TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
joy_division

How many MoCA's do I need if...

I am going to get a Roamio with the built in MoCA. I want to get a Mini for the kitchen TV, which will need a MoCA, but does my router need a MoCA too if the Roamio has one built in?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
steve101

The Mini has MOCA built in - the coaxial port on the back says 'Moca'.
The Roamio will function as a MOCA master since you do not have MOCA yet.
You do not need MOCA on the router but you may need a POE (point-of-entry) filter on your cable to stop the MOCA Signal from leaving your house.
steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Joy, if the Roamio is connected to your router by ethernet, then it will server as the MoCA router. If you need the Roamio connected to your router via MoCA, then yes, you will need a MoCA adapter for the router.

I have my Roamio wired to my router via ethernet, and 6 Minis connected with no adapters anywhere. Everything uses built-in MoCA.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Joy, if the Roamio is connected to your router by ethernet, then it will server as the MoCA router
The Roamio will not be connected to my router via ethernet. Do I need it connected to the router via MoCA, or only if I want to do streaming? Or will the mini not work unless my Roamio is connected via MoCA?

So, let's make this clear.

I want a Roamio and a mini. How many MoCA adapter do I need? I will not be using ethernet anywhere.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

For that setup, you'll need 1 moca adapter. It should be connected to your router and cable modem as shown in the below picture. Then ethernet won't be needed anywhere.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-06-2013 at 10:20 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
The Roamio will not be connected to my router via ethernet. Do I need it connected to the router via MoCA, or only if I want to do streaming? Or will the mini not work unless my Roamio is connected via MoCA?

So, let's make this clear.

I want a Roamio and a mini. How many MoCA adapter do I need? I will not be using ethernet anywhere.
You will need to have the units connected to the internet at all times for them to function correctly, not just for streaming.

You can have a Roamio and Mini with just coax. You will need ONE Moca adapter connected to the router, unless you have FIOS for your internet service. (FIOS provides Moca networking)

The adapter will create the Moca network and then the Roamio and Mini will both connect to your ethernet network/ the internet via Moca networking over the coax.

As mentioned above, if you are not using FIOS it is also recommended that you use a Moca POE (point of entry) filter on the incoming line to block your Moca networking signal from leaving the house. (<$10 delivered on ebay... tivos shipping is high)

Edit to add: oops, got distracted while writing my reply and got beaten to the punch by a pretty picture!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
joy_division

Yes, I have seen this picture, but I have Fios, which is a modem and router together. I am "guessing" that ethernet from MoCA adapter goes to ethernet WAN connection on verizon router. Am I correct?

And then both Roamio Plus and Mini have MoCA built in so that coax goes into back and voila, I'm done?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

If you have FiOS the hard work is already done, the FiOS router is MoCA so you already have a full MoCA installation, you need zero MoCA adapters, just plug the mini and Roamio in, and TAH DAH!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
joy_division

Great, thanks once again Dianebrat. And thank you Ignad. I didn't see your response as I was typing my question in.

I guess that's one more reason to stay with Verizon rather than switch back to Cablevision. They just better give me some sort of deal when my current deal expires next month. Otherwise, I'll go with a MoCA adapter to the cablevision router.