TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
lmv

Sat 1 no signal

Signal on sat 2 - 95%
Started about 8am Denver
We have a little snow here but nothing on the dish, lnb etc.

I'm not sure what is happening maybe it's a different problem
When I try to toggle between channels the second will say seaching for sat 1
but that won't play any of the channels
if I toggle back then I can scroll through all channels
Has my DVR had it?
----------
Rebooted and it was weird. It was on favorites but all previous favorites not in list so thought the channels weren't working. With some work it is back to normal. Reprogramed some favorites and now I can toggle between channels... and NO more searching for sat 1.

Last edited by lmv : 11-21-2013 at 02:31 PM.
lmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmv View Post
Signal on sat 2 - 95%
Started about 8am Denver
We have a little snow here but nothing on the dish, lnb etc.

I'm not sure what is happening maybe it's a different problem
When I try to toggle between channels the second will say seaching for sat 1
but that won't play any of the channels
if I toggle back then I can scroll through all channels
Has my DVR had it?
----------
Rebooted and it was weird. It was on favorites but all previous favorites not in list so thought the channels weren't working. With some work it is back to normal. Reprogramed some favorites and now I can toggle between channels... and NO more searching for sat 1.

What model number and brand?

Some Series 2 DirecTiVos had a one tuner working, one tuner not working problem that was actually a symptom of the power supply falling victim to "capacitor plague".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
lmv

Directv Tivo R10
Series2
R52180
SW VERSION 6.4a01-2-521

So what does "power supply falling victim to "capacitor plague" mean, and is there a solution besides a new DVR?

Directv Tivo R10
Series2
R52180
SW VERSION 6.4a01-2-521
lmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Directv Tivo R10
Series2
R52180
SW VERSION 6.4a01-2-521

So what does "power supply falling victim to "capacitor plague" mean, and is there a solution besides a new DVR?
Go to wikipedia and look up "capacitor plague" to find out why there are so many S2 and S3 power supplies with problems.

The problem is specific to mis-manufactured capacitors of the type of capacitor known as an electrolytic capacitor, and it's the mis-manufacturing (or outright counterfeiting) that's the problem--the replacements have to be electrolytics as well.

You'll want replacements that are the same rating in microFarads (uF), and the same rating in voltage (if you absolutely can't get that, go to the next higher value, for instance if the bad one is rated for 16V, go with 25V if you can't find the same uF at 16)

You must use Low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance), which you may see referred to as low impedence, but look for caps that are specified to be Low ESR.

They must also be rated for 105 degrees (Centigrade/Celsius, not Fahrenheit), not the 85 degrees general purpose electrolytics are rated at.

You will not find what you need at Radio Shack, though if there's a Fry's nearby they might have them.

You might find this of interest

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Power-Supply/

and I'm going to PM you a link to a page at a site which is blocked from mention on this site, and I'll include my email address in case it gets blocked in PMs as well.

Also go to this forum, click where it says Search This Thread on the right of the black bar near the top and enter "capacitor", and you'll find a lot of posts about the capacitor problem--they don't deal with your model, but the basics of replacing them are the same.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=51

You should be able to get out for about $10 worth of parts, as opposed to $100 or so for a replacement supply.

It's not absolutely guaranteed that bad caps are the cause of your problem, but there's a very good chance of it.

Be sure to observe polarity when soldering in the new caps and remember rule number one:

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
----------
Probably just some moisture got into one of the satellite coax cable connections, or LNB connector, feeding that R10 tuner. Did you try swapping the two SAT INPUT cables on the back of the R10? If it happens again, try that. If the problem moves to the other tuner, then it's a problem with that coax cable's signal feed.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
nmiller855

I replaced the power supply on a Hughes Series 2 SD-DVR40. I get good signals on both tuners but only get the channel banners & no picture. Under system information it says account closed but I have 2 other DirecTiVos currently working. DirecTv's only offer is to send me a non-TiVo as a replacement aftef trying to reauthorize my unit. It was previously on my account.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote