TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
srauly

Roamio as alternative to Plex / XBMC for movies?

I've been out of the loop for a while and am thinking about coming back to Plex. Right now I have a Windows Media Center PC w/XBox 360 as an extender. I also have Plex running on that WMC machine and use a nettop PC in the other room (running XBMC w/PleXBMC) for playing back high-bitrate Blu-ray rips, etc., that are stored on the main server.

I think the answer is "no" based on the searching I've done here, but I'm wondering if it's possible to have an all-in-one solution with a Roamio playing back my high-bitrate movies. What, if any, options are there and what are the pros/cons involved?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Tapwave Zodiac news, reviews, and discussion -
srauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
srauly

Just to clarify...I see that there is another forum dedicated to this type of topic, but I'm particularly interested in finding out if the newer Roamio hardware is capable of playing high-bitrate MP4 (e.g., Blu-ray rips) without the need for transcoding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Tapwave Zodiac news, reviews, and discussion -
srauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
shortcut3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post
Just to clarify...I see that there is another forum dedicated to this type of topic, but I'm particularly interested in finding out if the newer Roamio hardware is capable of playing high-bitrate MP4 (e.g., Blu-ray rips) without the need for transcoding.
Without transcoding, I don't think so.

I gave up on PyTivo and kept my XBMC HTPC connected, so I can't really comment very much. The XBMC experience is much richer. I use an i5 Intel NUC with Win 8.1 so it's small and extremely fast, not much gained from removing it other than switching inputs. I didn't like having to manage space on the Roamio with PyTivo. Others have had more success.
shortcut3d is offline   Reply With Quote