TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
aindik

Series 2 value?

Before I take the hard drives out and take them to the dump, do the following Series 2 units have any value whatsoever?

1) Series 2 with lifetime service, won't boot
2) Series 2 without lifetime service, works fine
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
tatergator1

Well, a quick review of eBay would indicate a generic "Series 2" with lifetime might fetch $50 -$80. Are these the same model Series 2? Were the drives ever upgraded? Dual Tuner or Single Tuner?

Assuming identical models and that the problem with #1 is that the hard drive has failed, you could take the drive from #2 and put it in #1 and see if it boots. You would need to do a "clear and Delete Everything" after installing the new drive to "marry" the #2 drive with the #1 Tivo. Might be more work than you would want to do for ~$50.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
aindik

They're the original original Series 2, circa 2002, single tuner. Both hard drives have been upgraded though I don't remember how much space is in them.

My in laws who have been using the S2 without service for years are gonna be pissed if I tell them I was able to fix the other one. . They finally have HD now which is why I'm trashing these, so it really doesn't matter.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Before I take the hard drives out and take them to the dump, do the following Series 2 units have any value whatsoever?

1) Series 2 with lifetime service, won't boot
2) Series 2 without lifetime service, works fine
Are they both the same model, not counting hard drive size?

Like for instance one is a TCD240040 and the other is a TCD240080.

If so, someone with Surface Mount Device soldering and unsoldering skills can move the crypto chip from one to the other.

S1s, S2s, and the first S3 have separate crypto chip integrated circuits on the motherboard, and the TiVo Service Number is burned into them, and it's the TSN to which a lifetime sub is tied, so moving the chip moves the sub.

Although the lifetimed S2 that won't boot may just need the power supply replaced or repaired.

You might be able to just do a power supply swap and get the lifetimed unit running again, which means it can be someone's Multi-Set Discount anchor unit.

I need to know the model numbers of both to advise further.

Before you head for the landfill, at least try to give them away on Craigslist, both in the free and the electronics section, in case there's someone out there who could use them for parts.

And specify the model numbers when you do.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
aindik

When I say it won't boot I mean it won't get past "a few minutes more," IIRC. So, it gets power.

Both are TCD140060 with upgraded hard drives.

Last edited by aindik : 12-20-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Put the drive and/or power supply from #2 into #1 and more than likely you'll have a working tivo with a lifetime subscription and that's worth enough to not just junk it.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
When I say it won't boot I mean it won't get past "a few minutes more," IIRC. So, it gets power.

If they're both the same model then there's hope, especially if both will put something on the screen.

Try a power supply swap first before you risk screwing up the software on either drive, and then get back to me with the results and the make and model of both drives.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:

You don't have the ORIGINAL drive(s) for either machine, or a backup?

Trying that on a new drive is the easiest first step to see if it's really just the drive.

Plus, in the past, I'm pretty sure that I was able to do essentially the drive upgrade process (which includes copying the shows off the existing drive), which saved a Tivo that was very prone to crashing and had other weird seemingly filesystem errors (shows would seem to disappear at times, so it seemed like it was not literally bad blocks on the hard drive).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If they're both the same model then there's hope, especially if both will put something on the screen.

Try a power supply swap first before you risk screwing up the software on either drive, and then get back to me with the results and the make and model of both drives.
Power supply swap sounds like it's beyond my level of competence.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Power supply swap sounds like it's beyond my level of competence.
It's just a few screws. These shouldn't be landfilled. Try to find homes for the lifetimes unit anyway. If all else fails I'll try to arrange for someone to pick them up; they won't need or want the hard drives.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

IMHO they're verging on white elephant status (i.e. negative value). A Series 2 can't tune anything nowadays without an external box, which works indifferently; it draws excessive power; it has low PQ by modern standards; it doesn't even work well with modern TVs; and any unit still alive has already exceeded its projected lifespan.

I actually bought and activated a Series 2 DT a few months ago, but that's because I'm insane. (Specifically, I wanted to see how my various TiVo software projects worked with it, since I hadn't had a 2 DT before.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #12
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
IMHO they're verging on white elephant status
Yeah. It's a lost cause.

But there is a tiny niche they can still serve; people in specific market situations who have virtually zero dollars for entertainment. It's a lost cause but there's still usefulness that can be found for them. The easy and natural Tivo interface is a huge value over alternatives. The capability of being able to have easy-to-understand & use DVR, even with a small number of channels, is magic to some people. It's a temporary value but then the kind of people I'm taking about are very temporary at this point.

Mostly I try to set up such people with HR10-250s hacked to have basic OTA DVR capability and playback capability from a central library. But the idea of expanding into certain areas still with analog cable lifelines, without having to go through the hassle of arranging for dish installations for the guide data, is very attractive.

I don't know for sure I can find a volunteer in the Philadelphia area (we're close), but rather than see them landfilled I'd be willing to try.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
unitron

If it's absolutely necessary I can take my 140 out of service temporarily and put it on the bench and walk him through removal and installation of the power supply.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
A Series 2 can't tune anything nowadays without an external box
I wouldn't say this quite yet. It's getting there slowly, but there are still many cable providers that still feed a band of analog programming.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
... A Series 2 can't tune anything nowadays without an external box...
I currently have 5 S2s receiving analog cable.

Granted, TWC keeps reducing the number of analog channels (but not the price), but we've still got the local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS affiliates, as well as TNT, TBS, TCM, Syfy, USA, FX, AMC, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, the Weather Channel, and at least another 10 to 15 that aren't out and out shopping channels.