Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #61
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
We thought Amy shouldn't help the doctors because they were more of a threat, but in the end she was right--if you have to help them, they're not that good.
In the interviews I listened to, both Jason and Amy and Travis and Nicole said that they had always told each other that "If we can't win, we want you to win" so they basically always helped each other with the hope that one of them would have a shot to win in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
They said they didn't know the currencies, then as far as I remember, they were just done. No explanation about how they figured it out, no anything really.

Previous years have used the final puzzle as sort of a flashback to previous cities, but unless I somehow missed it, there was none of that this year.

I heard Peso, and one other currency talked about, and then they were done.

-smak-
I'm guessing that they want to use that final challenge as a way to get all the teams in the same place at the same time and edit it to appear suspenseful as to who will win. But with this particular one, it didn't work out that way, and there was never any suspence, so they just didn't show much of it because it really didn't matter.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #62
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I figured that currency challenge had that element of a puzzle where that stuff would really only fit together one way, and if you knew all the currencies it would make it easier. The part I wasn't so sure of was getting them in the right order.

The totem poles you would eventually get right, but I didn't get a sense as to whether the poles (or pipes or whatever) they were constructing them on were unique in any way that only one type of currency would fit that pole, kind of forcing the order to be correct, too, if you could accurately construct the totem pole.

I also kind of figured that Travis and Nicole were so far behind they just sent them to the finish line without even attempting that final challenge.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #63
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't look closely at the totem poles, but I got the impression when Phil was showing what the completed solution would look like that the artwork for each pole was different, but that the pieces within one pole were consistent. If that were the case, I'd be inclined to group the poles by similar artwork (color and design) and maybe be able to figure out each word from the groupings. (It wouldn't help with the ordering, of course, so I'd be screwed that way.)
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #64
smak
TV MA SLV

Don't they all get American Dollars? Would the local currency ever even come up if they do get paid in $?

-smak-
smak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #65
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Don't they all get American Dollars? Would the local currency ever even come up if they do get paid in $?
They have to convert to local currency at times. The Cowboys had an issue with that in a previous race that cost them because they got the wrong currency or something like that.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #66
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Jason and Amy said that challenge took them between 1-2 hours, and that they were a little over halfway done when Tim and Marie showed up. They also said that challenge was much more difficult than it appeared on TV. They said they didn't know a couple of the currencies, and they only were able to complete it because the way the pieces fit together with the ones they did know, it essentially left them only a couple of options for the last two so they were able to figure it out.
That's funny, because the way I inferred it, it did seem more like a jigsaw puzzle kind of thing (figure out which pieces go together) than remembering the various actual words for the currencies..

Though I guess the jigsaw puzzle idea doesn't help with the ORDER they initially go in.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #67
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Jeopardy is 100% game show, because you see everything that happens. Amazing Race, Survivor, ad nauseum are game show for the contestants, entertainment show for us. Especially for the shows where it's all filmed before anything is shown, the producers try to tell the "story" in the most entertaining way possible.
While I get that, can't they tell the story as entertaining as possible without bending the truth (or outright lying)? In the case of the Afghanimals, it appears they were far worse in lying than we saw, which made them popular with some.

Not a big deal really, but I just knew that they weren't just the fun people that some seemed to think they were, and the ER docs whining about them was justified.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #68
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by type_g View Post
yeah i never watched the after interview things and those insights basically tells the other side of the story and make things make a little more sense. Decent season, can't wait for the next in February.

PS - DevDogAZ and bacevedo you have football i have basketball !!!!
Go Catssssss time for BASKETBALL SEASON
And a #1 in the polls! Our best team since 1988.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #69
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
....Unfortunately I knew the Afghanimals weren't going to win so that spoiled it a little bit for me.

I hope we never see the Docs again. I know editing can distort things but I can't stand bitchy, whiny guys like that. And I sure wouldn't want Nicole treating me in the ER or even for a cold.

Pinky and No Brain grew on me during the race, I wouldn't have minded if they had won but overall I'm happy with the outcome.

I'm not really looking forward to all returning teams on the next race.
This, this, this and this. I knew the Afghanimals were in the next race so they could not have won....broke my heart

I would have been happy with either of the first two teams winning but Amy and Jason worked very well together, whined the least and were the most likable of the nearly all the starting teams. Glad they won...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #70
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
This, this, this and this. I knew the Afghanimals were in the next race so they could not have won....broke my heart
It's breakin' my heart they are in the NEXT race too
Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #71
NJChris
Moogs!

I liked the Afghanimals... There, I said it...
NJChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #72
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
AFAIK, there has been no official announcement yet about who will be on the next season's show. Teams shown during the commercial about next season are not necessarily going to be in the next season.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #73
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
AFAIK, there has been no official announcement yet about who will be on the next season's show. Teams shown during the commercial about next season are not necessarily going to be in the next season.
No confirmation from CBS, but photos of teams at locations and details about what they were and the tasks along the first 2 legs showed up in November.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #74
Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Jeopardy is 100% game show, because you see everything that happens. Amazing Race, Survivor, ad nauseum are game show for the contestants, entertainment show for us. Especially for the shows where it's all filmed before anything is shown, the producers try to tell the "story" in the most entertaining way possible.
Not really disagreeing with you but I was at a Jeopardy taping where Alex didn't understand/wasn't familiar with a contestant's (wrong) answer and they went back and retaped his reaction so he could be patronizing about the contestant getting it wrong, instead of sounding like he didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm kind of bummed about the Afghanimals coming back (seemed like multiple teams from this season maybe?). When Phil asked the drs about how their kids were going to feel seeing the show, I was half-expecting the guy to say "oh *****, that's right, I completely missed the point of coming on this show because I'm just going to look like a jerk."
Old 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #75
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I wanted Pinky to win..
Her partner was a fool not to renegotiate the 60/40 split during the last leg. All he had to do was sit down and demand 75/25, him.
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #76
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb And Number2 View Post
Her partner was a fool not to renegotiate the 60/40 split during the last leg. All he had to do was sit down and demand 75/25, him.
How was that going to work? He sits down and refuses to continue racing unless she agrees to modify the previous agreement? And he then costs himself money if she refuses and he sits there and lets someone else pass them?

Frankly, he is lucky she was willing to give him 40%. She did all the work to get them on the show. The only reason he was cast is because of her personality. He was a bump on a log and would never have been cast without her. So the fact that he basically got to show up after she did all the work, go on a trip with her, and keep 40% of their winnings is a huge win for him.