TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
Jayboy3

Network Roamio -- Same Cat5 for Tivo and internet access for computer

I have what seems like a simple question but so far haven't found an answer.

I'm networking a new house (new to me, old house), and I want to run ethernet cable (Cat5) from a single Roamio to several rooms throughout the house. The reason I choose ethernet over MoCA is that I want to have internet access for computers in those rooms also. (And smart TV's, and other smart devices like PS4).

Can it all be one ethernet cable to each room? Or should I go ahead and run 2 -- one from the router, and one from the back of the Roamio for streaming content?

Thanks for any replies. I was thinking that perhaps the Roamio, if plugged into the back of the router (it will be co-located) might just talk to all the rooms, and I would perhaps use a switch box at the other end to enable two or more devices (such as a bedroom that has a computer and a TV with a Tivo Mini or Smart TV functions).

Seems like this would have already been asked and answered 1,000 times.
Jayboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboy3 View Post
I have what seems like a simple question but so far haven't found an answer. I'm networking a new house (new to me, old house), and I want to run ethernet cable (Cat5) from a single Roamio to several rooms throughout the house. The reason I choose ethernet over MoCA is that I want to have internet access for computers in those rooms also. (And smart TV's, and other smart devices like PS4). Can it all be one ethernet cable to each room? Or should I go ahead and run 2 -- one from the router, and one from the back of the Roamio for streaming content? Thanks for any replies. I was thinking that perhaps the Roamio, if plugged into the back of the router (it will be co-located) might just talk to all the rooms, and I would perhaps use a switch box at the other end to enable two or more devices (such as a bedroom that has a computer and a TV with a Tivo Mini or Smart TV functions). Seems like this would have already been asked and answered 1,000 times.
Yes, one Ethernet line is fine.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Jayboy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yes, one Ethernet line is fine.
Roamio to router, router out to the rooms, done?

Switch box at the other if multiple devices?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
elborak
Jack of Some Trades

Quote:
I'm networking a new house (new to me, old house), and I want to run ethernet cable (Cat5) from a single Roamio to several rooms throughout the house.
First, I'd run Cat5e or Cat6 if you're running new cables. Given the cost of gigE these days, there's no reason to stick with 100BASE-T.

Quote:
Can it all be one ethernet cable to each room? Or should I go ahead and run 2 -- one from the router, and one from the back of the Roamio for streaming content?
There's no harm in running two, and if it's convenient I'd do it for simple redundancy purposes; accidentally put a nail through a cable? switch to the backup and you're up and running again in minutes.

But there's no technical reason you'd need a dedicated network just for the TiVos. Streaming to Minis (which I assume is your plan) will still leave you plenty of throughput with gigabit.

Quote:
I was thinking that perhaps the Roamio, if plugged into the back of the router (it will be co-located) might just talk to all the rooms, and I would perhaps use a switch box at the other end to enable two or more devices (such as a bedroom that has a computer and a TV with a Tivo Mini or Smart TV functions).
That's pretty much my configuration. I've run Cat5e to each room (or in some cases one to each end of a large room) and if I need more ports, I just add a small switch at that point. The only real nuisance of this approach is the need for another outlet to power the switch.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Roamio to router, router out to the rooms, done? Switch box at the other if multiple devices?
Yes to both. It will work just as any other Ethernet network you have. If there are already coaxial cable lines run throughout the house you shouldn't even have to run Ethernet. You could use moca over the existing coax instead.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
trip1eX

I only ran one cable. But I only had to make 2 holes in a closet to run my cables because I had a drop ceiling in a basement and because of my home's layout ...and because i used the existing coax to pull new cables through the floor joists. But it is more desirable to run multiple cables in case of a problem now or in the future.

I ran cat6 to make it more future proof.

Oh and multiple cables are also good if you don't want to have a switch in every room that contains multiple devices.

I have 2 switches and am already looking at adding a 3rd. In hindsight maybe I should have should have run 3 or 4 cables to every room. Although I'd still have to have a switch where they would all terminate. And the cost of the cables adds up especially cat6.

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-21-2014 at 01:37 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
trip1eX

Quote:
Roamio to router, router out to the rooms, done?

Switch box at the other if multiple devices?
Yep.

Tip: I used my existing coax to help pull my ethernet cables and new coax through the floor joists. Also it is a good idea to run a length of string with any new cables for this very purpose in the future.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
squint

You can always use a ferret to run wires.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
telemark

It's not uncommon to see 2-3 runs per room in new construction. I believe one is expected to be used for phone.

Even in offices, they'll still run that way, one for computer ethernet, one for VoIP ethernet.

A reason you might want this over a switch per room, is if your central switch is gigabit for example. Then the switches that go into the rooms might have to be gigabit as well, sometimes to support just 1 gigabit device and 1 slow device.

So you might save some money by not buying multiple gigabit switches for each room. The difference might not be worth discussing to some unless there's a few rooms involved.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Jayboy3

I think I'll run a bunch of lines.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Jayboy3

Does anyone know if the Roamio can do ethernet and MoCA in combination? I have a main house, which will be ethernet. But there is an addition which is isolated, not connected by crawl space or attic. But the cable company has previously run cable coax to this addition. I was thinking I could just MoCA that line with the Roamio, and done.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Yes, you can have a mix. Activate the MoCA on the Roamio and then connect Minis however you want. Most of my Minis are connected via MoCA, but I have 2 that are connected via CAT6.

If you don't want to do the cable runs, you can also buy MoCA adapters for each room where you need ethernet access. Some have built-in switches. If you install a MoCA 2.0 adapter at your router, you can use it for higher speeds. The Roamio would then just join on to the MoCA network (albeit at a slower speed since the Roamio is only capable of 1.1). This will allow faster speeds for ethernet devices connected via MoCA.

Running cables can be an arduous task, but there are a lot of rewards with it.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Time_Lord

Although I think you made your decision already to run multiple cables to each location (the better choice IMHO) I thought I'd answer your question about using a single ethernet drop and then split it to 2 devices.

First do you want to divide that cable up to support more than 2 devices? if yes you will need a switch, this will allow multiple devices to share 1 drop.

If you only want to support 2 devices then you can simply divide the cable into 2 connections, each 100Mb/s ethernet connection requires 2 pairs and there are 4 pairs in a standard ethernet cable and actually there are adapters that will break the pairs out for you. http://www.showmecables.com/product/...ng-Scheme.aspx

HOWEVER there is one caveat you need to be concerned with when splitting an ethernet cable, if both the node (Roamio, computer etc) supports 1Gb/s and your switch also supports 1Gb/s you may have issues negotiating a connection at 100Mb/s (you need all 4 pairs for GigE) since both devices will recognize that 1Gb/s is supported.

One last word of advice, avoid the CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire, spend the extra $$ and get solid copper wire, the CCA wire although will probably work it technically does not meet the specs for ethernet, its run length is shorter than copper and also is not UL listed.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Jayboy3

Thanks for that. I'm getting ideas that help.