TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
jfh3

Comcast Xfinity on Demand - GSM errors

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I would start a new one with information on specific errors.

I am in Colorado, where Xfinity on Demand is supposedly live. I have the XOD logo under Find Programs now, but when I select it, I get the following error:

Service Error
Request failed. Please try again. If problem continues, call your cable operator. Reference (GSM-2) when calling. The locale code is tivocardio-ch2-a2p.comcast.com

I called Comcast and they thought the problem was that I did not have a VOD code on my account. They added it and then de-paired, re-paired the CableCARD and sent an AUTH signal to it, but I still get the error (I did check the CableCARD status and made sure the card was validated).

Assuming that the locale code refers to some sort of VOD or heartbeat server, I tried to ping it, but the Comcast DNS didn't recognize that address (and I don't even know it is a proper server name - that was just a guess on my part).

Does anyone who has Xfinity on Demand have any experience with this GSM-2 error (or GSM-7 that some others are seeing)?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
rparadis99

I also live in the greater Denver area. I saw some problems (don't remember the exact error messages) when initially trying to connect to Xfinity OnDemand last weekend. I rebooted the TiVo Premiere and everything was fine after that. Have you tried a reboot?

If the reboot, doesn't fix it I would suspect (like you) the CableCard. Let me know if you want me to confirm any values/settings under:

Settings > CableCARD > CableCARD Decoder > CableCARD options > CableCARD Menu
rparadis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
jfh3

Thanks. I have tried a reboot. I also went online in my Tivo account, unchecked all the video selections, saved, rechecked them and forced a connection.

As for my CableCARD - it is validated correctly and I can see premium channels, so I presume the card is working.

I am waiting a call back from a Comcast rep that is trying to find what GSM-2 means.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
marwatk

I'm getting the same thing, also in Denver (Broomfield actually). There's a thread about GSM errors on the comcast forum as well. I can't post a link but it's the first google result if you google "xfinity tivo gsm-2"

I have a service appt scheduled for tomorrow, we'll see...

-Marcus
marwatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwatk View Post
I'm getting the same thing, also in Denver (Broomfield actually). There's a thread about GSM errors on the comcast forum as well. I can't post a link but it's the first google result if you google "xfinity tivo gsm-2"

I have a service appt scheduled for tomorrow, we'll see...

-Marcus
Settle in for a long afternoon. Given your location, I suspect we are on the same headend. If your tech manages to find someone who can find out what GSM-2 means and how to fix it, please post here.

I had a very nice tech, but after three hours we weren't any closer to having the answer. He did agree with me that it's almost certainly a problem on the Comcast side and that the truck roll was pretty much a waste of everyone's time. What is absolutely stunning is that the techs don't have access to search the call logs, so they have no way to find out how many others are having the same problem and where they are.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
marwatk

I got a call this morning before my appt from someone who was on vacation last week. She sounded like she knew what she was doing and said it appears to be an issue on their end that they're working on now. They cancelled my appt and said they'd call me later today with status on it.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
mwidmannusa

Xfinity on Demand not working in Broomfield gsm-2

I am having the same issue with Xfinity on Demand. About 10 calls to comcast and tivo and a new CableCard (that didn't appear bad and didnt fix the issue). Everyone is stumped as to the issue or ownership of the problem. Comcast is working hard to fix it but based on this forum, they must be getting a lot of calls. No doubt they will get to the bottom of it but i am frustrated. Does anyone know if this is working anywhere in Broomfield/Colorado? or is this just a few customers with the issue?
mwidmannusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
marwatk

I started getting a new error (GSM-11), so I think they're making progress. Or at least breaking new stuff.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
jfh3

It is working for me now (I am near Broomfield, on the Thornton headend). I am still trying to track down the tech that identified the problem and fix, but here is what I know:

- GSM-2 error gave way to GSM-11 before the problem was fixed.
- a manager of a Colorado tech 2 team told me that a fix was implemented this morning.
- you ABSOLUTELY do not need a truck roll to fix this - if your CableCARD is/was working, it does not need to be swapped/re-paired/re-validated
- you MAY need to reboot your TiVo if you see a GSM-11 error (for me, I had to reboot one box, didn't with the others)
- make sure you have the VOD channel selected in the Channel List (should be on by default, but check)
- I found at least 4 people who had the same issue I did; all of them have XOD working now.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
jfink22

Angry GSM-2 Error here on Tivo Premiere Elite SF Bay Area

Called Comcast and they 'reauthorized' the cable card said to leave the box on for 45 minutes. 2 hours later still GSM2 error.

FML
jfink22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
ancientstorm2006

I have never been able to use this app. I am in Loveland. First, it would let me search all shows and movies on VOD. If i tried to play it, it said Rewind is not available and nothing played. Then, I saw the first 2 seconds of each movie i tried to play and then the picture froze. couldn't get past this. Now, It is giving me the gsm2 error. Ive called denver comcast and phillipines comcast. they all tell me Im subscribed, send signals, and even the tech came out, saw the tivo, and said they dont support VOD on cablecards. I called today and they are escalating it to advanced tech. Also, every rep i talk to tells me something different and gsm-2 is waaaay too advanced of an error for them.
ancientstorm2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Bonkey3

Gsm11

Just started getting this error...not connecting to Xfinity Video On Demand. From reading these posts, I have looked at the settings on line, rebooted, checked machine settings. Still on fence about calling Comcast. Probably will wait a few days. Any other suggestions? All other broadband connections work including Netflix and Amazon. Located in Chester County Pennsylvana.
Bonkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
caryrae73

I started getting the gsm 11 error a couple days ago. The XOD was working just fine since it was available in my area which has been a few months now.
caryrae73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
WVZR1

GSM-7 on one machine and GSM-11 on another since yesterday 4:00 PM that I'm aware of. How long has my VOD been "out"? I don't actually know - I seldom ask it to do anything! I'm in 25414 and I've seen issues from different parts of the country!

I mentioned in another thread that my TiVo was "hired" to record and playback at my convenience and it's doing that! I guess the rest is a damned nuisance to try and keep track of.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
dlca1

We suddenly started getting the GSM-7 error on both of our Tivo-Premeires when trying to access VOD yesterday. Still having issues today.

Live in Northern California (94539)

Haven't bothered calling Comcast yet (don't feel like sitting on hold forever)
dlca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #16
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I wish we could get VOD where I live.

Does anyone know how to speed up the process to get VOD for TiVo in a specific market?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Anthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkey3 View Post
Just started getting this error...not connecting to Xfinity Video On Demand. From reading these posts, I have looked at the settings on line, rebooted, checked machine settings. Still on fence about calling Comcast. Probably will wait a few days. Any other suggestions? All other broadband connections work including Netflix and Amazon. Located in Chester County Pennsylvana.
Chester county here as well, also getting the error.
Anthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
g-man

GSM-7 since yesterday for VOD.
Bay Area.

Called Comcast and they sent a signal. Didn't fix. Called cablecard dept and apparently they're aware of an outage.

Said to just keep checking.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man View Post
GSM-7 since yesterday for VOD.
Bay Area.

Called Comcast and they sent a signal. Didn't fix. Called cablecard dept and apparently they're aware of an outage.

Said to just keep checking.
If you're wanting to check your TiVo for it you need to do a restart before checking! I don't believe the code will go away until after a restart. I was asked by Comcast when they called me this evening to do this before checking. I believe after a restart and if it's NOT fixed the GSM-7 will change to a GSM-11.

Settings > help > restart OR pull the cord.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
g-man

Fixed. Didn't even have to reboot.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Tanquen

From what I can tell the GSM codes are network errors and for one reason or another the TiVo’s VOD request is being denied. It could be something on your end but most likely it’s on the Comcast network side. They updated something and left out some of the old config or something in your account as it must have the special TiVo Premier VOD code added.

I had GSM-11 (only after reboot) then GSM-7 on my TiVo for the last three days after everything had been working fine for over a month. Comcast by default, wants you to reboot everything, replace everything, resend the pairing to the CableCARD, send a truck out and so on. Anything but escalate the issue the tier 2 or network guys and start a trouble ticket. I had read up on it a bit and kept pressing for a trouble ticket and telling them they can send out a truck and make me replace the CableCARD but everything I’ve seen on line says it an issue on their network.

The last guy finial started a ticket the other day and today it magically works again, no reboots or replacing cards or clicking my heals together three times and so on.

Last edited by Tanquen : 03-16-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
dlca1

Jyst FYI. My GSM-7 error went away yesterday as well. (Northern California)

I didn't do anything (i.e. reboot). Also didn't bother calling comcast.
dlca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
nyjack

How was it fixed?

Quote:
Do you have any idea how it got fixed? I've spoken to Comcast more times in the past three days than I have in the past 10 years!
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
sehale

GSM-11 here too in Newark (northern) Delaware. VOD used to work just fine...
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
WVZR1

Quote:
Many months ago I didn't have to either and I doubted that I would need to this time either but I mentioned a "reboot" before calling because they're going to ask you to anyway if you call them. The fact that you can tell them that you have
already puts you several minutes ahead of the game. It may also have to do with which code you're actually displaying, the GSM-7 or the GSM-11.

I've checked it once today and didn't expect results, I'm assuming the head-end people that need to sort it out work reasonable hours, Mon - Fri. Perhaps it will work later in the week.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

I've been getting the GSM-11 Error in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for a couple days now. Anoka County...

Last edited by h2oskierc : 03-18-2013 at 11:30 AM.
h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Comcast is blaming the cable card...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
stoli412

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
Comcast is blaming the cable card...
Definitely not the cable card. I have 3 Premieres that have been getting the GSM-11 error for the past few days now. Philadelphia PA.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Thanks. Based on this thread that was what i figured. Just got off the phone with the cablecard support, and they said it is a known issue (obviously) and there is nothing wrong with my cablecard. She sent a new "hit" to it, but wasn't sure that would solve anything.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #30
mpnret

Interesting, my comcast VOD worked fine until a couple of days ago (NJ). No errors. It just says please wait. Comcast sent a hit to the card but still no good. Of course comcast just wants to do a truck roll. Hopefully I will be able to resolve it before then.

Last edited by mpnret : 03-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote