TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
timckelley
TCFer

Oh no, I may have spoken too soon without testing everything. I'm having trouble getting live TV to work. There's no signal, but if the cable is only partially plugged in I do get a signal, but the video quality isn't that great, and the sound mostly out, except sporadic bursts of sound.

I guess I'm going to try plugging the cable straight to the TV to rule out the cable signal itself being bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #32
timckelley
TCFer

No, the signal is fine when it goes straight to the TV. Theoretically it could be the red/white/yellow cables going from the TiVo the TV, but when the coax is only partially screwed into the TiVo I get a partial signal, and all the way in I get no signal, so I don't think it could have anything to do with the red/white/yellow cables. I wonder if the TiVo tuner is malfunctioning.

As I speak, my wife's To Do list is going start recording blankness in one minute from now.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #33
timckelley
TCFer

Good news, I think. I restarted the TiVo, and live TV works now. What the problem might have been, and you experts might be able to opine on it is: after changing the power supply and hooking up the hard drive, when I powered it on, I didn't have the cable or my wireless adapter hooked up.

The first thing it did after it booted, is it asked me to set up a network connection. I did so, and then while setting it up it told me I had no wireless adapter connected, and that's when I realized oh, I didn't plug it in. So I plugged it in and finished setting it up.

Eventually I went to Live TV, and it said oh, no signal... I didn't have the coax plugged in. So I plugged it in and all the problems above happened.

So maybe when rebooting a TiVo, I need to have the coax plugged in already? Maybe that's why my latest reboot worked - because by then the coax was in.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #34
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Old 12-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #35
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Good news, I think. I restarted the TiVo, and live TV works now. What the problem might have been, and you experts might be able to opine on it is: after changing the power supply and hooking up the hard drive, when I powered it on, I didn't have the cable or my wireless adapter hooked up.

The first thing it did after it booted, is it asked me to set up a network connection. I did so, and then while setting it up it told me I had no wireless adapter connected, and that's when I realized oh, I didn't plug it in. So I plugged it in and finished setting it up.

Eventually I went to Live TV, and it said oh, no signal... I didn't have the coax plugged in. So I plugged it in and all the problems above happened.

So maybe when rebooting a TiVo, I need to have the coax plugged in already? Maybe that's why my latest reboot worked - because by then the coax was in.

Nah, the more likely explanation is gremlins.

I'm not kidding.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So the 240 is working with the 540 supply in it?

If the drive in the 540 is a Maxtor, then it's probably got a slightly higher LBA number than Seagates and WDs and such that are supposedly the same GB number, which means the image from the Maxtor won't quite fit on the other brands unless you go to a higher GB number.

If the 540 quit working on the guy recently, it may be that there's nothing actually wrong other than it failed when it tried to switch to the alternate boot partitions while trying to upgrade itself from 9.3.2b-... to 9.3.2c-...

Let's talk about fixing the 240 supply and putting it back where it belongs.

Then we'll get the 540 running again.

Once all that's out of the way we can start planning global domination.
I've always liked the way you think.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #37
timckelley
TCFer

So I guess fixing the 240 supply must involve replacing capacitors or something. Maybe that's why you were asking about soldering irons, which I've never used.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #38
unitron

Quote:
So I guess fixing the 240 supply must involve replacing capacitors or something. Maybe that's why you were asking about soldering irons, which I've never used.
Well, that was the way I fixed mine.

And my 540 supply.

And an S2 dual tuner supply.

And an S3 supply.

And the LCD monitor I'm using right now that someone left on the curb for the garbage man.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go online to tivo.com, go to support, click on chat, eventually you'll get somebody, they'll ask if you have an account already (although it doesn't matter for the question you're going to ask), so tell them yes (I just have my name, address, phone number, and email address tied to the account in Notepad and copy and paste when they ask), and then tell them you need to know the account status of--insert the 540's TSN here.

If it does and you want to add it to your account, you'll have to get it working first.
I'm now in the queue for a chat session to start with them.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #40
timckelley
TCFer

Welp, the answer is that this TiVo has no service on it, so it doesn't seem worthwhile for me to repair it. I suppose if I want I could salvage the hard drive in it, but it's probably not a very big hard drive. Plus according to the owner, the hard drive is malfunctioning (his best guess), so even that may not be worth salvaging.

I'm still thankful that I could use his power supply though.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
unitron

Quote:
Welp, the answer is that this TiVo has no service on it, so it doesn't seem worthwhile for me to repair it. I suppose if I want I could salvage the hard drive in it, but it's probably not a very big hard drive. Plus according to the owner, the hard drive is malfunctioning (his best guess), so even that may not be worth salvaging.

I'm still thankful that I could use his power supply though.
Okay, can I have the front panel?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah! Send the front panel to unitron! He deserves it for his heroic efforts!

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #43
unitron

Actually I was half kidding, 'cause I figure the TiVo guy would probably fall off during shipping.

What he needs to do is send me the 240 supply to recap.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #44
timckelley
TCFer

Well just to verify if I understand what the TiVo guy should look like, here is the front of the free broken TiVo:

I actually put the broken power supply in it (i.e. swapped the two power supplies), so I don't think I have any value in this 540 TiVo (which has an apparently, according to the original owner, faulty hard drive, and my unworking 240 power supply, and maybe a good motherboard). I probably was going to dispose of this TiVo, but if you have any value in it, I'd be happy to send it.

True, as you say, the power supply could be repaired, but I'm not sure why I would need an extra power supply, since this extra TiVo doesn't have service on it anyway.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #45
ggieseke

If you make it down to Houston occasionally buy the caps, bring it with, and send me a PM. I'll solder it up for you.

Spare parts are always nice to have around. Given the age of the donor supply it may have a banana peel lurking in its near future.

Yeah, give Unitron the faceplate.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote