TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
nesbitttivo

Ethernet port specs

I can't seem to locate anywhere the specifications for model of network controller in the mini. The reason for wanting to know is because the network connection will not negotiate faster than 100mb full.

I thought the nic supported gigabit. If not gigabit wouldn't the MOCA adapter be faster speeds than 100mb?

If it does support gigabit I will need to check my cables to make sure they support gigabit speeds.
nesbitttivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

10/100 only. But since it only supports streaming one show at a time, and those shows will never exceed 20Mbps, it doesn't need gigabit.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
nesbitttivo

Ok. Now what about the Roamio basic? I was told by TiVo tech support that the Roamio's have the exact same network controller as the mini. Is that true?
nesbitttivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbitttivo View Post
Ok. Now what about the Roamio basic? I was told by TiVo tech support that the Roamio's have the exact same network controller as the mini. Is that true?
Roamio Basic is 10/100.
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbitttivo View Post
Yes Roamio Basic is only 10/100. In that case it's likely a cost saving measure. They were trying to make the basic as inexpensive as possible. It also does not have MoCa so your only options for networking are Ethernet or WiFi, unless you get a bridge.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

And even if using wireless on the Roamio basic at a 300Mb/s link rate, it will still not exceed the speed of the wired connection. I initally had hoped I would get faster speeds over 5Ghz wireless since many of my other devices have no problem exceeding 100Mb/s speeds with a 300Mb/s link rate(Usually they can get up to 150Mb/s throughput). But the Roamio Basic wireless must also connect through the ethernet port which would limit the speeds over wireless to the max wired speeds.

I guess they figure the Pro and Plus only need the faster speeds because of the built in Stream. So the Romaio Basic wireless maxes out around 95Mb/s. The same as from a wired connection.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote