TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > eBay Auction Central > Buyer/Seller Area
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
shiffrin

Trying to decide: Trade or Sell?

I have a Series 3 that I purchased from Weaknees with a total of 750 MB hard drive space. It no longer works - it powers up with all lights on and never completes the boot. It has Lifetime service.

It has been sitting around my office and I have finally decided to get it out of my house to make some room.

I contacted Weaknees and they said they would give me $50 for it which seems a little low, but it would be a no hassle way of getting it out of here.

I have no idea what it might be worth to someone who has experience with fixing broken Tivo's.

Anyone interested in this Tivo? Any advice on how to get it out of my house?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
squint

You'd probably get around $120 on eBay these days. Maybe a little more depending on which model it is.

I'd been watching prices for the past few weeks and finally got a good deal on one to fix. Prices for Series 3 seem to be going down lately, perhaps due to the release of the Roamio.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
shiffrin

Quote:
You'd probably get around $120 on eBay these days. Maybe a little more depending on which model it is.

I'd been watching prices for the past few weeks and finally got a good deal on one to fix. Prices for Series 3 seem to be going down lately, perhaps due to the release of the Roamio.
Thanks for the info. Weaknees may be a smaller hassle to deal with. I've sold things on eBay a while back and it is always a big hassle.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
squint

There's always Craigslist...
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
shiffrin

I've also encountered scammers on Craigslist and have pretty much given up on it.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
I have a Series 3 that I purchased from Weaknees with a total of 750 MB hard drive space. It no longer works - it powers up with all lights on and never completes the boot. It has Lifetime service.

It has been sitting around my office and I have finally decided to get it out of my house to make some room.

I contacted Weaknees and they said they would give me $50 for it which seems a little low, but it would be a no hassle way of getting it out of here.

I have no idea what it might be worth to someone who has experience with fixing broken Tivo's.

Anyone interested in this Tivo? Any advice on how to get it out of my house?
If it puts the first screen "Welcome, powering up" on the screen, then the motherboad, to which the lifetime sub is tied, is probably just fine and the problem is the power supply ($10 worth of replacement capacitors and some simple soldering) or the hard drive or both.

I'll be glad to give you a little over $50 and pay the shipping to NC myself, provided both cable tuners and both over the air tuners were still working when it quit booting.

How long ago did it quit working properly and how long had it been in service at the time?

And if it's not the not the later TCD652160, but a lifetimed original Series 3, the one with the clock on the front, the tuner thing isn't a deal breaker because I can move the chip tied to the liftetime sub to another of the same model.

I can provide references from other TCF'ers I've done business with.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
shiffrin

I haven't tried powering it up for a very long time so I don't remember what happened. I will take some time today to see what I can do to test it out.

The original info on the box is:
Series3
648-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Series3 HD 32hr

but it was purchased from Weaknees with a larger hard drive.

It has 2 cable card slots that both worked the last time I was able to use it. On the back it says Model No. TCD648250B

Let me know if you're still interested.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
unitron

You have email.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

What does a Premiere, upgraded HD (2 TB, I think) with lifetime go for used? I'm considering selling mine to upgrade to the Roamio Plus.
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

They seem to be going for $275-$450 on eBay depending on how lucky you are. There are a half dozen or so for sale here on this forum and AFAIK none have sold. So if you really want to sell one you'll likely have to go through eBay.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Thanks for the quick reply!
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!
You'll probably get more bidding frenzy on eBay, but give Craigslist a shot as well.

Start high, come down slowly.