TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
siratfus

Roamio/Mini set-up with Fios question...

Am I wrong to think that with Fios, my set-up is much simpler than the way TIVO explains it?

I'm under the impression that my main box does not need to be in the same room as the router. That it can be connected via Ethernet or Moca. But the Tivo illustrations and wording makes it sound like you need both.

My router right now is in another room, and my plus is working with a simple coaxial. No ethernet. The fios guy was surprised. So when I'm ready to install tivo minis in the other rooms, all I need is to connect the coaxials of those rooms into the Mini, correct? Am I missing something? Are we required to hook up the main box to a router if we want to use Minis? The tivo instructions and this guy's Amazon review is confusing me because they make it sound like you're required to hook up the main box to the router.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R339AFZ...=&nodeID=&tag=

I'm correct in assuming it is that simple with Fios, right? Because they install something in our garage, and isn't that the Moca Network Adapter? Or is the Moca network adapter built into the fios router or something? Isn't that the reason why my main box functions with just the coaxial? If I had the Minis in hand, I would test everything myself without asking. But without the minis right now, I'm just anxious for clarification.

Last edited by siratfus : 12-02-2013 at 04:08 AM.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
bmwhitetx

1. The guy in the review is a woman. She does not have Fios so uses the Tivo as a Moca bridge so that all other coax connections have Internet via Moca.
2. Your Fios router already bridges Internet over to coax so any coax can support a Moca internet connection.

So yes you're set with just coax to get the needed Internet connection.
bmwhitetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Fios can make Tivo pretty simple.

The Actiontec router (the smaller black one) has MoCA built-in, which creates the moca network all over your home. The 6-tuner Roamios only need a coax connection. Ditto for the Mini. Boom, done. No ethernet needed for anything.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-02-2013 at 01:55 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
El Maestro

I've got a Roamio Pro with 2 Minis set up on my MoCa network with FIOS and it works very well, both in and out of home. I suggest you log into the Actiontec to set static IPs for the Roamio and the stream, but other than that I didn't have to do any tinkering or anything.
El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
siratfus

Awesome! Thank you for the confirmation.

For equipments with only ethernet and without moca input, I'm thinking of using these...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EQ4BQG/...=IZETQUGDFIMMI

I see two ways of using this, either split the source coaxial, this would allow two equipments to connect to the network. One coaxial will go directly into the tivo mini, and the other will go into the network adapter, then an ethernet from the adapter to the 2nd equipment.

OR,

Do not split coaxial. Plug coaxial in the adapter and plug an ethernet switch/hub in the ethernet port (reviews already mention it works with a switch/hub). Then plug all equipment including tivo mini via ethernet cables.

Do you guys see a disadvantage with either method? I'm thinking if there is any disadvantage, it would be option 1, splitting the coaxial may make the signal weaker?
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

The first option might work, but you might have to go with option #2. Every once in a while someone reports having an issue with either a moca adapter or a Mini when they're on opposing legs of a splitter like that. Option 2 is the work-around if you're having problems with #1.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
bmwhitetx

Note Tivo sells these Moca adapters for $50 each. I have one from Amazon and it works great. I do know Verizon boxes, if you still have any, do not like them so you need to use a splitter to feed the bridge and the Verizon Stb. However it works with a pass through connection for a Tivo that needs both coax and Ethernet like my two tuner premier which does not have the internal bridge like the 4 tuner premier.
bmwhitetx is offline   Reply With Quote