TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #91
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Wow, more comprehension limitations.
Here's that post in its entirety.

I said I passed over SoA in its initial airing w/o watching any of it and said that I had given The Shield one episode before I gave up on it. Other people commented and seemed to understand that I was talking about the initial run of both shows. I don't get how it could be understood any differently, yet as you stated, you assumed differently.

I don't understand why you took my statement of
Quote:
You always have to give a great show at least two eps. I missed out on The Wire for years because I hated the first episode. And its the Greatest of All Time.
to be so nasty with the first thing out of your mouth being "that doesn't even make sense to do. And go on in the next two sentences to express how lame you thought my opinion was. I thought it was obvious that I was talking about a re-airing.

Since this tit for tat has really gotten to asinine proportions let me re-phrase for everyone who wasn't somehow offended by my original statement.

For shows, that have a great track record in both ratings and reviews, I FEEL one should give it more than one episode before one makes a decision on whether to keep watching it. This is my last word on the subject, although I'm sure you will have more to say as every response from you has gotten more and more unpleasant. So go ahead and have the last word. You've earned it.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #92
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I don't understand why you took my statement of to be so nasty with the first thing out of your mouth being "that doesn't even make sense to do. And go on in the next two sentences to express how lame you thought my opinion was. I thought it was obvious that I was talking about a re-airing.
"You always have to give a great show at least two eps." doesn't make sense in the context of first run shows which is what I was talking about and you and only you didn't understand. At the time a wrongly assumed that you understood what I said in simple plain english. And I've already explained that telling people how they always have to decide what to watch using your standard is just ignorant. People can decide what to watch any way they want even when they are trying out a critically acclaimed show that is now available in it's entirety on netflix.

Quote:
Since this tit for tat has really gotten to asinine proportions let me re-phrase for everyone who wasn't somehow offended by my original statement.

For shows, that have a great track record in both ratings and reviews, I FEEL one should give it more than one episode before one makes a decision on whether to keep watching it. This is my last word on the subject, although I'm sure you will have more to say as every response from you has gotten more and more unpleasant. So go ahead and have the last word. You've earned it.
And now "You always have to" has become "I FEEL one should"
I can hardly wait to see what's next.

Last edited by scandia101 : 12-29-2013 at 06:23 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #93
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
You know, you two could take this discourse to PM and let the thread get back to what it was originally intended for. I keep checking in to see what shows are being recommended only to find you two still hashing out your differences. I don't think we all need to be privy to that.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #94
Howie
Out of Pocket

Come on now boys. I'm going to give you a timeout if you keep this up.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #95
markymark_ctown

Kids, go to your corners and don't come out until you can be the kindergarteners we know you can be.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #96
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Interesting that the "tough guys" wait until it's over before they come to restore order.
Good job! Don't hurt yourself patting your own backs.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #97
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
What I said was, that is if a show is both critically acclaimed and got high ratings, its probably a good idea to give it more than an episode to grab you. Sure there are great shows that had poor ratings and excellent reviews. And there are great shows that had fantastic ratings and bad reviews. My point is that if it had both, chances are, there is really something to it. Could a show be both critically acclaimed and highly watched, and I still hate it. Yep, Mad Men is an example. Do I think its a good idea to give those kinds of shows more than an episode before I dump it. Yep, from my experience, its much more hit than miss that way. I think its very hard to argue with that logic.
But how long before you cut bait? That's my issue. I only have so many hours in a week to watch TV and lots of other stuff I like to watch. This weekend with my DVR list consisting of all movies, I took a look at OD and Netflix, and you know, there was a TON of shows for me to consider. So for me, if I don't like a show pretty quickly, I move on to the next one. It's up to the show to grab me and not have to spend HOURS getting into a show before it gets any good. I'm not saying give up on the pilot, but should I have spent 1 1/2 seasons on a show that I really never thought I would like, but because of critical acclaim I should still be watching? I could have spent that time either trying out shows more inline with my taste or some other critically acclaimed show. I'm sorry, but with so many options out there, it's up to the show's writers to figure out a way to hook me pretty quick. I have 60 some odd shows on my SP list, so my DVR fills up with shows I want to watch fairly quickly. I tend to watch fairly close to airdate, mostly because I discuss here, and with friends and family. And because that's an old habit that died hard.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #98
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's just a shame that you can't even follow your own discussions with any kind of comprehension.

I commented that I gave up on The Shield after the first episode, but now I'm willing to give it another try and you responded to that by quoting it and then saying "You always have to give a great show at least two eps." because the discussion was about a first run show and not about catching up sometime later, I asked how is anyone to know if a show is any good.
Perhaps you didn't intend to be discussing that, but because you quoted me on it to make your comment, that is what the discussion was about.

and besides that, as I've already said, you statements on how people should watch tv are just plain ignorant anyway.
Totally agree. And one person's "good" is another person's "crap". We all have shows, that we know pretty quickly we won't like. Maybe we give them an episode or two based on word of mouth or critical acclaim or ratings, but usually realize that it isn't for me. And some I don't even bother, despite what everyone says, because there's no way I'd even be interested. American Idol, for example (obviously not exactly high brow TV), gets HUGE ratings, but I have no interest and I've never seen more than a few minutes of any episode and those were at someone else's house. I don't care that it gets great ratings, it's not something I'd be interested in. Girls gets nice ratings for HBO and it a critical darling. I watch about 3 or 4 episodes of that and I realized that one was really enough. I'm not the core audience and I found that it doesn't speak to me or my generation, and the characters were such total dbags that I didn't want to spend any time with them.

It's not that I don't give some of these shows a chance, it's that for me, I'm not going to spend a lot of time on them if I don't think I'll like them. I think two episodes is fair on something you think you might like. Grab me in two, or I'm not going to bother.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #99
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
Type 1 is totally fake staged crap. Type 2 actually has some reality, with maybe some fake crap to make it more interesting.
To me there are two types:

1) Games and contests - I watch some of these, Big Brother, Survivor, The Amazing Race, but others that are either romantic (The Bachelor) or talent contests (AI, The Voice don't interest me).

2) Documentary style - Those are about individuals in a certain line of work or hobby or location that seem like reality. I have no interest in those. I WILL watch serious documentaries about history or news or sometimes science, but these pretend documentaries are as you say, mostly staged.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #100
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
Thanks. I still don't see why NBC wouldn't offer it for free for a new-ish show to attract more viewers.
Pretty obvious....they must make a ton of money selling DVDs and streaming. Enough to offset any new viewers they might attract.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #101
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Amazon Instant video has the first season in HD, 24 episodes, for $19.99. I don't call that a ton of money.
I've given up trying to figure out what "a lot of money" is to people. I've seen people spend a couple of 100s of dollars here on the thread on a whim and think it's nothing and others who every dollar counts. To me, spending $20 on a show you've never seen and MAY like seems like it could be wasted money. Other options though are a local library or even taking subbing for Hulu Plus free trial to see if you like something.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #102
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I don't understand why you took my statement of to be so nasty with the first thing out of your mouth being "that doesn't even make sense to do. And go on in the next two sentences to express how lame you thought my opinion was. I thought it was obvious that I was talking about a re-airing.

Wouldn't it have been better to say, I'd give it more than one episode before deciding? That's how you do it. Other's don't. There's no best practice in watching TV, don't you think?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #103
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

For the OP. Have you figured out what you are going to give a chance yet? Many fine choices suggested in the thread, despite our differences in how much time you should give a show and so forth. Decide on what sounds good to you and give it a go. Since you know your own tastes, I'm sure you could find something.

I don't recall if it was mentioned (too lazy go go back), but if you're into a sorta Sci-Fi mystery type show, try Orphan Black.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #104
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I've given up trying to figure out what "a lot of money" is to people. I've seen people spend a couple of 100s of dollars here on the thread on a whim and think it's nothing and others who every dollar counts. To me, spending $20 on a show you've never seen and MAY like seems like it could be wasted money. Other options though are a local library or even taking subbing for Hulu Plus free trial to see if you like something.
When the going rate for a HD episode is $2.99, with 24 episodes that's $71.76. $20 seems like bargain to me.

And the first season was available on Hulu +, that's where I saw it. But not any more.
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #105
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
For the OP. Have you figured out what you are going to give a chance yet? Many fine choices suggested in the thread, despite our differences in how much time you should give a show and so forth. Decide on what sounds good to you and give it a go. Since you know your own tastes, I'm sure you could find something.

I don't recall if it was mentioned (too lazy go go back), but if you're into a sorta Sci-Fi mystery type show, try Orphan Black.
Watched a few episodes of Fringe, that show is a bit ridiculous.

Watched two episodes of the wire, don't like it.

Watched deadwood, don't like it.

Watched the shield and like it quite a bit.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #106
NoCalME

All 12 seasons of 'NYPD Blue' are available for streaming on Amazon Prime. I didn't care for 'The Shield' but really liked 'Blue' when it originally aired on ABC.
NoCalME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #107
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
My son just recommended Orphan Black to me. I didn't see it readily available anywhere. I set up a wish list for it. I'm assuming that BBC America will rerun the first session before they start airing the second season in a couple of months.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #108
mr.unnatural

Quote:
There are two types of reality shows.

Type 1-
Non reality.
Survivor
The Bachelor
Real Housewives
Duck Dynasty

Type 2-
Pawn Stars
Car Chasers
Fast & Loud
Ice Road Truckers

Type 2 I watch.
Every one of the shows listed is staged or scripted to some degree. Any "competition" show keeps whatever contestants are getting the biggest ratings or positive viewer feedback. The cast of Survivor are probably instructed who to vote for at each tribal gathering.

I used to watch Ice Road Truckers until it was basically the same show every week. There is so much repetitive filler injected in each episode it became redundant. Pawn Stars can be interesting and not as heavily scripted as other reality shows. It's almost more of a trivia/history lesson than a reality show since they delve into the background of anything interesting that comes through the door. I haven't seen some of the shows in the list, but I suspect they're just more of the same.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #109
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Every one of the shows listed is staged or scripted to some degree. Any "competition" show keeps whatever contestants are getting the biggest ratings or positive viewer feedback. The cast of Survivor are probably instructed who to vote for at each tribal gathering.
Is this an assumption on your part or do you have anything to back that up? From a reputable site? While there's definitely some manipulation if you listen to Jeff's questions, there's no coercion that I'm aware of on any of those types of shows. If there were, and that came out, that would be the end of them. And considering how long they have been on the air and it hasn't come out yet, I highly doubt that's the case.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #110
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Pawn Stars can be interesting and not as heavily scripted as other reality shows. It's almost more of a trivia/history lesson than a reality show since they delve into the background of anything interesting that comes through the door.
Again, you are deluding yourself if you think Pawn Stars is remotely real. The scenes shown on TV are completely fabricated for the cameras. The items involved in the transactions are placed there by the producers purely for their historical story-telling aspect. The store exists, but has been more or less transformed into a gift shop for show merchandise. The only time the show stars are actually there to do "business" is when the shop closes (which it does, despite the "24 Hours" sign on the building) for the show filming. They have to close, after all, since the store is packed with tourists the rest of the time.

I'm not knocking the show, it's an interesting way to present stories about historical items. It, however, is not "real."
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #111
mr.unnatural

I have no doubt that the storylines are based on actual events that may have occurred to the various characters at some point. I just don't believe that they're occurring in real time while the cameras happen to be rolling. I suspect that they are recreated for benefit of the show.

I've never bought that any competition type of reality show wasn't rigged. While I haven't actually looked into it (never thought it was important enough to waste the time), I had read somewhere that the networks already know who's going to win beforehand. I believe there might actually be websites devoted to these things. I think there may also be interactive websites where the audiences vote for their favorite characters.

Yes, I am making assumptions so take it for what it's worth. Do you really believe that the networks would retain any contestants that would not generate higher ratings? That would be like keeping the crappy singers on American Idol.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #112
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Again, you are deluding yourself if you think Pawn Stars is remotely real. The scenes shown on TV are completely fabricated for the cameras. The items involved in the transactions are placed there by the producers purely for their historical story-telling aspect. The store exists, but has been more or less transformed into a gift shop for show merchandise. The only time the show stars are actually there to do "business" is when the shop closes (which it does, despite the "24 Hours" sign on the building) for the show filming. They have to close, after all, since the store is packed with tourists the rest of the time.

I'm not knocking the show, it's an interesting way to present stories about historical items. It, however, is not "real."
News Flash - 99% of everything you see on TV isn't real. Of course Pawn Stars is not real. However, the items presented are real, whether staged or not. Who's to say whether or not the items are actually brought in by outsiders or by the show's producers. They probably screen all items brought into the store during normal hours and then pick and choose which ones to highlight on the show. It's set up to be entertaining and possibly informative and hits the mark on both counts. It's sort of like The Antiques Roadshow on PBS.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #113
gweempose

Quote:

Watched a few episodes of Fringe, that show is a bit ridiculous.
It's very possible that Fringe may simply not be your cup of tea, but I will say that it takes a while for the more complex story arcs to develop. The show ended up being very different than the way it started.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #114
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I have no doubt that the storylines are based on actual events that may have occurred to the various characters at some point. I just don't believe that they're occurring in real time while the cameras happen to be rolling. I suspect that they are recreated for benefit of the show.

I've never bought that any competition type of reality show wasn't rigged. While I haven't actually looked into it (never thought it was important enough to waste the time), I had read somewhere that the networks already know who's going to win beforehand. I believe there might actually be websites devoted to these things. I think there may also be interactive websites where the audiences vote for their favorite characters.

Yes, I am making assumptions so take it for what it's worth. Do you really believe that the networks would retain any contestants that would not generate higher ratings? That would be like keeping the crappy singers on American Idol.

None of this has ever been proven by any reputable site. It falls in the category of any number of conspiracy theories you want to choose. Do the producers/networks pick contestants they think will be entertaining? Of course, before the show. But I haven't read from any reputable site that there's any collusion by anyone to rig these games. So unless this comes out from a reputable source, I'll stick with the game being mostly clean (I do think that sometimes certain challenges are picked where some contestant might have an advantage, but it's still up to that contestant to actually win the challenge.)

Show me one reputable website that reports the shows are rigged. By reputable, I mean from a major news or entertainment organization, not from showsarerigged.com or some such.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #115
mr.unnatural

Quote:
None of this has ever been proven by any reputable site. It falls in the category of any number of conspiracy theories you want to choose. Do the producers/networks pick contestants they think will be entertaining? Of course, before the show. But I haven't read from any reputable site that there's any collusion by anyone to rig these games. So unless this comes out from a reputable source, I'll stick with the game being mostly clean (I do think that sometimes certain challenges are picked where some contestant might have an advantage, but it's still up to that contestant to actually win the challenge.)
If you really believe that then I've got some prime swamp land for sale in Florida.

Quote:
Show me one reputable website that reports the shows are rigged. By reputable, I mean from a major news or entertainment organization, not from showsarerigged.com or some such.
OK

http://realitytv.about.com/od/realit...ow-Rigging.htm

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/08/a-f...how-is-rigged/

http://www.today.com/id/36601251#.UsL9WrQbB6I

http://www.tvguide.com/news/reality-...e-1058683.aspx

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secret...t-you-to-know/

http://www.wicproject.com/everything...-show-secrets/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/ar...anted=all&_r=0

Do the NY Times, The Today Show, and TV Guide websites work for you? These were just on the first page of a google search, with a considerable number in addition to these.

Reality TV ain't real, folks. Deal with it. They're all designed to entertaining in a way that will get them high ratings and nothing more. Anything that ends up being close to reality is purely a coincidence. Next thing you know you'll be trying to convince us that Professional Wrestling is an actual sport and is also real.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 12-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #116
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
If you really believe that then I've got some prime swamp land for sale in Florida.

OK

http://realitytv.about.com/od/realit...ow-Rigging.htm

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/08/a-f...how-is-rigged/

http://www.today.com/id/36601251#.UsL9WrQbB6I

http://www.tvguide.com/news/reality-...e-1058683.aspx

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secret...t-you-to-know/

http://www.wicproject.com/everything...-show-secrets/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/ar...anted=all&_r=0

Do the NY Times, The Today Show, and TV Guide websites work for you? These were just on the first page of a google search, with a considerable number in addition to these.

Reality TV ain't real, folks. Deal with it. They're all designed to entertaining in a way that will get them high ratings and nothing more. Anything that ends up being close to reality is purely a coincidence. Next thing you know you'll be trying to convince us that Professional Wrestling is an actual sport and is also real.
Funny, not one of those listed Survivor which is what you alleged was rigged. The closest one, Big Brother, turned out to be completely wrong, as the so called "CBS Insider" said Amanda Zuckerman was going to win, and she didn't. Supposedly that was "predetermined" The ones we've already talked about not being real, is already common knowledge. I don't watch Idol or any of those so I can't speak to those. You've given me nothing about the "Survival" type shows being rigged.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #117
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
My son just recommended Orphan Black to me. I didn't see it readily available anywhere. I set up a wish list for it. I'm assuming that BBC America will rerun the first session before they start airing the second season in a couple of months.
I removed some Orphan Black episodes that just showed up on my To Do list for January 12th. Looks like it might be a marathon of the first season.

The third season of Luther is on earlier in the day.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #118
mr.unnatural

I didn't spot anything about Survivor in the first two pages of my google search results, which is why nothing was linked. Upon further investigation, it appears that Survivor is, in fact, real, but many of the scenes are reenacted for the camera. The contestants are dogged day and night by camera crews, but many things get missed the first time around. As for the voting, it appears to be done by the contestants themselves, but the order in which the votes are presented are done for greatest impact.

I had read something a few years ago about Survivor being staged as well as hearing a few things about it on radio talk shows. I don't follow the show so anything I mentioned was pure conjecture on my part. However, I still stand by most of my comments about other "reality" shows in general.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this is important unless you think it is. The reality is, I don't give a crap one way or the other.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #119
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

I removed some Orphan Black episodes that just showed up on my To Do list for January 12th. Looks like it might be a marathon of the first season.
What channel were they on? My TiVo doesn't show any upcoming episodes?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #120
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
What channel were they on? My TiVo doesn't show any upcoming episodes?
Sorry, BBC America. Just the first two episodes popped up so it's on the very end of the To Do list window. Your TiVo guide data probably doesn't go that far yet. Next update will probably do it.