TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Chiacomo

Setting the TiVo's MTU? Possible?

I'm using a Series2 Tivo with 7.3.1 software...

I recently purchased a wired Network Adapter for the unit -- everything appears to be set up correctly. I can stream music from my PC and transfer video back and forth.

When I try to connect to the TiVo service the connection fails during configuration. The folks at TiVo support were very friendly but not much help. I've thought about it and I suspect that there is a problem with the TiVo's MTU size.

I'm using a Cayman/Netopia 3220-H DSL Router from Bellsouth. The maximum MRU size (on the router) is 1492 -- I've tried setting it to 1460 and even 1400 and it makes no difference. I can't increase the MRU on the router beyond 1492.

Is there a way to adjust the MTU on the TiVO?
Chiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 AM   #2
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiacomo
Is there a way to adjust the MTU on the TiVO?
In theory, if your router is doing the right thing, pmtu discovery should automatically adjust the mtu appropriately. There is some information here on how pmtu discovery works.

On an unhacked tivo, I don't believe there is any way to adjust the mtu manually. On a hacked tivo, you can use ifconfig to set the MTU.

If the router has a way to adjust the LAN MTU, you might try setting it to the same value as the WAN MTU (1492). Also, if there is any control in the router over what to do with packets that must be fragmented, tweaking that setting may be helpful too.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
peleke12

After assigning a fixed IP, I specially enabled all of the ports mentioned in the N11 error message to that IP, confirmed that the DNS and Gateway IPs are the router IP. Still get Connection Interrupted (N11). I also tried setting MTU to auto, it was set to 1500, same result, then changed it to 1492. This time I got an N13, problem with Tivo service. I'll see if it is reproducible, but I'm now completely out of ideas. The only option now seems to be a Charter DVR. Has anyone gotten any help from Tivo service? I essentially got 'It's not our problem, must be your router". Has anyone been able to convince them that it's related to the Fall 2013 update? I also find it very difficult to believe that they cannot trace communication with a specific IP and determine exactly what caused the interruption. Too expensive I guess.
peleke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
ggieseke

Setting the MTU at the router has always worked for me, even on my ancient Series 1s with a TurboNET card.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peleke12 View Post
After assigning a fixed IP, I specially enabled all of the ports mentioned in the N11 error message to that IP, confirmed that the DNS and Gateway IPs are the router IP. Still get Connection Interrupted (N11). I also tried setting MTU to auto, it was set to 1500, same result, then changed it to 1492. This time I got an N13, problem with Tivo service. I'll see if it is reproducible, but I'm now completely out of ideas. The only option now seems to be a Charter DVR. Has anyone gotten any help from Tivo service? I essentially got 'It's not our problem, must be your router". Has anyone been able to convince them that it's related to the Fall 2013 update? I also find it very difficult to believe that they cannot trace communication with a specific IP and determine exactly what caused the interruption. Too expensive I guess.
It might not hurt to tell us what model (TCDxxxxxx) TiVo you have, what cable company, cable cards or not, tuning adapter for SDV or not, and geographic location.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote