TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Tanquen

Roamio is way faster transferring to PC.

I'm getting 8-12Mbps from my HD TiVo's but I just tried the Roamio and got 95MBps. Wow, I may start moving shows to the NAS and not worry about local TiVo drive space anymore.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I'm getting a little less then 100Mbps to PC, and 180-190Mbps between Roamio's. Awesome speed. I transferred about 20 shows from a Plus to a new Pro last night and it flew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
NJguy

I'm thinking of upgrading the 1GB drive to an 3GB drive in my Plus (since I have one from work). Any suggestion on loading the shows on my plus hard drive to the new hard drive. I only have 1 Roamio so I cannot connect two.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading the 1GB drive to an 3GB drive in my Plus (since I have one from work). Any suggestion on loading the shows on my plus hard drive to the new hard drive. I only have 1 Roamio so I cannot connect two.
You can only transfer to/from tivo and computers or another tivo, and also one at a time.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Tanquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
There was a boot disc that you used with a PC and the two drives. You would copy the one to the new drive and then resize the partition. Not sure if you can use that same utility and newer TiVo’s with 2.6TB drives.

I’m using KMTTG TiVo now to move shows of my HD units. You should be able to do that and almost 10 times faster. You can select and queue up as many shows as you like and it will save a .TiVo and .MPG file but I’m not sure about putting them back. At least you would still be able to watch them. I thought I saw some say they could play the .TiVo files from their PC on the TiVo. ???
Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
There was a boot disc that you used with a PC and the two drives. You would copy the one to the new drive and then resize the partition. Not sure if you can use that same utility and newer TiVoís with 2.6TB drives.

Iím using KMTTG TiVo now to move shows of my HD units. You should be able to do that and almost 10 times faster. You can select and queue up as many shows as you like and it will save a .TiVo and .MPG file but Iím not sure about putting them back. At least you would still be able to watch them. I thought I saw some say they could play the .TiVo files from their PC on the TiVo. ???
None of the existing tools (MFSLive, WinMFS, jmfs, etc) will work on a Roamio. I'm working on a new program but it's probably several months away.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
Yeah, I'm getting a little less then 100Mbps to PC, and 180-190Mbps between Roamio's. Awesome speed. I transferred about 20 shows from a Plus to a new Pro last night and it flew.
You should be getting those same fast 180Mb/s speeds to the PC too.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yeah, I thought that too, but haven't seen it with kmttg, and the PC is gigabit and to the same gigabit switch as the Roamio's. I need to figure this out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
Yeah, I thought that too, but haven't seen it with kmttg, and the PC is gigabit and to the same gigabit switch as the Roamio's. I need to figure this out.
Roamio->Roamio has no overhead and transfers the stream as is (and in TS container). TTG on the other hand involves decrypt,demux,remux,encrypt and unless you have VideoRedo you will want to transfer in PS container if you want to decrypt it which is slower than TS container, so it's expected that TTG transfers are slower than MRV transfers.

You can probably get faster transfers enabling TS transfers in kmttg, but as mentioned if you are planning on decrypting the transfers then it won't be much good to you unless you have VideoRedo.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Tanquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Remember that’s 180Mbps and not 180MB/s. From Tom’s Hardware: So what is a gigabit? It is 1,000 megabits, not 1,000 megabytes. There are eight bits in a single byte, so let’s do the math: 1,000,000,000 bits divided by 8 bits = 125,000,000 bytes. There are about a million bytes in a megabyte, therefore a gigabit network should be capable of delivering a theoretical maximum transfer of about 125 MB/s.

Even at the max of 125MB/s there are headroom issues that get their take. On my all gigabit network I max out at 100MB/s between devices. So my 95-ish Mbps is only really like 10MB/s. I’d love to see 180Mbps but like the HD TiVo’s at 14MBps-ish max, even if they are not doing anything else I think they limit the bandwidth so the drive has enough bandwidth for recording and playback at any moment.

Last edited by Tanquen : 12-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Remember that’s 180Mbps and not 180MB/s. From Tom’s Hardware: So what is a gigabit? It is 1,000 megabits, not 1,000 megabytes. There are eight bits in a single byte, so let’s do the math: 1,000,000,000 bits divided by 8 bits = 125,000,000 bytes. There are about a million bytes in a megabyte, therefore a gigabit network should be capable of delivering a theoretical maximum transfer of about 125 MB/s.

Even at the max of 125MB/s there are headroom issues that get their take. On my all gigabit network I max out at 100MB/s between devices. So my 95-ish Mbps is only really like 10MB/s. I’d love to see 180Mbps but like the HD TiVo’s at 14MBps-ish max, even if they are not doing anything else I think they limit the bandwidth so the drive has enough bandwidth for recording and playback at any moment.
I see around those speeds with transfers using TiVo Desktop and KMTTG from my Roamio Pro. My Roamio basic doesn't go past 95Mb/s whether using a wired(which is expected since it's 100BT) or a 5Ghz wireless connection(I had hoped the wireless would be faster but it must be routed through the ethernet connection or something).

On my gigabit network I'll easily exceed 900Mb/s throughput between PCs. I've never had issues with it only maxing out at 800Mb/s.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote