TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
jmflu

Paid Amazon videos being added to my Season Pass?

I noticed this when I got an email that I had bought (for $2.99 a piece) episodes of a TV show that I had a season pass from and thought wtf?

Well it turns out my dad was watching a show of his that he has a million times on his season pass of it, and recently I had logged into my Amazon account to watch the Amazon prime streams.

Well it seems that they have added PAID (even with prime) Amazon versions of the TV show and without knowing any better my father began watching these versions and getting charged for each one.

I was refunded by Amazon but I still find this pretty slimy.

Is there a way to remove these from showing up in my season passes at least? Or do I need to disconnect my whole Amazon account from my Tivo?

jmflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you go to Settings->Channels->Video providers there are separate options for the paid and Prime versions of Amazon, so you can just disable the paid one and this will never happen again.

You can also set the individual One Passes to not show paid content.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
jmflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If you go to Settings->Channels->Video providers there are separate options for the paid and Prime versions of Amazon, so you can just disable the paid one and this will never happen again.

Thanks!

jmflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

They used to (back when Amazon videos were downloaded to the TiVo) require entering a 5-digit authorization code before purchasing/renting any content. No longer?

pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Jed1

Not all Amazon Prime content is free. There is a lot you have to pay for.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #6
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

Prime content is included in the cost of Amazon Prime, by definition. There is always an option to purchase Prime content but it can be watched for free if you're a Prime member.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Prime content is included in the cost of Amazon Prime, by definition. There is always an option to purchase Prime content but it can be watched for free if you're a Prime member.
That is not true as I am an Amazon Prime member. In order for the content to be free it will have a Prime label and the price will be $0.00. The rest of the content will have the option to rent or purchase.
I wish that everything was free with Amazon Prime as I would not need anything else but unfortunately only a portion of the Prime content is free.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's just a naming confusion. TiVo separates the two services into different options, so you can disable the pay service and only ever see the free Prime content.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
Not all Amazon Prime content is free. There is a lot you have to pay for.
All of Amazon's streaming video is called "Amazon Instant video". "Amazon Prime Instant Video" is the subset of "Amazon Instant Video" you get "free" access to if you are an Amazon Prime member - so yes all "Amazon Prime Instant Video" is free for Amazon Prime members.

And yes Amazon's naming convention is more than a little confusing. And has been indicated by others you can set your TiVo to only show Amazon Prime Instant Video content that is free for Amazon Prime members.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #10
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

Quote:
That is not true as I am an Amazon Prime member. In order for the content to be free it will have a Prime label and the price will be $0.00. The rest of the content will have the option to rent or purchase.
I wish that everything was free with Amazon Prime as I would not need anything else but unfortunately only a portion of the Prime content is free.
If it's not marked with a Prime label it's not "Prime" content.

As others have observed, Amazon Instant Video is the term for Amazon's streaming service and Prime Content is the term for subset of Amazon Instant Video that's free for Prime members.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

you just have to be careful with the settings. It's possible to have Amazon Prime and to set the TiVo to include non-Prime (i.e. stuff you have to pay for) shows/episodes.

Remember, not all episodes of all shows may be Prime. Commonly, older ones will be, but more recent ones won't. Also, a show that is Prime today may not be next year.

Be careful with your settings so it's not too easy to purchase something when you don't intend to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
ajwees41

Quote:
That's just a naming confusion. TiVo separates the two services into different options, so you can disable the pay service and only ever see the free Prime content.
mine is set that way and paid options still show up.

ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflu View Post
I noticed this when I got an email that I had bought (for $2.99 a piece) episodes of a TV show that I had a season pass from and thought wtf?

Well it turns out my dad was watching a show of his that he has a million times on his season pass of it, and recently I had logged into my Amazon account to watch the Amazon prime streams.

Well it seems that they have added PAID (even with prime) Amazon versions of the TV show and without knowing any better my father began watching these versions and getting charged for each one.

I was refunded by Amazon but I still find this pretty slimy.

Is there a way to remove these from showing up in my season passes at least? Or do I need to disconnect my whole Amazon account from my Tivo?
Slimy? How so? You can't purchase anything without knowing it. It is very clear that you are purchasing something and the price you are paying for it. There is nothing slimy about it.

I would setup a PIN that is required for purchases from Amazon. Then your Dad can't purchase things like that.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
They used to (back when Amazon videos were downloaded to the TiVo) require entering a 5-digit authorization code before purchasing/renting any content. No longer?
They still do but you need it setup that way.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
Jed1

Quote:
How do you do that? The last time I looked I have two apps on my Premiere, one is the old Amazon Instant which I believe is the download version and the other is the Prime streaming option.
Unless this changed recently, I never seen an option to disable the paid version on my TiVos. I can select Prime only on my Amazon account but when I launch the Amazon app on my Premieres I see both Prime and paid content.

I do see that there is two Amazon apps in My video providers but I assumed one was for the old download service. If I uncheck the Amazon Instant video app would that make the paid selections disappear?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes Amazon Instant is the paid stuff.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #17
Jed1

Quote:
Yes Amazon Instant is the paid stuff.
Thanks. I was under the assumption that the one app was the old download version. I do have my Amazon Prime account set up to require a 5 digit password to purchase any content.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
I will have to confirm this again, but in the past, it sure seemed to me that stuff that I can get via Comcast OnDemand does NOT distinguish (in the Tivo UI before it goes to the OnDemand UI) between paid and free. So I just know "if it is a recent TV episode, it's likely free"..

e.g. when exploring a show and looking at the episodes.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #19
pfiagra

Quote:
Thanks. I was under the assumption that the one app was the old download version.
It essentially is, except that it is now only streaming (no more downloading).

pfiagra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I will have to confirm this again, but in the past, it sure seemed to me that stuff that I can get via Comcast OnDemand does NOT distinguish (in the Tivo UI before it goes to the OnDemand UI) between paid and free. So I just know "if it is a recent TV episode, it's likely free"..

e.g. when exploring a show and looking at the episodes.
There is an option in the 1P labeled "Rent or Buy" with the option for Include or Don't Include. I assume this enables/disables paid content on a per-1P basis. I have it disabled by default and I don't see the paud episodes from Vudu unless I filter to "All Episodes"