Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #151
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Another fave of mine: Ashley Williams (Currently in something called Wedding Band and soon to be on * SPOILER *
Unfortunately Wedding Band was canceled after it's one season. Why did you spoiler that? She's been on it many times, and for all we know any upcoming appearance could be a flashback.

Oh and Ashley Williams is super hot, too:

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 12-11-2013 at 02:01 AM.
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #152
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Tiffani Thiessen qualifies for this thread for another month or so. She turns 40 in January. She currently stars in White Collar:

Edit: Stupid ForumRunner formatting issues.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 12-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #153
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Tiffani Thiessen qualifies for this thread for another month or so. She turns 40 in January. She currently stars in White Collar:
Does that mean that in a month we have to get the mods to move this post to the other thread?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #154
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Why did you spoiler that? She's been on it many times, and for all we know any upcoming appearance could be a flashback.
Because she hasn't been on in 2013 (which may make it not fit this thread) and I heard about it through other sources, so that's the rules of this forum. Some people may not want to know about an upcoming appearance until it happens.

Was it a big deal to click to see the spoiler?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #155
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Because she hasn't been on in 2013 (which may make it not fit this thread) and I heard about it through other sources, so that's the rules of this forum. Some people may not want to know about an upcoming appearance until it happens. Was it a big deal to click to see the spoiler?
Nope. Not a big deal. I was just curious. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #156
kettledrum

Quote:
I can't believe no one has posted Kristin Bell!

It took that long to get Kristen Bell added?
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #157
cherry ghost

saw Amy Smart in a commercial for an upcoming returning show

cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #158
andyw715

Jenna Dewan-Tatum, 33 witches of east end

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #159
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
It took that long to get Kristen Bell added?
In my massive amount of posting yesterday, I skipped over her because I forgot she was still on a TV show. My bad.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #160
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
In my massive amount of posting yesterday, I skipped over her because I forgot she was still on a TV show. My bad.
Just don't let it happen again! I am watching you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #161
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I went to high school her brother Skyler. (we knew each other but weren't close friends) She came to his graduation. This was during her run on 90210 so it was a big deal at the time.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #162
domat

Last year of eligibility for Victoria Smurfit next year she moves to the "old" thread-- Dracula

domat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #163
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Jennifer Love Hewitt (age 34) currently stars in The Client List:

Seeing a few wrinkles there....tsk, tsk, tsk...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #164
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

So I just got a PM from the site owners saying that we are not to allow any images posted that might be copyrighted. They specifically pointed to threads like this one.

"It's been brought to my attention that we're seeing images that could be copyrighted being posted in the forums. This is explicitly banned in the terms and always has been, so we're not changing anything on anybody."

"If there is even a tiny doubt that the image might be copyrighted, the rule applies."

So I guess until I hear more, only post a pic if you took it yourself...
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #165
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

/thread
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #166
jradosh
Newlywed

That nasty collection of flesh underneath JLH's armpit...

(yeah, yeah... I know...)

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #167
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I think we're fine under the Fair Use doctrine. There's no commercial use here, the images are used for criticism/comment, and it would be tough for any of the copyright holders to argue that use of these photos on a registration-only interest bulletin board would have an affect on the market for the photos. After all, they're all freely available on any internet search engine (I am not saying that their availability on search engines affects their copyright status, because it does not, but it does make the possibility of seeking damages from this site ludicrous.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 107 of the US Copyright Act

the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #168
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Another of my favorites is Lizzy Caplan!

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...w=1366&bih=642

Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #169
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Jennifer Love Hewitt (age 34) currently stars in The Client List:
Man I was in lover with her when I was younger and she was on Party Of Five. Also Katie Holmes on Dawnsons Creek. Apparently I have a soft spot for beautiful brunettes with low self esteem.

Edit: Speaking of which Katie Holmes is 34....

https://www.google.com/search?q=kati...=1920&bih=1072

And made a brief appearance on a recent episode of How I Met Your Mother, does that count?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #170
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
That nasty collection of flesh underneath JLH's armpit...

(yeah, yeah... I know...)
Why are you looking at her armpits?!?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #171
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I think we're fine under the Fair Use doctrine. There's no commercial use here, the images are used for criticism/comment, and it would be tough for any of the copyright holders to argue that use of these photos on a registration-only interest bulletin board would have an affect on the market for the photos. After all, they're all freely available on any internet search engine (I am not saying that their availability on search engines affects their copyright status, because it does not, but it does make the possibility of seeking damages from this site ludicrous.)
What would be your analysis of the fact that while the use of the pictures here does not in and of itself constitute a commercial nature, the fact is that this site sells advertising and makes money off page views, and so the site probably makes more money when there is a thread like this that prompts lots of page views.

In other words, is it a valid application of the Fair Use Doctrine to post a picture for comment or criticism and then sell advertising on that same page, which is in effect using the copyrighted image (and the comments/critiques) to drive commercial traffic?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #172
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
What would be your analysis of the fact that while the use of the pictures here does not in and of itself constitute a commercial nature, the fact is that this site sells advertising and makes money off page views, and so the site probably makes more money when there is a thread like this that prompts lots of page views.

In other words, is it a valid application of the Fair Use Doctrine to post a picture for comment or criticism and then sell advertising on that same page, which is in effect using the copyrighted image (and the comments/critiques) to drive commercial traffic?
Standard disclaimer: I am a lawyer, but I'm not a copyright lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

I think that's a good argument, but I'm not sure how close a call it is. I do know that in any close call, the tie goes to the public interest, and not the copyright holder (for better or worse). I would posit - and I would crunch the numbers, but there doesn't seem to be any way to easily aggregate this from our end - that even a thread with relatively high page views is dwarfed by the total amount of page views for the forum (or even the subforum), and further, that the vast majority of the page views come from a small subset of users, both of which would tend to vitiate (big lawyer word!) that argument.

I also think the usage here of the photos has absolutely no effect on the market for the images. For instance, for each photo that I've in-lined here, I've perused hundreds of images of that same actress, if not more. Most of these shots are red-carpet type, and they are just one of thousands of similar-type shots, which, again, shows what little market there is for an individual image.

There is probably a better argument for the more artsy shots like some of the Alison Brie ones from earlier.

Of course, there's an easy way around this entire argument: "Transformative Usage". Just use .gifs.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #173
debtoine
WTTWDC

Daniela Ruah from NCIS: Los Angeles

T

debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #174
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

So I guess until I hear more, only post a pic if you took it yourself...
D'oh! That's gonna put a real damper on threads like this. Perfectly understandable, though.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #175
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Every picture is copyrighted, even if you took it yourself.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #176
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

You mean Obama's selfies are copyrighted?!?!?!

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #177
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
You mean Obama's selfies are copyrighted?!?!?!
Actually that probably depends on whether he was taking them in the role of a private person (in which case yes, he'd automatically have copyright on them) or if he was taking them in the role of President of the United States, in which case probably not.

(cribbed from wikipedia) "a work prepared by an officer or employee of the" U.S. federal government "as part of that person's official duties" In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act,[2] such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law.

So an official Presidental selfie might be considered part of his official duties and therefore inelegible for copyright protection.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #178
andyw715

Aren't the majority of these photos links? Is that an implied citation to the owner?

Does google license all the photos it retrieves when searching for hawt actresses in their 30's?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #179
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Aren't the majority of these photos links? Is that an implied citation to the owner?

Does google license all the photos it retrieves when searching for hawt actresses in their 30's?
They're mostly hotlinked to the place they are originally found. Sometimes, if that site doesn't allow hotlinking, then you have to copy the picture and rehost it somewhere. Either of those options probably constitutes a violation of the copyright, if it weren't for the Fair Use exception that DPR quoted, which likely makes our use of these pictures permissible, as they're not being used for commercial purposes, but instead are posted for comment/criticism.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #180
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
So if we just provide a link to where the picture is would that be OK?