TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
KevinG

Mini was *almost* a bust for me.

So, after getting my roamio pro up and running which replaced an original S3, I decided to stop into bestbuy and pick up a mini (price-matched, without any issue with Amazon for $86).

After dealing with all of the normal(?) hassles of setting this thing up (kept getting V70 error trying to see the Roamio), I finally found the magic combination of reboots and network connections to the mother-ship to make it work. That wasn't the problem.

The whole idea for the Mini was to replace my 2nd S3 (to get rid of two cable cards which Comcast charges an arm and a leg for...). I finally moved the Mini to that room, only to discover that it doesn't have optical digital out. Okay, my fault for not recognizing that earlier. But my (VERY EXPENSIVE) processor was built before HDMI existed, so I'm somewhat stuck. After trying a bunch of things, and realizing that my TV will not spit out optical digital out of the audio it received via HDMI, I decided that I was willing to deal with analog stereo out for a brief period of time while I try to solve that issue. So, I dug out a breakout cable, and hooked it up, and all was working...Or so I thought.

Already disappointed (again, my fault for not realizing that the mini didn't have optical out), I found that every single time we turned on the TV, the Mini would reboot. Well, that sucks. And was bad enough for me to decide to return the mini, and cancel the lifetime service. (I did do some research to find out that this is a problem others have had...but having to spend another $50 or so on an HDMI switch to "solve" the problem doesn't seem like a good solution to me.)

But, then I realized that instead of replacing the S3 box, I could replace the Comcast DVR (YUCK!) in the basement theater. That is using a modern processor that supports HDMI, so no optical issue there. However, the set up downstairs is a bit more complicated because there are multiple zones (the projector in the theater, and the tv in the workout area). What had to work, for this to be a viable solution, was that the Tivo remote could fully control the TV in the workout area, while the Harmony ran the theater.

I got it all set up, and went to the remote codes for the TV. There is only one. Guess what? It doesn't work. *sigh* Another failure. I went to get the Mini's box from my computer desk to pack it up for return. But I did a quick google search for my TV brand and Tivo. Sure enough, other people had complained about the same issue, but one person posted a code that they said worked for theirs. I tried it. It worked.

So, one less returned Tivo Mini, but I'm less than impressed overall. That being said, I now need another Roamio to replace the other S3, and 3 more Minis for my kid's rooms! I love Tivo.

EDIT: But Wait! The story isn't over! I just ordered an HDMI switch for $8.30 from Amazon. That isn't too terrible...but Tivo should still fix this HDMI handshake issue!

Last edited by KevinG : 12-03-2013 at 08:44 AM.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
...but Tivo should still fix this HDMI handshake issue!
Agreed. All of my HDMI experiences before the mini were "plug it in and it works". Weird to see it cause so many problems with one of the three minis in my house.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Futureinsights

Hhhmmm, must be a roamio issue. Get great streaming, not so great hdmi cord (need to replace), Netflix much better than roku (using moca), NONE of the reboot, handshake issues reported. Ordered my mini off amazon, using TiVo premiere 4.
Futureinsights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureinsights View Post
Hhhmmm, must be a roamio issue.
Nah, nothing to do with the Roamio. It's entirely the mini's handling of HDMI from *some* tv manufacturers. The strange part is that these same tvs work flawlessly with *every other hdmi device*.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote