2 properly working cable cards.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

Agreed- no need to do anything with the cc if all you are doing is moving over content and going online to move 1P.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
jeffsinsfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
I was with you up until the last sentence where after all the work you've done getting it set up that then you're going to give the Roamio away.

Oops. My bad. Of course I am contemplating giving the Premiere away, not the new Roamio.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
jeffsinsfo

Now I have to figure out why my transfer speed is so bad. Given where my router and modem are and the fact that I have only one TV and plan to have only one TiVo long term, I really didn't want to bother with MoCa and connecting via ethernet would be a pain. But the speed I'm getting transferring shows from the Premiere to the Roamio is painfully slow. There's some variation in speed, but generally it's taking longer to transfer a program than the program's length (i.e., a one hour show takes longer than an hour to transfer). Beyond that, I selected about a dozen shows to transfer last night before I went to bed. Only two transferred and there's no indication that there were even attempts to transfer any of the others I had selected. At this rate, it would take several weeks to transfer everything I had hoped to keep for later viewing.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Now I have to figure out why my transfer speed is so bad. Given where my router and modem are and the fact that I have only one TV and plan to have only one TiVo long term, I really didn't want to bother with MoCa and connecting via ethernet would be a pain. But the speed I'm getting transferring shows from the Premiere to the Roamio is painfully slow. There's some variation in speed, but generally it's taking longer to transfer a program than the program's length (i.e., a one hour show takes longer than an hour to transfer). Beyond that, I selected about a dozen shows to transfer last night before I went to bed. Only two transferred and there's no indication that there were even attempts to transfer any of the others I had selected. At this rate, it would take several weeks to transfer everything I had hoped to keep for later viewing.
Very odd. I frequently transfer programs from my basic Premiere to my Basic Roamio. The speed is about 85Mbps or 10 to 15 minutes per one hour program of 1080i content. There is a diagnostic on both boxes to show you the transfer speed. It's in the Network diagnostics section. Also, I can put the Premiere into Standby during the transfer. It doesn't have a cable card, but that didn't affect the speed.

Both are wired to wireless. No MoCA or Ethernet, but they both "think" they are using Ethernet.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
jeffsinsfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Very odd. I frequently transfer programs from my basic Premiere to my Basic Roamio. The speed is about 85Mbps or 10 to 15 minutes per one hour program of 1080i content. There is a diagnostic on both boxes to show you the transfer speed. It's in the Network diagnostics section. Also, I can put the Premiere into Standby during the transfer. It doesn't have a cable card, but that didn't affect the speed.

Both are wired to wireless. No MoCA or Ethernet, but they both "think" they are using Ethernet.
Yes, I was frankly surprised given some of the previous threads I read that made me believe the transfer, while requiring a lot of remote clicks, would be speedy.

At least I just encountered the fastest cable card pairing in my life. 5 minutes tops, and everything seems to be working properly. I remember multiple phone calls and tech visits for my Series 3, and a couple of phone calls for the Premiere.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
jeffsinsfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Figured out my problem. I was still using a TiVo's wireless G adapter (never felt the need to buy the N adapter since I only had one box and didn't really think about the speed of my network connection). Once I connected the Premiere via ethernet I got transfer speeds similar to what you mentioned.

Thanks For This Post: