TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
patrone

Roamio Download to iPad

Does anyone here download shows from their Roamio to their iPad from out of home? I'm trying to get an idea of a typical file size for those downloaded shows. Will it be the traditional 6-7GB per HD hour? Or are the files compressed and scaled down significantly to account for the limited space on a tablet? Thanks!
patrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
moyekj

OOH downloads are same as in home downloads, with 3 different quality choices. Files are transcoded to low bit rate H.264, so significantly smaller in size than the original recording. Here's some ballpark file sizes for each for a source 1080i HD 1 hour recording:
BASIC: 400 MB (544x400 @ 800 Kbps)
MEDIUM: 600 MB (960x540 @ 1.24 Mbps)
HIGH: 1.05 GB (1280x720 @ 2.24 Mbps)

BASIC quality is just terrible IMO on my iPad so don't plan on using that unless you can tolerate terrible looking picture. (May be OK for a phone screen but I doubt it).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
patrone

Thanks! This helps a lot! I was worried that a 16GB tablet wouldn't be sufficient to download a few shows for flights or fully download a 3 hour hockey game....but given that I usually watch & delete I think 16GB should be fine. Thanks again!
patrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
wco81

My streaming and downloading are spotty now.

Lot of shows, both recorded and live, fail to stream for whatever reason in home and downloading often hands on "calculating" endlessly.

I power cycled my Roamio Plus and I was able to download like 3 or 4 30-minute recordings but now, it's hanging on "calculating" again.

Anyone else see this?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
jbaum

All weekend my roamio has sputtered when i stream in house with very annoying pauses. When I download 60 mins shows take at least 1.5 hours at basic quality.

Any ideas?
jbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
wco81

Maybe the encoder is not up to snuff?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
ShoutingMan

Streaming works fine for me, but downloading shows for watching on travel is problematic. It takes many tries and us very, very slow.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote